Man, this is getting OLD . . . (pun intended)

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Job interview day. Shower, shave, dress as if you're going to your first day at work (in tech support, that means dress like you're ready slap on a headset, log in and start taking calls, i.e.: a collared polo shirt, khaki slacks, "sensible" shoes). Not a single tattoo mars my flesh and the most flashy jewelry I'm wearing is a Seiko quartz day/date watch.

Check in with the receptionist, who calls the hiring manager. I am the only person in the lobby besides the receptionist.

The moderately tattooed and facially pierced hiring manager pokes her head through the door and does a double-take right out of a Three Stooges short, then looks around the lobby, almost as if she's wishing the REAL Joseph Ekaitis has stepped out to the restroom. Barely concealing her disappointment, she stands in the doorway (instead of coming forward for the usual handshake greeting) and asks "Are you Joseph?"

I stand. "Yes, I am."

Her shoulders visibly slump. "Please come with me."

The interview lasts barely 15 minutes and consists of reciting a few passages from my resume. No questions about my technical skills (it's a help desk position for which I'm fully qualified). Stand, handshake, thanks for coming.

Within 24 hours, the "thanks for your interest" email arrives.

Should I just tell employers up front that I'm nearly 60 years old instead of wasting the time and gasoline to go to an interview that's little more than a beauty contest audition?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really sorry you're on the interview merry-go-round. I hope your next one is the perfect job, with the perfect HR person, who sees your perfect qualifications instead of your age.

If it's any consolation, I'm only 30, relatively decent looking, relatively intelligent, with a good resume, and interviews are awful, horrible, torture-filled events in my life as well.

I'm keepin' my fingers crossed for ya'!

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww.. Yuk :(

Very bad manners on the part of hiring mgr.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, as I've made virtually every kind of resume/interview flub possible, so the best I can give you is a hug and good luck wishes.

:Hug2:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
If I was you, I would mention it when they offer you the interview. Then if they turn you down, you'll know it's about your age and won't waste time, money and effort going to an interview.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
If I was you, I would mention it when they offer you the interview. Then if they turn you down, you'll know it's about your age and won't waste time, money and effort going to an interview.

no employer will say that they don't want to interview you based on your age.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could do more for you, Joe, than give an "I'm so sorry." Here's to wishing to the next one is a perfect fit for you and the company.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
no employer will say that they don't want to interview you based on your age.

Of course they won't. But it's likely Joe will be able to tell from their reaction (assuming this is on the phone) or by what they put in the email whether or not he's got a chance of getting the job.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It pretty much starts when you turn forty. Just gets worse the older you get. I wish you the best, Joe. Discrimination sucks. Any kind of discrimination.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, Joe!

You might have a point about telling a potential employer up front that you're close to 60 and don't want to waste your time and gas, if the company is looking for someone more "energetic" - which we all know is code for "young" ;)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that hon.

My mom's experienced this too in the past. She's 66 now.

She actually had a hiring manager ask her years ago when she was in her late 40's interviewing for a job at the time (and going gray) if she'd consider dying her hair.

I'm really sorry to hear about this because we're all getting older. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my job after a certain age because this is more rampant then we realize.

It's illegal, yet so many companies still blatantly get away with it.

The company I work for is no better (in my department). When older employees leave, it's usually kids right out of college that get hired on, instead of more older employees, even though several studies have shown that older employees can actually save companies money. They do seem better about hiring "older" workers in other departments though. Just depends.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Is it worse in IT than in other jobs?

I know the IT dept at my place hasn't got anyone over 40. But the other depts are much more spread when it comes to age range.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it...aren't there dates of employment and length of employment/years of experience listed in a resume and/or cover letter? Shouldn't the hiring manager have been able to puzzle that out?

Also, that sucks. I'm sorry.

You might have a point about telling a potential employer up front that you're close to 60 and don't want to waste your time and gas, if the company is looking for someone more "energetic" - which we all know is code for "young" ;)

I hate it when they ask for someone "energetic"...I'm in my twenties but I'm tired most of the time...especially when bored (aka 'at work'). But it doesn't mean I don't try hard...I just...do things slower. :p

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I certainly don't put everything I've done in my 30 years of working life. The damn thing would be 8 pages long.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Is it worse in IT than in other jobs?
Oh, yes. Employers still believe "the kid down the block" is a natural-born tech whiz, which was true when the Apple II dominated the home computer market. Now the havoc wreaked by "the kid down the block" is the main reason people ask me over to dinner when they find out I know how to fix a PC.

Young = knows everything there is to know about Windows 7
Old = still uses MS-DOS.

And despite the stats that say 45 to 60 year old workers are the most punctual, equally reliable and no more likely to call in sick than any other demographic, the stereotypes remain and the reality is the oldies have to cover for the young'uns who keep calling in on Mondays with another case of the Coors Lite flu.

(pardon the 99.99999999999708773649% true stereotype)

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly don't put everything I've done in my 30 years of working life. The damn thing would be 8 pages long.
Well, I know, but I'm saying there would generally be a difference between a 50-something's resume and a 20-something's...generally.

Then again, I've never been a hiring manager. Whaddoo I know :D