UPS Customer Service: At their worst when things are at their worst. (a rant)

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
In a far, far less than perfect world, the conversation should go like this:

(after being told by the automated attendant that "Your package was delivered and is in the following location: under the doormat" which it wasn't so I 0'ed out to a live rep)

"Thank you for calling UPS, how may I help you?"

"I got an email that says my package has been delivered but it's not here."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Can you hold while I try to contact the driver?"

"Yes, that'll be fine."

(music, then)

"Thank you for waiting. The driver says he concealed the package in a different location because he didn't want the people who were walking by to see where he left it. He'll be right back."

"Great! Thanks!"

"Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

"No, this is all I needed."

"You have a great day."

"I will!"

Not so on Planet UPS. Instead, the rep launched into her prepared "get rid of this clown and go on to the next call" script: check the front porches of your neighbors as well as those across the street (which I already did); look all around the outside of the house (which I already did); call the shipper, tell THEM what happened and if they feel it's necessary, the shipper can initiate a trace (huh?).

Uh, 'scuse me, but UPS's driver triggered the "it's under the doormat" email, so isn't the ball still in UPS's court? They can track a package from the moment the customer affixes the label until the millisecond it lands on your front porch, but she can't tell the driver "A customer wants to know where the package really is"? I stood my ground and said I wouldn't hang up until the driver was contacted. The rep escalated to a supervisor

The supervisor conferenced me in with the shipper's rep and asked if the shipper wanted to start a trace. When I had the opportunity to speak, I said all I wanted was to know where the driver left the package. The supervisor finally consented to call the local UPS depot.

Minutes later, the depot called and said the driver was on his way back. It is now nearly an hour past the delivery time in the email.

I wait on the front porch. Finally, the big brown truck shows up and the driver reaches into my mailbox, explaining that there were people walking by so he hid the package in the mailbox instead of leaving it on the porch (a felony, by the way: using a clearly marked USPS mailbox for a non-USPS delivery, which is why I never even considered looking in the mailbox). For obvious reasons, "In the mailbox" isn't one of the available options for the driver.

So in answer to the question "How may I help you?", just help me. Is that an unreasonable request?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like the entire world is run by idiots. Today is one of those times, obviously.

So, when you opened the package, was the item broken?

Maryn, thinking it might be

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In our area, there was a rash of UPS thefts over the holidays.

People would actually trail behind the trucks and steal pkgs from porches after UPS left them...

...So, I kinda understand why the driver did what he did. :Shrug:

Doesn't excuse the lousy customer service, however. :rant:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Back in 1997 UPS went on strike just as I had to ship a large number of paintings for a show. I had always used UPS before, but this time with no choice I used the US Post Office.

They were fabulous! The USPS shipping was much cheaper, their timing was reliable, and everything came out fine.

Then I started investigating (a little late, I know) and found lots of artists and art collectors' complaints about UPS, scary stories of packages lost or damaged with no recourse and terrible customer service.

Ever since then, I've always shipped my art via the Post Office. They have been great.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The customer service part is annoying, but I'd personally appreciate a UPS driver who did that for me to make sure my package didn't get ripped off.

Thoughtful on his part since so many packages are stolen off of folks' front porches, etc, these days.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Thoughtful on his part since so many packages are stolen off of folks' front porches, etc, these days.

Since the USPS is now a partner with all the private carriers, you'd think they'd all be able to use the mailbox and "In the mailbox" would be a viable option for the delivery email.

The S.O.P. is knock on the door, wait a reasonable time and then put it under the mat, but the driver didn't even knock (I'm unemployed and was at home).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in Dec, when the video of the UPS guy heaving the computer monitor over the fence was making the rounds, I had a similar situation. I had ordered a new calculator from Best Buy. We're sitting around, visiting with my Aunt and Uncle who had stopped by, and there is loud whump at the front door. The UPS guy had heaved the parcel over the wrought iron gate (which was not locked) a distance of about 15 feet to the corner of the stoop. And ignored the doorbell which was right there by the gate. Thankfully the calculator was fine due to the packing by the factory.

And Joe, you wondered why I didn't want to ship the corning ware?

MM

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
That's a shame Joe.

In our tiny burg in the mountains, we're grateful for our UPS driver. Mark is THE BEST. He's a sweetheart besides. He'll get here in a blizzard when FedEx refuses because they saw a snowflake.

I hope at least your package arrived in good condition.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
In our tiny burg in the mountains, we're grateful for our UPS driver. Mark is THE BEST. He's a sweetheart besides. He'll get here in a blizzard when FedEx refuses because they saw a snowflake.
The service in small towns can be mind-blowingly amazing. People will make a point of doing their absolute best because they care about their community (and the community will mercilessly gossip about them if they don't. There's that, too.)

My grandfather once received a letter that contained nothing for an address except the name of the wrong town.

Two separate small-town post offices worked together to track him down and make sure he got his mail.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
...I wait on the front porch. Finally, the big brown truck shows up and the driver reaches into my mailbox, explaining that there were people walking by so he hid the package in the mailbox instead of leaving it on the porch (a felony, by the way: using a clearly marked USPS mailbox for a non-USPS delivery, which is why I never even considered looking in the mailbox). For obvious reasons, "In the mailbox" isn't one of the available options for the driver.

So in answer to the question "How may I help you?", just help me. Is that an unreasonable request?
Perhaps he was trying to outsmart the thieves, who know that it's a FELONY for someone other than a resident to take something out of a mailbox? No, wait, thieves don't give a shit about laws, do they...

If this is your worst problem with UPS, consider yourself lucky. They'll sell you insurance on a shipment, but I understand the only way they'll pay a claim is when they're taken to court.
Back in Dec, when the video of the UPS guy heaving the computer monitor over the fence was making the rounds, I had a similar situation. I had ordered a new calculator from Best Buy. We're sitting around, visiting with my Aunt and Uncle who had stopped by, and there is loud whump at the front door. The UPS guy had heaved the parcel over the wrought iron gate (which was not locked) a distance of about 15 feet to the corner of the stoop. And ignored the doorbell which was right there by the gate. Thankfully the calculator was fine due to the packing by the factory.

And Joe, you wondered why I didn't want to ship the corning ware?

MM
That's another thing. You need to pack every package to survive AT LEAST a six foot drop. There are supposedly converyor belts that push packages around and they drop off the end at least that far.

And never put "Fragile" on ANY package shipped by any carrier. I understand they take it as a challenge and go for "drop kicking a goal." Perhaps shipping companies employ lots of former football players.

For the packages I've shipped and received I like USPS much better than UPS - it's both faster and cheaper.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
And never put "Fragile" on ANY package shipped by any carrier. I understand they take it as a challenge and go for "drop kicking a goal."
How about "Please throw underhand"? ;)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the USPS is now a partner with all the private carriers, you'd think they'd all be able to use the mailbox and "In the mailbox" would be a viable option for the delivery email.

The S.O.P. is knock on the door, wait a reasonable time and then put it under the mat, but the driver didn't even knock (I'm unemployed and was at home).

Hmm...it is odd that he didn't try to knock first. I think part of the problem is the time crunch so many of these drivers are on. I know whenever I see a UPS truck driving down the road, they are always speeding.

Just glad you found the package eventually.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to be home, or someone else you trust, and you want the package hand delivered, just ask the sender to specify Adult Signature Required. Then the UPS driver has to have the parcel signed for by someone at the residence who is at least twenty-one years old.

I live in a decent neighborhood, but I'd never dream of having shipments left outside in front of my home for anyone who happens by to steal. I can't believe UPS, or any other shipping company, actually does that anyway, as if packages are abandoned outdoors instead of safely delivered.

Speaking of UPS, several years ago I used them to send a sizable shipment overseas through my business. The packages disappeared somewhere along the line and could not be found. It proved a serious hardship for my company at the time, as the goods had to be remade and sent again.

Thankfully, I had paid extra to have the shipment insured through UPS. But when it came time to collect, I was given the biggest runaround imaginable. The last straw came when I was told to "prove it."

"Prove what?" I said.

"We need you to prove the value of the shipment before we can release the funds."

That was bullshit, of course. I could have sent ten cents worth of goods and insured it for a million dollars, and they'd still owe me the difference.

So I called my attorney, who straightened them out in no time flat and had a check in hand for me the following week.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One other thing: Customer Service is a misnomer and is meant to benefit the company, not its customers. Regardless of the complaint, you will almost always be made to feel as if something is wrong with you, and never with the company's products or services.

Just remember that the next you call to complain and are left on hold indefinitely, with a cheery voice reminding you every few minutes that, Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold until the next available representative can take your call.