Ebooks and torrents

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
Recently an Australian film called The Tunnel was released on torrents, not by a third party but by the makers of the film. This was, in a way, a groundbreaking development. The producers made their money (and still do) through selling individual frames of the film, which they will then use to finance their next project. In a way, I think, this is similar to models previously attempted where the artist asks the public to pay what they deem is worthy of the material. The only difference is that The Tunnel's PR has been handled much more effectively.

Torrent devotees, I think, are responsible for much of the film's success. Big torrent sites got behind the film, and generated quite a bit of interest.

I'm wondering if writers could also use such an exercise to their advantage (free torrent download, and a donation as one sees fit). This would be for writers who have exhausted the traditional publishing options, and are now looking at self-publishing. What are your views on this?

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Cory Doctorow did this.

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

He's an author on BoingBoing, and apparently had a good deal of success with it! Still was on best seller lists and what not. Number 9 on the New York Best Sellers list.

Though of course, he had a huge audience, what with writing for BoingBoing.

Deleted member 42

One of the standard techniques used to combat illegal downloads is to overwrite the torrent with a sample and a link to buy the book, or a free legitimate, legal, malware free professional ebook with a donate link.

Good data pushes out bad.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
One of the standard techniques used to combat illegal downloads is to overwrite the torrent with a sample and a link to buy the book, or a free legitimate, legal, malware free professional ebook with a donate link.

Good data pushes out bad.

I'm afraid I don't understand this post. Could you explain what you meant please?

I wanted to start on debate on positive uses of distribution by torrents for writers thinking of self-publishing.

Searching

Registered
Reaction score
Cory Doctorow did this.

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

He's an author on BoingBoing, and apparently had a good deal of success with it! Still was on best seller lists and what not. Number 9 on the New York Best Sellers list.

Though of course, he had a huge audience, what with writing for BoingBoing.

A good example. The only thing, as you say, is that the author has a huge following which muddles the matters.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Yeah, Doctorow's pretty much the poster child for giving away stuff for fun and profit. Lots of profit, too. He didn't rely on torrents exclusively, though, but rather chose to play the whole bandwidth of free downloading.

Another author who made good giving away ebooks was Jim Munroe (http://www.nomediakings.org). He offered free downlaods next to paid-for books, and has since made two movies that are, among other things, distributed as torrents. Recently, he changed his download plan to "pay what you want", though.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
I'm wondering if writers could also use such an exercise to their advantage (free torrent download, and a donation as one sees fit). This would be for writers who have exhausted the traditional publishing options, and are now looking at self-publishing. What are your views on this?

You're talking about finding ways to monetize free. This is frontier times for digital book publishing and people are finding ways. (I generally discount people who have such huge paying following already giving away stuff too means much. Your movie example is better than, say, Doctorow, but is hard to apply to a book.)

People have found you can monetize free on Amazon through their marketing algorithms and are flooding that option with content. If you can figure out a way to get similar results via torrents you win by doing it first and proving it viable. If it were simple it would have been done. So it's not simple and I have no suggestions about what to try. (But that doesn't mean it's not possible.)