Querying with published clips

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quick Question:

If you are querying by email and the mag asks for published clips, is it acceptable to just provide links to the published pieces if they are still to be found online at difference magazines' websites? Or do you have to actually photocopy/scan tear sheets?

Thanks

Filmfeline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Quick Question:

If you are querying by email and the mag asks for published clips, is it acceptable to just provide links to the published pieces if they are still to be found online at difference magazines' websites? Or do you have to actually photocopy/scan tear sheets?

Thanks

I wonder why no one replied to you ;(
If I were you I would send it all by snail mail once they make a request, unless they mind and specifically ask for emailed versions. I would probably cut and paste all clips onto either a PDF doc or Word and included the links to where the stories are online right under the title, or name of the publication. Ex. if you've published in Self you click on the 'link' symbol and make the word SELF an actual link, but instead of linking it to the main page of the magazine you link it directly to the article you have on the magazine's page. That's my two cents. I query by email, but I send everything snail mail and always include an envelope. You have to keep in mind that the people you're corresponding with do this everyday with a million other people aside from you and the goal is to make things as comfortable and as easier as you can for them. I've always had a good relationship with editors, I could even call them friends after all these years and I think that's what you want. You want to be someone who is reliable, dependable, on time and of course, someone who never submits an unfinished well thought out piece. My spelling sux online, but I watch what I do when it comes to work, be it the way I do it or what I submit. I hope this helps you :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I've never sent anything in by snail mail, partly because I can only get to the post office a few times a year. If I have PDFs of published pieces, I include those, otherwise I just attach the Word document of my story with a link to the magazines' webpages.
Never had a problem doing it this way (I write for magazines in the $ 0.20 to $ 0.70 per word range).

Filmfeline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Nice. My average is like 300/article, but I don't live off of this. It's a hobby I love.