Romance / Erotica Shorts Pricing and Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking through Smashwords at other erotica writers, as I have a few short pieces I'd like to put up, but I'm having a bit of trouble determining the appropriate length and price that is 'standard'.

I see some books that are 3000 words and 2.99, and others that are 20,000 words and .99.

What price point would something around 3500 words go for? How about something that is a bit more involved, story wise, and 40,000 words? Still erotica, just more plot around it. What about 10,000 words?

I can't really find the balance or the typical prices, and of course it's a lot harder to find out how much success people had with various price points.

I tried looking around, but I've seen a lot of things that say romance and erotica is different in how it's treated by consumers and how much they're willing to pay for a short, but I haven't been able to find out how much to charge.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO for a single short story that is not specialized niche erotic or by an author with a huge rabid fan-base, 99c may even be too much--but that's the minimum if you also want to list at Amazon.

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
By niche would you mean BDSM style or would it be anything that isn't the traditional boy meets girl, boy and girl have soft, consensual, vanilla love?

It's such a shame. I've spent so much time writing this stuff, and reading it, but I have no idea what people's boundaries are. I spent a lot of time on a fantasy erotica stuff where I was told that a very extreme story I wrote didn't need an extreme tag because their level of extreme was faar different from my own.

I'm totally fumbling in the dark here. Thanks so much for your input :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I mean stuff that is a really under-served niche, like smoking fetish, transformation or extreme femdom. In areas like that some people will pay whatever they have to.

Just my approach, but I self-published my shorts in a themed collection. It felt like a better unit for setting a good price point.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I've self-published several short story erotica (in the 3k-word range) at 99 cents. They're basically re-releases, things that were published at a now-defunct website, and it seemed like a reasonable price. One is a collection of three stories, for a slightly longer total word count, but they're shorter than the ones released alone, and the collection is also at 99 cents. If I released a group of the other stories as a collection, I would increase the price, to something a bit less than the number of stories times 99 cents.

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
I mean stuff that is a really under-served niche, like smoking fetish, transformation or extreme femdom. In areas like that some people will pay whatever they have to.

Just my approach, but I self-published my shorts in a themed collection. It felt like a better unit for setting a good price point.

Haha, alright, those are far from my field of expertise and interest.

FWIW, I've self-published several short story erotica (in the 3k-word range) at 99 cents. They're basically re-releases, things that were published at a now-defunct website, and it seemed like a reasonable price. One is a collection of three stories, for a slightly longer total word count, but they're shorter than the ones released alone, and the collection is also at 99 cents. If I released a group of the other stories as a collection, I would increase the price, to something a bit less than the number of stories times 99 cents.

Thanks so much!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I have one erotic novella (about 35,000 words) that I priced at $2.99. I'm working on a second one now. I also write romance. I price short stories at $.99 cents. Shorts, to me, run anywhere from 1,000 to 15,000 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.