The Goal Post

powhitetrashomie

Hello Everyone. I've been a published freelance writer for many years but have been side-lined for several years. Now that my life is calming down some, I'd really like to get back into writing. The easiest way for me to do that is to set goals. I used to run several message boards for writers when I was editor of Writer's Workshop Review Magazine (before the Internet was the Internet), one of whice was called The Goal Post. Hopefully some of you will decide to make use of this tool that's always served me well.

Here's how it works. You post your goals for the week (writing goals certainly but daily living goals as well). They you come back in a week and report how you did. It sort of helps keep you on track with where you want to go in life.

Goal Post for the Week Of 9/22/03
1. Do a brainstorming session.
2. Complete my first 10K walk in 4 years this week.
3. Make a decision on whether or not to revise a novel I finished some time ago to get it market ready.
4. Drink water like a fish!!!

That's all there is to it. Feel free to ask questions or jump right on in with a post of your own.

Do something to make someone smile today, you'll be glad you did.

Greenwolf103

Goal setting

Hi,

Good ideas. Goal setting can be very productive and help you stay focused on your day-to-day tasks.

I just wanted to comment on the 10K thing: If you haven't walked 10K in 4 years, don't you think that's a little too far to go when you just get back into it? Maybe start at 5K and work your way up to 10?

I used to be a runner so I know how far the 10K can be. Argh!

Good luck to you! :)

--Dawn

rtilryarms

goals

I was a runner in my younger days. Then they repealed the Prohibition Act............................................

Greenwolf103

Being a "runner"

LOL! :rollin

Good one, rt!

Eh, but you all know I don't mean "that kind" of runner, right?? Seriously! I *wish* I could run again! :( Stupid leg injury!!

powhitetrashomie

Re: Goals

Sorry I didn't respond before, I must have forgotten to check the box for E-mail notification of replies.

Greenwolf103, yes, doing a 10K for the first time in 4 years would be too much of a stretch had I not worked up to it. However, I've been walking again for months. I've walked 70 miles so far this month alone. I do three miles a day now and it's really not enough as it's not challenging me. However, I fully expect that after my 10K, I'll feel like dying as always. :lol It will be a good tired though.

So far I'm doing pretty well on my goals for the week. My brainstorming session was a success. The Gershwin Piano Rolls CD did the trick again after all this time. :) I haven't done my 10K yet but the week isn't over officially until Monday morning. I'm still deciding about the book too. And I'm doing very well on drinking more water. Still need to improve though.

I made a goal that wasn't on the list at all too! I wrote an article for publication this week! Wahoo! Want to let it set a few days, do another edit, write a cover letter and send it out. That will all be on my list of goals for next week.

Come on now, I've set a good example for you all. Let's see some of your goals.

Do something to make someone smile today, you'll be glad you did.

P.S., How do I get rid of the big photo of myself? Sheesh! You'd think I think I'm IT or something! lol

Jen

Goals

You might get a better response if this was posted under the

Goals and Accomplishments section.

Best of luck!

absolutewrite

Re: Goals

How do I get rid of the big photo of myself?

I wish I knew! It happens to everyone here who has an icon or photo, and I have no idea why.

powhitetrashomie

Re: why

:b jen,
I just might get a better response there but then it wouldn't be The Goal Post. :) This is my baby, see? Goal posts don't really require a reply, but it's nice when it happens.

powhitetrashomie

Re: WAHOO!!!

:D I just had to come tell you all that I did my 10K this morning and finished in just over 2 hours! I'm SO happy!!!

Just one more goal to meet this week. Don't know if I'm gonna get it done before Monday or not. But I'm still a happy camper for my goals for this week.

Jen

Yours?

Funny, I thought this was the Freelance board and that absolutewrite was Jenna's.....

powhitetrashomie

Re: Yours?

Says you with the hidden face and profile. I started the thread, that's all. Sheesh, get a life.

powhitetrashomie

Re: GOAL POST

My goals for last week were:
Goal Post for the Week Of 9/22/03
1. Do a brainstorming session.
2. Complete my first 10K walk in 4 years this week.
3. Make a decision on whether or not to revise a novel I finished some time ago to get it market ready.
4. Drink water like a fish!!!

Progress Report:
1. Completed brainstorming session. Came up with several article ideas. Surpassed my expectations by writing TWO articles for publication.
2. Did my 10K on Saturday! Wahoo! Only I found out it's only been 2 1/2 years since my last one. But still! I'm so happy and feel so fortunate to be ABLE to walk for exercise again. I've got 79 miles under my belt for this month already.
3. I have not made a decision about my novel as yet. At least for now, I'm placing it on the back burner in favor of writing more articles.
4. Did better on drinking water but still need to kick it up a notch.

Goals for the week of 9/29/03:

1. Write at least one more article this week or revise one for a market I have in mind for it.

2. Finish putting up the wall covering in the bathroom.

3. Locate paperwork my husband asked me to find and fax it where it needs to go. (To be completed TODAY.)

4. Write cover letter for one of the articles I wrote this week and submit it.

Everyone have a great week! Do something to make someone smile today, you'll be glad you did.

absolutewrite

Re: GOAL POST

Wait, wait, wait... (gosh, I hate bickering). Jen just meant that there is a separate forum here called "Goals and Accomplishments," which is where I'm about to move this thread, and Powhite just thought you meant she should post her message within someone else's thread called "Goals and Accomplishments." Rule #2 of this board: From now on, no one is allowed to misunderstand anyone ever again. :b

Okay, continue on...

lbasie

:D I don't know about you, Jenna, but at times like this, it makes me glad all I have is a cat. ;)

Greenwolf103

Re: WAHOO!!!

Congratulations on completing your 10K!! That is, like, so fabulous!!

Oh, crap. The valley girl talk snuck into there. :eek

powhitetrashomie

Wahoo!

:D Thanks! I really enjoyed the 10k. I hope to do another one this weekend. You a walker?

Greenwolf103

Re: Wahoo!

I Really wish I could be. But when the temp gets up to 120 degerees, it's too freakling hot to walk. :( Also, my being deaf means it can be a problem with no sidewalks. (As you may perceive, I live in the middle of NOWHERE. And, yes, I have a dog named Courage! LOL) Don't want a car blaring it's horn to end up running into me. :eek But I used to run every day. And gosh, do I miss those days..... (sigh) Ah, I'm getting sentimental. My body's just too darned old to run.

But good luck to you!!! :)

powhitetrashomie

Looks like I missed a week posting my goals. Life gets in the way sometimes. Good news is that of the two articles I submitted a couple of weeks ago, one was accepted for publication and I received a request to slash and burn it to 500 words, which I've done. It's been resubmitted. So, that's pretty good for a really RUSTY writer! Wahoo!

I also wrote a follow-up article for the one that was accepted as it was. Haven't submitted it yet though. Will wait a month or so since this is a quarterly (national,full color, glossy) publication.

My goals for the week of 10/13/03 are to:

1. Look through brainstorming notes and either write an article based on one of those ideas or hold another brainstorming session.

2. Walk every day.

3. Continue seeking employment.

powhitetrashomie

Rusty?

Rusty huh? What types of things do you write? We could take some steel wool to that rust if you'd like? :)

Rhia

Arisa81

Re: Rusty?

I am such a goal person. I make goals for New Years, Goals around my birthday (which is in June), I make monthly goals, weekly goals, and daily goals. I know, it is a bit much, but that's what helps me get things done.

Just yesterday I bought a cute little notebook with flowers and ladybugs on the cover in which I will write my writing goals.

April :star