Car park: American term

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Little help needed, people. What's the American term for car park? I don't mean a structure you'd get beside a building (parking garage), but the space beside a building where people park. Think a mall or office building.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
parking lot

Each place for a car is called a (surprise!) parking space.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Cheers, Mr Cat. Question asked and question answered.

I'll buy you a pint of milk next time we're in the pub.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I can't get Big Yellow Taxi out of my head now.

-Derek

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen -in America- parking lots in the basement of a building like you see in malls and shopping centers in NZ and Europe, except in major cities btw.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Fenika - I've seen several malls with parking garages either under the building or in the parking lot. And I live in rural New Hampshire. Sort of. Not as rural as it used to be, unfortunately. But I'm guessing the reason you don't see as many garages under the buildings is because we have plenty of open space and it has to be cheaper to simply pave the land rather than build an underground garage. An interesting note - we have no sales tax in New Hampshire, and a few years ago an investment company decided to build a huge mall straddling the NH and Massachusetts border. The stores are all in New Hampshire and the parking lot is in Massachusetts. Hence, no sales tax. Now if only they had managed to put the food court in Mass, we could have their lower rooms and meals tax on our takeout.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
A parking area under a building (very common in US East Coast cities, and not just the biggest ones) is called a "parking garage" in US usage, not a "parking lot." A "parking lot" is an open-air space.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I have never seen -in America- parking lots in the basement of a building like you see in malls and shopping centers in NZ and Europe, except in major cities btw.

I don't know what you are calling a major city, but a parking garage is common in hospitals even in towns of less than 50,000 people

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Apologies for the lack of clarification in my OP. I was in a rush when I asked. My book's set in England but my publisher is American so I've changed a few terms. Car park is one. Anyway, all sorted now.

Thanks for the replies.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Did they make you change pot plant, rubber, and knock you up?