Third go at a book cover

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
First thing that strikes me is the shadow on Mobius. I don't like that personally; it doesn't add anything and I'd remove it.

The other thing is that the cover doesn't really tell me anything - I don't get any sense of what's inside. Perhaps put "a collection of flash fiction" underneath? I didn't see the first version, so I don't know what advice you got. All I know is that the cover as it is now doesn't grab me enough.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Misa. the genre is literary.

Rina Evans

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'd also do away with the shadow and pull the title down until it's in the center of the sky, and also pull up vibrance and saturation of the image to make it 'pop' off the page a little more. It looks a little washed out. I'd also choose the title color out of the darker colors from the field, possibly a dark red. Looks pretty good in black and white/grayscale. :) Just my humble opinion.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
The main problem I have (and I'm not fond of the shadow, either), is that the contrast in the book cover keeps pulling me back and forth between title and author name. The sun feels like too much of a white spot, and where there's strong contrast, your eye will jump back and forth between it.

Darkarma

Master-Mage
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must say I loved the font on the previous Cover attempt, what happened to it?
The shadowing doesn't really work either.

Otherwise a much better attempt

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
It still looks a little amateur, and I agree with the others: the shadowing effect isn't doing you any favors.

Head to the bookstore, take a look around, see what catches your eye in your genre. Then do something similar to that.

hoursforyears

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the shadow should go. I like the background a lot, but the font is sterile and distracts. What program are you using? I can see how this could look really great with some tinkering.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I'm not sure, but I think the vignette may be working against you, too. Perhaps you could try wrapping the text within the sun, so that it makes the text part of the illustration. Try adding "A collection of short stories" underneath "Mobius" to help with that. Perhaps change the font of the author's name so that it matches the rest of the book.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think the vignette may be working against you, too. Perhaps you could try wrapping the text within the sun, so that it makes the text part of the illustration. Try adding "A collection of short stories" underneath "Mobius" to help with that. Perhaps change the font of the author's name so that it matches the rest of the book.

I've put in a few more hours on PS today, and have achieved something that I'm quite pleased with. Bear in mind that I'm not a graphic designer, and can't draw to save my life. Here is my latest, and final effort: http://s14.postimage.org/5m1mj3gvl/mobius2.jpg