• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA fantasy betas needed—near final draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straw Spinner

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I have a 75K middle-grade fantasy that is in near-final draft (I hope!). It has been through substantial revisions, thanks to a few betas found on this site. Now, I need a few fresh sets of eyes to take The Adventures of Stanley Delacourt the rest of the way.

I’m looking for a review of the overall story, plot, characters, pacing, etc. In other words, anyone looking at it should pretend this is a real book. Would they want to buy it? Would they recommend it to friends? Why or why not?

A little bit about it: fans of Pullman and Snicket might find it to their liking. I’d be glad to give a synopsis (or copy of my query letter) if you need more detail.

Would be glad to swap beta’ing as well; I feel my strong points are spotting plot holes, increasing “believe-ability,” and enhancing sentence structure. My beta reads might include fantasy (obv. ;-), paranormal romance, and the like. I am, however, open to other suggestions. I prefer not to read horror or anything too dark in general.

I should have my draft ready around 2-20-12, and am looking to get it back (with comments) two weeks after that. [FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]f anyone is interested, please reply to this post. I’d be happy to exchange a few chapters with you to ensure we’re a match. I’m looking for multiple betas, if that is possible.

Thanks to everyone for reading this post, and anyone who chooses to respond. Happy (belated) New Year!

--Lani (a.k.a. "Straw Spinner")

kysharx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi straw, would it be possible to request a first chapter perhaps, I wouldn't want to waste your time with sending it all if we aren't matched that way. I write fantasy, though perhaps a little gory.

Straw Spinner

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hi kysharx! I appreciate the reply, but unfortunately, "gory" is probably not a good match for me (I'm a bit squeamish that way). Also, since my fantasy is MG, perhaps it might not be "gory" enough for you! Also, I'm working on another draft now, so even if I sent you sample chapters, they might not end up being the ones I even want beta'd.

Thank you, though, for thinking of me.

"Straw"

Status
Not open for further replies.