The Nth Query Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Hi everyone,

So I'm getting ready to throw my novel back in the ring with agents. Here's my situation, which I'm hoping for a little advice on.

I've been querying my novel on and off for two years. Since then, my query and novel have both gotten 100 times better. I've had some partial/full requests from some top NYC agents, and some have said really positive things about my writing, the voice, characters, etc. but no takers yet.

Last summer, I got fantastic feedback from an agent who rejected me with an offer to reread if I'd revise. She gave me a long list of detailed comments and we had a call about it. Her comments were super insightful and pointed out some serious deficits in the manuscript. It really needed a structural overhaul.

This agent emailed me around Halloween to see how my revision was coming along and reiterated that she's excited to read it. Which is really great and all. But here's my reservation: this agent is very new. She's definitely legit, but has only been an associate agent for a two-person, no-name agency for one year. She has an education in publishing and has interned at houses/literary agencies. I've been following her blog and Twitter feed since our call, and my impression is that she's savvy, smart, hungry and sincere. I have a hard time imagining she won't move eventually to another lit agency where she might gain more experience, but I can't count on that. She seems like a fast learner ... Her firm has placed books with good houses but mostly nonfic. She's still making initial contacts and getting to know editors in my genre (lit. fiction).

So...my manuscript is almost ready to send to her. As a hedge, I thought I should also requery the NYC agents who rejected but praised the ms before, plus some dream agents I didn't shoot for in earlier rounds.

I'm certain this young agent will read my revision quickly, and if she likes it enough to offer representation, I really want to have all my balls in play first to give myself the most options. My query wish list contains 30 agents, including the requeries.

Is 30 a totally insane number of queries to be sending at once? I averaged a 15% request rate with my query on its last few rounds out, but I think the manuscript and query are both much better, plus four of those agents are requeries.

I'd love to hear what you guys think and any advice on how to best handle this.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, go for it. It sounds like this is sort of the last hurrah for that manuscript. Might as well go out with a bang.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Tricky situation. One person, the hungry young agent, has already invested time and effort in your MS and has apparently helped you improve it. You should beware of undervaluing her and her enthusiasm.

My strategic sense suggests you send out all your other queries and requeries about a month before you resub the MS to the hungry young agent. That way you can gauge whether your book has improved enough to spark similar enthusiasm in more experienced agents. If you resub the MS to Hungry Young at the same time you send out the queries, she's likely to respond much sooner than the others, possibly with an offer. The longer you put her off after an offer of representation, waiting for bigger fish, the more ungracious you'll seem.

Hungry New may not ultimately win your book, but she already deserves your gratitude. Whatever happens, be sure you give it.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Phaeal, thanks. You summed up all my inner conflict about this. You're right. Hungry New gave awesome feedback, was generous with her time, and I do appreciate it greatly and told her so at the time. I was referred to her by a fellow writer who's one of her clients, and she loved my writing the first time around, so I know she'll put a high priority on reading. If I do submit to her and she does indeed offer rep., I'd like to know I tried the dream agents first so I can choose her gladly and quickly if it comes to that.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing your hesitation with Hungry New (love the nickname) is that maybe she doesn't have the contacts to sell your book?

Because there's a lot to be said for going with her, if she does have the contacts you need.

1) You already know she "gets" your book and can work with you to make it better. That relationship is so valuable.

2) You know she is eager and willing to work hard on your behalf. She's committed.

Say you get accepted by Dream Agent at Big Name Agency. Will that person be able to devote the same kind of time and energy to your career? Or will you be one of many? We hear sad stories of people who sigh with prestige agents and then can't get their emails returned because Dream Agent is too busy.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
MsJudy, those are excellent points. And yeah, those things weigh a lot. That's why I'm so uncertain of writing her off completely. She may do an awesome job for me, and she's definitely really motivated.

She only reps one or two other lit. fiction writers and hasn't sold their manuscripts yet. I'm pretty certain she doesn't know a lot of editors in my genre yet, and I imagine my manuscript will be, in some cases, an opportunity to make the first contact. She doesn't have a mentor who's in with editors either, so it's all her legwork. She's sold other things, though, primarily nonfiction, foreign rights and at least one general fiction title to a very good house.

Status
Not open for further replies.