PDA

View Full Version : I've been having the normallest dreams lately

buz
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I never understood when people said things like "It's so strange, I've been having really weird dreams lately." Because ALL my dreams were really weird. I assumed everyone's dreams were really weird too. Dreams are weird, right? How does one measure the degree of craziness such that you can identify an unusual amount of it? I just...didn't get it.

And then it happened. I had dream that wasn't weird. God, it was...downright boring. I dreamt that I woke up late for work and was cursing myself for setting only four alarms instead of five and worried about my boss getting mad and blah blah blah. Completely. Normal. No Johnny Depp flying down onto my Amish farm of prehistoric terror-birds on a spaceship shaped like a giant golden fist and trying to kill people with a severed chicken head wearing nothing but overalls.

And it keeps happening...not very often, but...enough to be disturbing to me. My dreams are turning boring. It's weirding me out.

How about you guys? You have non-weird dreams? Weird dreams? SUPER weird dreams? What is a "really" weird dream? Do you have dreams within dreams within dreams? Does the top keep spinning? :D

backslashbaby
01-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I do have boring dreams, fairly often. Usually the bulk of them are identifiable by boring things from life. They used to be so much better.

I've had some deaths mess up my dreams for a pretty long while, though. I keep arguing with people that they are dead. Dead folks in dreams really don't like you bringing that part up!

I'm sure we'll work it out, but man they can get so touchy about some things ;)

Rachel77
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Most of the time, I don't remember my dreams (maybe they're too boring for me to even bother remembering?).

I recently dreamt I was at work, doing normal work things. Waking up and realizing I then had to go to work was depressing; it felt like I should have been able to bill those dream hours or something...

I also dreamt once that I was trapped inside our company's central database, and had to make my way out by navigating the table joins.

BeatrixKiddo
01-14-2012, 01:40 AM
No Johnny Depp flying down onto my Amish farm of prehistoric terror-birds on a spaceship shaped like a giant golden fist and trying to kill people with a severed chicken head wearing nothing but overalls.

And here I thought I was the only one. :ROFL:

All kidding aside, my dreams are usually weird too. I have the occasional "normal" dream, usually about work, coworkers, etc. But most of the time they're odd, strange, and sometimes downright creepy.

Mclesh
01-14-2012, 01:52 AM
The timing of this thread is funny. This morning I woke up and was struck by how mundane my last dream was. In my dream, I was actually making coffee. (Come on!) And I was befuddled because I lost track of how many scoops of coffee I put in the basket. Snooze.

aadams73
01-14-2012, 01:58 AM
I have super-weird, vivid dreams. Last night I was standing on the porch of a beach house, and Leonard Nimoy was offering me some weed*. And that's one of the most normal ones I can remember.

Also, I was calling him Spock, even though he wasn't in his Star trek costume.

My guy and I love sharing our bizarre-o dreams. Mornings are always interesting around here. :D

*I didn't take it**.

**I've never smoked weed. Yes, really.

Friendly Frog
01-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Most of my dreams are weird, I don't think I recall a totally normal dream at all. Even the dreams about ordinary day-to-day things have odd elements. Like dreaming of your family at home and at the same time have a dinosaur pet. (It ate my cat, not a happy dream.)

I don't mind boring dreams, they beat the depressing ones and the 'ohgodno-I missed-my-exam-oh-wait-I've-been-graduated-for-10-years-now-dreams'.

However I did have a long period in my teenage years where every nightmare had really bad CGI in it. I could tell sometimes when the monster was pasted on the background. Even in my dream the lighting was off. I guess my subconcious had a tight budget.

buz
01-14-2012, 02:06 AM
I have super-weird, vivid dreams. Last night I was standing on the porch of a beach house, and Leonard Nimoy was offering me some weed*. And that's one of the most normal ones I can remember.

Also, I was calling him Spock, even though he wasn't in his Star trek costume.

LOL, that Spock and his weird Bonnaroo adventures...

*I didn't take it**.

**I've never smoked weed. Yes, really.

I believe you. I've never done drugs or had any alcohol whatsoever, but I've had several dreams that involve them...including one where I was trying to tear apart this labyrinth looking for drugs or booze I could ingest but Harry Potter and Pai Mei were there guarding it...

buz
01-14-2012, 02:08 AM
However I did have a long period in my teenage years where every nightmare had really bad CGI in it. I could tell sometimes when the monster was pasted on the background. Even in my dream the lighting was off. I guess my subconcious had a tight budget.

Odd...when I was a kid I had recurring nightmares that were done in creepy animation...(just regular animation, I think these were the days before CGI was at all common.) Maybe the horrible quality of the animation is a reflection of your subconscious terror...;)

KellyAssauer
01-14-2012, 04:55 AM
I have this recurring dream that I'm on a online writer's forum...

:crazy:

Friendly Frog
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Odd...when I was a kid I had recurring nightmares that were done in creepy animation...(just regular animation, I think these were the days before CGI was at all common.) Maybe the horrible quality of the animation is a reflection of your subconscious terror...;)
Heh, and here I thought I was the only one who had nightmares in a TV format. Have to say I have never had a nightmare in animation that I remember, although I reckon I watched far more animation than CGI programmes.

French Maiden
01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I think i need to go get pregnant again to get my weird dreams happening again.

When i was pregnant with my eldest (4), i had the craziest, freakiestdreams imaginable. They were so out of this world it was undiscribable - Now i mostly have regular boring dreams.

Only when I'm really stressed out that i get razy dreams but that somehow relate back to my life.

aadams73
01-14-2012, 06:01 PM

When i was pregnant with my eldest (4), i had the craziest, freakiestdreams imaginable. They were so out of this world it was undiscribable - Now i mostly have regular boring dreams.

I have to say, being pregnant has definitely ramped up the crazy in my dreams--and I've always been a wild, vivid dreamer. There's also often a weird fear component that I've hardly ever experienced before.

I'm thinking about changing my name to Rosemary.

Maramoser
01-14-2012, 07:21 PM
When I used to work at a grocery store I would dream that I was checking customers out. And then I would wake up and go to work! It was unbearably boring. :P

jjdebenedictis
01-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Dreams are part of how your brain processes memories. I've noticed my dreams becoming bland too, and I think it's because I'm not stimulating my brain enough in my day-to-day life.

The reason I say this is because I went to India last year and did a tour in the Rajastan area visiting all these palaces. Suddenly, I was having vivid and amazing dreams again. Furthermore, so were a lot of the other people on the tour; several commented on it.

So my opinion is that the way to jump-start your weird dreams is to make sure your brain has lots of yummy things to process. Go to museums and art galleries, read great books and see great movies, learn to play chess or build circuits, try sky-diving or yoga, etc. Just feed your brain lots.

Siri Kirpal
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I used to have "Calculus" nightmares => I'd be taking the final exam, though I hadn't done the homework. Once I started doing yoga and meditation, the dreams shifted and I was helping the teacher in the Calculus class.

I sometimes dream in odd technicolor: people in green wigs, etc. And have dreams with odd animals, mostly sea creatures, and dreams of flying, though both of these have mostly disappeared after years of meditation.

JJ's comment about why we dream is true. It's also true that meditation can take the place of dreaming. So, I don't dream as much these days.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Mclesh
01-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Only when I'm really stressed out that i get razy dreams but that somehow relate back to my life.

When I was pregnant, I dreamed that I gave birth to kittens. In my dream, my husband was by my side, and I looked down, and I was like, "Hey, that's interesting. I'm having kittens."

So I looked it up afterwards, the significance of a woman dreaming about giving birth to kittens and found that it's pretty common. (?!) If I remember right, it's a manifestation of the stress a pregnant woman feels about her baby being born healthy and whatnot. (Still strange.)

Tepelus
01-15-2012, 01:54 AM
I often have dreams about tornadoes, and usually multiple tornadoes at that, where I try to get loved ones to shelter and they don't listen and the tornado roars through. I also have a lot of dreams from when I used to drive a cargo van for an expedite company, and that's been nearly five years ago since I was a driver. Just the other day I dreamed I was driving my van over the Ambassador Bridge (in my dream it was much more fancy than it really is) from Windsor into Detroit and got lost coming off it trying to find the freeway. Other than the occasional dream of making out with Simon Baker, most of the dreams I remember consist of those two things.

Springs
01-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I've always had very weird dreams, as well. Admittedly, I will occasionally have more boring ones, but thankfully they're few and far between. When I tell my friends that I have weird dreams and they don't believe me, I usually cite one of my weirder ones, which involved a moose race track, a courtroom in the video game section of Toys R Us, and a machine which could use pink laser beams to suck a song out of a box (provided the box had crystals on the side, of course).

backslashbaby
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh, oh. I had a dream last night that reminded me of what I dream of a lot.

I take quick side trips to odd states or continents, and I have to get back on the other side of the country or world 'in time'. Usually, I'm just supposed to be at the beach.

So it's 'hey, I'm supposed to be at Virginia beach tomorrow morning to meet everyone'. So I go to Ecuador first, because Ecuador sounds fun. And now I'm late.

This is a nifty trick of my subconscious to include a lot of scary bridges while I try to remedy the problem :D And unscary Ferris Wheels, for some reason!

amlptj
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
I often have really horrifying weird dreams. I had night terrors as a child and they continue to this day, but now i'm used to them so there not so terrifying. I do have really boring... but still strange dreams as well. I've never had a dream that was completely normal that i almost didnt realize i was sleeping, but they were rather normal for me.

Like last night i dreamed that my Professor/research mentor came over to my house for christmas dinner and that she game my mom a funny card. Then afterwards we went to a hospital for her to explain her/our research and she ended up explaining to me all about her divorce... Rather normal dream although it would NEVER actually happen in real life.

The night before that I dreamed my evil x-roommate turned into a vampire, and was after me because she blamed me for her becoming one. Although she wouldnt tell me why she blamed me. Guess she was too busy trying to kill me with an axe to answer my question.

See it all varies from night to night. Dreams are just what the mind does and "thinks" of while it is shutting down and preforming operational tasks, like turning short term memory into long term memory. So when life is really boring your dreams might end up just as boring.