PDA

View Full Version : Question about a specific detail

Poppy
12-11-2005, 01:59 AM
I have an idea for a fictional romance (inspired by real life) that takes place after a hurricane (some of it takes place before) and was wondering if I should be true to real life (even though this is fiction) and call the hurricane Katrina or should I create a new "unused" name. I know fiction often refers to real-life events, but since I'm new to this type of writing, I figured I'd ask what my options are and what considerations they carry.

Thanks for any input. :)

veinglory
12-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Hmm. I would go for hurricane Amos (or whatever) but only because it loosens the time frame rather than tying the story to a (admittedly very recent) historical event?

Poppy
12-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Yes, that's what I was thinking, but I just wasn't sure. Thanks, Em. :)

Robin Bayne
12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Hmm. I would go for hurricane Amos (or whatever) but only because it loosens the time frame rather than tying the story to a (admittedly very recent) historical event?

I agree, though I have read very good published historical romances which are set in/at very specific events--an earthquake, a famous flood, etc.
Probably a new writer would have more luck breaking in with a generic disaster. :)

Sonarbabe
12-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Also by using a generic disaster, the author can combine the effects of more than one. Let's say a fictional disaster that had the effect of Katrina and Hugo combined. (The Gulf coast and the Atlantic coast) Now that would be one bad storm.