writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Creativity tied to sexual success

From correspondents in New York

December 08, 2005

ARTISTS have a more active love life than most of us with part of the reason being their tendency toward a certain schizophrenia-linked personality trait, a study suggests.

In a survey of 425 British adults, researchers found serious poets and visual artists generally had more sexual partners than those who were either not artistic or only dabbled in the arts.

Further analysis showed one personality dimension, a tendency toward unusual thoughts and perceptions, was related to both creativity and sexual success.

That tendency was also seen in people with schizophrenia.

The findings, according to the study authors, may help explain why schizophrenia - a mental disorder that often runs in families - has not been extinguished from the gene pool.

Certain schizophrenia-related personality traits, they speculate, may confer benefits when they are not part of a mental illness.

For example, when the traits instead spur creativity, they may offer a mating advantage, according to the researchers led by Daniel Nettle, a psychologist at the University of Newcastle.

He and colleague Helen Keenoo reported their findings in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society.

Artists, from 18th century poets to 21st century musicians, have a well-earned reputation for leading busy romantic lives.

But until now, there had never been a systematic comparison to document the phenomenon, Mr Nettle said.

Studies have shown creative types have higher than average rates of schizophrenia in their families, and the creative types themselves might have a heightened tendency toward schizophrenia-like traits.

Schizophrenia has a strong genetic component and people with the disorder suffer poorer overall health and a lower likelihood of having children.

However, these factors had not reduced the traits that predisposed people to schizophrenia.

Some researchers speculated the link between schizophrenic traits and creativity - a positive effect - could be one reason.

In the new study, participants disclosed the number of sexual partners they'd had as adults and answered questions gauging four schizophrenia-related personality dimensions.

One was the tendency toward unusual experiences, defined as atypical thoughts or perceptions, or magical thinking. This trait, the study found, was more common in serious artists and those who have had more sexual partners. The findings, according to Mr Nettle, suggested unusual thinking and perceptions when operating in a healthy person spurred creativity and, in turn, may make a person more attractive.

Original article

Hmmmm

Very interesting *raises eyebrow*

There must be a lot of busy people here at AW. And if some of us aren't successful in one way, it must be the other.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, writerterri.

I am validated.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is that saying we have better sex lives, or we're schitzophrenic ;) ?

I must be the latter... <sighs>

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I took it to mean both, hence I am doubly validated.

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
There must be a lot of busy people here at AW. And if some of us aren't successful in one way, it must be the other.

In my case, I know that since it's not one, it's definitely the other!
;)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I shoulda known

I only wish my creative life were as productive as my.....oh never mind..

Last edited:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:

Ahhhh...so THAT explains the rejection letters. ;) I feel so much better about myself now.

Interesting story Terri - did you search for that article?

Take care all - and good luck in EITHER of your pursuits... lol

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps those people with more schizophrenic traits just have looser morals and problems with impulse control?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Optimus said:
Perhaps those people with more schizophrenic traits just have looser morals and problems with impulse control?

And...do you resemble that remark? :)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Ahhhh...so THAT explains the rejection letters. ;) I feel so much better about myself now.

Interesting story Terri - did you search for that article?

Take care all - and good luck in EITHER of your pursuits... lol

No way! These types of articles flood my e-mails as thank you notes! *Great big teethy-cheesy grin*

My new nick name is, Tezza!

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
gooooooooood!

ARTISTS have a more active love life than most of us with part of the reason being their tendency toward a certain schizophrenia-linked personality trait, a study suggests.

True ... but then again they only write (poets now) when they don't get 'it'! The less the get 'it' the better their work becomes! Just look at mine for example! Jesus, my work is gooooooooood! Lately...

http://users.skynet.be/spier/argoboatindex.htm

Look at it!

aspier

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
Further analysis showed one personality dimension, a tendency toward unusual thoughts and perceptions, was related to both creativity and sexual success.
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm." No schizophrenics in my gene pool that I know of. But honestly there are some mental, emotional disorders. I wonder if simply being raised with crazy people (when I say my family is insane, I'm soooo not joking) can nurture the tendency toward 'unusual thoughts and perceptions.' I know with Hubby, we have amazing...well, anyway, you get the picture.
Studies have shown creative types have higher than average rates of schizophrenia in their families, and the creative types themselves might have a heightened tendency toward schizophrenia-like traits.
See, we're not all schizophrenic, we just have schizophrenia-like traits. We don't actually have a mental disorder. We just act like we do. :D

The findings, according to Mr Nettle, suggested unusual thinking and perceptions when operating in a healthy person spurred creativity and, in turn, may make a person more attractive.
Phew...you healthy people with these tendencies can all rest easy, as for the rest of us...we're screwed.

Thanks for this article Terri. I had a blast reading it, and please everyone, don't take any of my comments too seriously.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm confused. Creativity and Sexual success = multiple sexual partners? That's just weird.

Reaction score
Okay, I might be a bit weird in the head but loads of men are supposed to want to sleep with me?

"You want me...I am a writer..."

Nope? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to control myself until I meet someone special, which was my plan anyway! :)

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
(Oh, god, I apologise for this one already.)

"I'm a writer, and you'd better believe the penis mightier than the sword."

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Richard said:
the penis mightier than the sword."

36_11_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.