Question about a specific detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a fictional romance (inspired by real life) that takes place after a hurricane (some of it takes place before) and was wondering if I should be true to real life (even though this is fiction) and call the hurricane Katrina or should I create a new "unused" name. I know fiction often refers to real-life events, but since I'm new to this type of writing, I figured I'd ask what my options are and what considerations they carry.

Thanks for any input. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. I would go for hurricane Amos (or whatever) but only because it loosens the time frame rather than tying the story to a (admittedly very recent) historical event?

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
veinglory said:
Hmm. I would go for hurricane Amos (or whatever) but only because it loosens the time frame rather than tying the story to a (admittedly very recent) historical event?

I agree, though I have read very good published historical romances which are set in/at very specific events--an earthquake, a famous flood, etc.
Probably a new writer would have more luck breaking in with a generic disaster. :)

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Also by using a generic disaster, the author can combine the effects of more than one. Let's say a fictional disaster that had the effect of Katrina and Hugo combined. (The Gulf coast and the Atlantic coast) Now that would be one bad storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.