PDA

View Full Version : give interview about unpublished book?

carefulwithwords
01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi all,

I was asked to do an interview with the BBC for a radio program about my unpublished book. Or rather about the issue my unpublished book addresses which is a little controversial.

I would really like to know if it's wise for me to give an interview about a book that's not even published! I don't have an agent, but my full is currently out to three agents. Should I ask them? Would that be annoying? I really don't want to ask those agents because I don't want them to think I'm impatient or that I'm nudging (its only been a week since I sent my full).

I have to let the BBC know by Friday.
What would you do?

shaldna
01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
if the interview isn't about your book, but about the issue it's addressing and you are considered an expert in the feild then I can't see that it would do any harm in a

'And to talk about the growing problem of abandonment of alien babies in Walmart is Author McAuthorson who is writing a book on the subject'

sort of way, rather than it be about you as a writer. It could certainly help raise your profile and you would be able to mention it in query letters.

waylander
01-11-2012, 07:24 PM
This creates a platform for your book

carefulwithwords
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
no no. The program would not be about my book. Its about the topic my book is about. And my book is fiction and I am not an expert. My only contribution and the only reason they want to interview me is because I wrote a novel about the topic of the program.

So basically, the subject of my interview with them would be my unpublished book. But the subject of the show is not.

carefulwithwords
01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
novels don't need platforms, right? I've never heard of a someone giving an interview about an unpublished novel. I think these people are bonkers for wanting to talk to me. It just goes to show how little info there is about this particular topic. But I don't have any professional background to talk about it! I just wrote a fictional character! Of course I did research, but still! eek.

Terie
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
If you aren't an expert, I'd seriously recommend you decline the invitation. It could be that they misunderstand and think you are an expert. As you say, it's not really appropriate to have an interview about an as-yet-unpublished-or-even-contracted novel. And if you're not an expert, it would not be ethical for you to be portrayed as one. (Not that you're portraying yourself that way...I realise you're not. But an interview by a news station implies some sort of expertise.)

At the very least, ask for more clarification about what they expect from you and why they want to interview you on the topic when you're not an expert. (Again, my guess is that they don't realise it's a novel, not a nonfiction book.)

Oh, and you're right. You don't need a platform for fiction. :)

carefulwithwords
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
They definitely know its a novel. The lady who contacted me heard about my book from a friend and was intrigued by the story-line. It inspired her to do the news story and she wants to include an interview about my story.

I think I'm going to decline. Kinda sucks too, because it seems like good publicity. But its just not the right time :-/

Terie
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
They definitely know its a novel. The lady who contacted me heard about my book from a friend and was intrigued by the story-line. It inspired her to do the news story and she wants to include an interview about my story.

I think I'm going to decline. Kinda sucks too, because it seems like good publicity. But its just not the right time :-/

You could (and I'd say should) ask if you can contact her if and when the book is published. That's a fantastic contact to have if she says yes and if you're successful in contracting the book!