The Triple-Tickle Tripartite Inter-Forum Cryptic Crossword Challenge!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Hello. :)

How awful to have you Office Party people here and becoming bored. I can't see much future for you, I think you've already lost -- but still, my mother has you in the sweepstakes so I'm (in the end) glad you're here!

And where is here?

Well, you happen to find yourself in the most interesting of threads; one that shall entertain, bamboozle and hopefully charge your cleverness glands with excitement. What you gots here is an inter-forum challenge. A crossword of most devious and nefarious naughtiness set by a man who comes from the Isle of Scilly and would like to engage your thought receptors in some thinking type fun.

But whatever does it mean?

Why, allow me to explain -- The cryptic crossword you can find below has been posted in three forums [The Office Party, The Whimsical Pursuits & The Western Forum] and the idea is that you are now in a rather marvelous and gentle competition with the regular users of the other forums to solve the puzzle.

Solve the puzzle, you say?

Yes, solve the puzzle. Answer as a forum team, working out the clues, getting the answers, discovering the theme and generally having a good old time by working those little grey cells you tried to think you'd lost over the xmas period. But remember, no peeking at the other forums threads!

But whats in it for me, you ask!

I cannot help but answer a question asked with such vigor! What's in it for you is a pat on the back, some fun and the sub-forum crown of first to complete the puzzle! You might even find something interesting to write about through a subtle process of crosswordism.

You get the idea? Good.

So, without further ado ...

Over to you. :)

op20z.png

DOWN

1 – A short saint joins a cute alien and is closely followed by a boy child – if you don’t get this I’ll eat my hat! (7)

2 – The day the countdown stops -- Sometime after Sunday and before Tuesday. (7,3,9)

3 – Snowy heathens jet crazily in search of melodic material found in a film star’s dentures. (4,6,5)

4 – Nom de plume employed by a Peckinpah character. You may call him Timmy or Zimmy or Tommy if the police are around. (5)

5 – Horse found near area of water mostly enclosed by land. (3)

6 – Stereotypically colorful greeting meets Jewish person who’s apt to play it again – casual racism only ever creates a cartoon character. (8,3)

9 – Blimey! Prefix joins tarty computer. Space now. Then a short cricket club follows, adds a municipality in Schwyz District of Switzerland and ends in a brief question – wrote author without speech marks. (6,8)

11 – Listen, if Davey Crockett could hear a boundary by smell alone he’d have one of these where his nose should be. (8)

12 – Writer interested in the solitude of a peaceful bird. (5,8)

14 – Sheriff of the important parts. Those parts being the top section of a snooker table, a French meat product, a singular sound made at the dentist, and a Norton-esque exclamation. A pretty good fella. (8)

15 – Chilli beans, gasoline, leather and a spark from a one who created an awful Producer may cause western comedy. (7, 7)

16 – Brief regards to sight links one to midget saint and means everything that has gone before is up for future examination. (11)

18 – French king of love wrote westerns. (5,6)

20 – Normal genre from the orient? The opposite, in fact. (5,4)

21 – Eh, you – say in a northern accent? It’s found in them there hills, precious. (4)

22 – A type of car which one can drink in. (6)

23 – Place where Lovejoy may swear at an impotent phallus. (8)

24 – The reverse of a reverse. May be found in Annie Proulx, out on the range or at a sci-fi deck. (6)

27 – Merseybeat via the American west. You looking for me? Well I'm the only man in the doorway. (3,9)

28 – Something for Bent Nailers to aim at? You know it’s missed or you'd hear more boings. (8)

30 – Shot an American drink due to extra MDMA. (7)

31 – A dead place made from an escarpment of cobblers off-cuts? (8)

34 – The Ferret came from one, the Chihuahua limps on one -- a reversal of how some get online. (3)

36 – Ritchie? Christ, no! A gunfighter! Christ, Yes! (5)

Across

7 – One who stomps around hoping to get wet with an early cult, say? (9)

8 – Place where shortened heads up display may give character clue – young blue eyes’ dressing? (5)

10 – A virgin (short) saying. Proclamation of the benefits of happiness in the face of adversity to a comrade. Wistful? Almost. (5,4,3,3,4,7)

13 – Amphetamine led to definite article ending child outlaw. (5,3,3)

17 – Author takes communist Sesame Street cutesy, pauses, then adds a singing Sayer, sodium, and a short road to make himself complete. (6,7)

19 – Wild cat is one helluva critter! (4)

24 – Trousers posh men cottage in? Add tea to a letters afterthought. (5)

25 – Upside-down outlaw found in iron before arrest? (3,5)

26 – Short pleasure button with part of equation pushed into it leads to small forest opposite of west – he could well have starred in a Rawhide. (5, 8)

29 – I heard Missus right’s other half uses them to kick his team. (5)

32 – Leader journalist went with when jumping out of plane. (8)

33 – Maid’s zinc glove upset Burt Lancaster's sexual movements to become film and book. ( 6,2,6)

35 – Director of whores’ company finds crossing in river. (4,4)

37 – Noble savage sees self in gunship? The Pope, Rousseau and Boeing are to blame, not me. (6)

38 – The last of Titanic actor Billy is neither black or white when written by this author. (4,4)
*For clue 38 the second to last letter is an A (although its meant to be an E) Mea culpa, there is no in vino veritas -- just spelling mistakes.*

39 – Something to pull on when riding can be found in bare investigation. (4)

40 – Actor Bruce joins some of Jean Claude and finally finds himself eaten by a British cross reference. (3,3,5)

41 – Where one who created an expensive stalker may find himself after killing a genre with a titular western film. (7,4)

:)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25 Down: Ned Kelly!

39 Down: rein.

Now that the only two easy clues have been found (maybe).... Is this how we're meant to do it, Harry - or is there a magic way for getting the letters into the little boxes?

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
25 Down: Ned Kelly!

39 Down: rein.

Now that the two easiest clues have been found.... Is this how we're meant to do it, Harry - or is there a magic way for getting the letters into the little boxes?

Two for two -- nice work, Mccardy! :)

Unfortunately, there is no easy interface for each forum to add in the clues. My plan was to edit the original when answers were given. Not a good plan, I know -- but a plan none-the-less. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two for two -- nice work, Mccardy! :)

Unfortunately, there is no easy interface for each forum to add in the clues. My plan was to edit the original when answers were given. Not a good plan, I know -- but a plan none-the-less. :)

It's an excellent plan. Are we beating the other lot?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
15 Across: Blazing saddles.

22 Across: saloon.

And that's it for me - the others are wayyy too tricky.

Go, team!

ETA: I really want to know what 21 across is.

Last edited:

MichelleH

Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I love cryptic crosswords. I wish they were more popular in the US because sometimes the British slang trips me up.

I don't think these have been found:

13 Down – Amphetamine led to definite article ending child outlaw. (5,3,3) Billy the kid? Not sure on that one.
38 Down – The last of Titanic actor Billy is neither black or white when written by this author. (4,4) Zane Grey

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I love cryptic crosswords. I wish they were more popular in the US because sometimes the British slang trips me up.

13 Down – Amphetamine led to definite article ending child outlaw. (5,3,3) Billy the kid? Not sure on that one.
38 Down – The last of Titanic actor Billy is neither black or white when written by this author. (4,4) Zane Grey

Oh, well found!!

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Two shots -- two goals!! :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3 Down is - wait for it - JOHN WAYNE'S TEETH! (though I had to run a google to find out if the words "John Wayne's teeth" meant anything to anyone... I got teeth first, then John and swayne was all that was left...)

I'm off to cook dinner now - GO TEAM OFFICE PARTY!!!

ETA: I'm thinking
Trousers posh men cottage in? Add tea to a letters afterthought. (5)
has the letter PS and T in it - but that's all I've got. Anyone?

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
3 Down is - wait for it - JOHN WAYNE'S TEETH! (though I had to run a google to find out if the words "John Wayne's teeth" meant anything to anyone...)

That, Mccardy, is properly nice work. I was a figuring no-one would get that one. Well done. :)