Social strata, Daily life in Ancient Rome (100 BC-200 AD) - Recommended reading?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'm about to start researching a story set in Rome between about 100 BC and 200 AD. I'm pretty well set as far as the political climate, things like that, but I need to do some reading about daily life (all social classes), differences between the social classes, gender roles/issues, and sex/marriage. I've been poking around on the web, of course, but wanted to see if anyone has any specific recommendations for books on these subjects.

Anyone? :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Also poke around art and archeology books. I've got one called "Glass of the Caesars" which was really helpful with intimate details of glassware commonly used. There are a lot of museum exhibit catalogs, too, if you can lay hands on them. Don't overlook Egypt, which has some great art-n-artifacts books from the right timeperiod.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
There is literally a series of books called "Daily Life in..." the Byzantine Empire, the Medieval Islamic World, etc. It includes "Daily Life in Ancient Rome," by Jerome Carcopino.

Be aware that the series varies in usefulness; I found the book on the Byzantine Empire to be very helpful, the one on the Medieval Caliphate to be less so.

Cristin_B

Registered
Reaction score
"A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome" by Alberto Angelo has been the best resource I've found in my own research. He describes everything. EVERYTHING. It goes through a day from morning until evening, describing a rich villa and them getting ready in the morning, the poorer classes living in the upper levels of the apartment blocks. He describes restaurants, toilets, shopping, graffiti, the forum, the courts, banquets (including menus), what things would have cost, views on sex. It is amazing!

bernster

Registered
Reaction score
History of Rome, Michael Grant
Not precisely what you're looking for, but a must-read for understanding Rome. Grant is a leading authority...plus a good writer. At a minimum, skim through the book; you'll find ample descriptions of the social classes.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
History of Rome, Michael Grant
Not precisely what you're looking for, but a must-read for understanding Rome. Grant is a leading authority...plus a good writer. At a minimum, skim through the book; you'll find ample descriptions of the social classes.

You know, I just realized I have that book in my home library. One of those "Well, it might come in handy someday" used bookstore purchases from a few years ago. Guess it came in handy after all! :D

Thanks!

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Steven Saylor writes a series of historical mysteries set in ancient Rome. They are well-researched and would give you a sense of the time in a fictional way.

Steve and I were on a committee once upon a time. Rick Riordan and Kate Wilhelm were also on it.

(I needed to brag, name-dropper, me.)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can also find really good information on daily life in the Roman world in 2 DVD sets by The Teaching Company. Pompeii: Daily Life in an Ancient Roman City. Experiencing Rome: A Visual Exploration of Antiquity's Greatest Empire. These sets are spendier than books, by you can often find them in Libraries or get them through inter-library loan.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Alison_Kale

Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey! I love having an aborted Classics degree! I'd suggest Apuleius' The Golden Ass, which isn't entirely Rome but is exactly your time frame, and even better, it's a primary source. It's a novel, and quite funny, about a man who got turned into an ass. There's a lot of gender roles floating about, and romances and awkward sexual moments if I recall right. It's a quick read, and I remember getting the feeling that ancient Rome was an awful lot like modern America.

. . . Oh, shoot. It actually takes place in Greece. That's not Rome at all. But it might give a feel for social norms and relationships, if you keep in mind that the Romans though the Greeks were rather decadent.

LoneRider

Registered
Reaction score
Legionary: The Unofficial Manual and Gladiator: the Unofficial Manual by Phillip Matyszak. Both are fairly good insights at the soldier/gladiator level for those classes of Roman society. It breaks the big picture history down into the nitty gritty details quite well.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
May I trouble everyone for the answer to one question? Online research is conflicting. I have a VR scene and my MC, a table-server, needs to grab a weapon and kill someone.

1. Were forks, spoons, or knives (esp. knives) used at dinner during feasts given by the rich? Specifically, the emperor?

Online I'm seeing in a few places that slaves cut up meat so the guests could pick up pieces with their fingers. I'm thinking that this would be done in the kitchen area, rather than letting a disgruntled slave with a knife near the emperor.

Many thanks.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely not forks. Those were invented in the middle ages, and not commonly used till the 17-18c. (Louis XIV to the end of his life sneered at courtiers who were too dainty to use their fingers like God intended...)

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited: