Writing about other countries

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Do imaginary countries count? Or historical ones? (I can't help but think that this would cover a massive portion of the speculative and historical fiction writers!)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I write about England, France, the USA and China, or elements of these countries come through in my work; else, I write about imaginary places.

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
I live in the US but I am writing about England in WW1 (if they had been steampunk and a bit odd).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Born in Toronto, Canada, and now live in Japan. Most of my stuff is fantasy on other worlds, although many of my characters come from Portland, Oregon or parts of the Pacific NorthWest. And yes, I have to do research on those areas just to get the place names right. (Foreign worlds need not apply, though:)).

badlandz

Registered
Reaction score
I've traveled a bit, and I am American. But I'd honestly say, there are countries I'd be more confident about writing about than some of the states here in the US. So, writing about other countries, some, easy. Some parts of my own country? I'd feel stupid trying to write about without doing extensive research.

SarahHobson

Author-in-training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've always wondered about this myself, as I like to be as accurate as possible when it comes to setting and surrounding (I figure the paranormal beings I have populating my work are unusual enough). I want to write about characters in other countries, but as I've never been anywhere overseas, I don't want native readers to the countries I am trying to depict to laugh at my work.

ianuschristius

Spiritual Anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Croatia; and due to the fact that I write non fiction, I don't have some special place. I like to call myself a world traveler.:)

I'm here, there, and everywhere.

song_of_calliope

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Scotland and write about Scotland, but I've made up an imaginary part of the country as I don't feel like I can write well about a place I know in reality. Maybe that's strange but I sometimes find too much reality gets in the way of fiction.

Taytortots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
storywrite.com
I'm Canadian, and I write Epic Fantasy. Soooo, I mostly make up cultures and different places. Does that count? :D

TeamJulia

How y'all doin'?
Registered
Reaction score
I am about to start a sequel that will take place partly in Istanbul. I am American.

I beg all of you. If you are writing a story based in a country you have not been to, please have a beta reader who has spent time in that country.

I hate reading a book about a place I've been, and the writer gets the place details wrong. It is so distracting!

Sunburn

Registered
Reaction score
Well you can't write about other countries until you have visited them. And when you have done that, you need to have a clear conscious and that is something most do not have.

Melhael

Indie writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
terrydock.net
I'm Belgian and part of my novel is set in Texas (well, an alternate version of Texas, but still). The town is fictional, though.

I think Google Earth/Maps are great assets when dealing with real-world location to which you cannot physically travel—so is the Internet in general, including this forum. You can really research locations in depth.

Well you can't write about other countries until you have visited them. And when you have done that, you need to have a clear conscious and that is something most do not have.

I doubt Tolkien went to Middle Earth. ;)