Interrupted Writing

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think that I'd be good at getting interrupted, and usually I am. Usually I can blow it off and get right back on the horse. Well, last night I was pounding out words, getting really stoked about the scene--the villainess had made her entrance, and in spectacular style, too. The heroine and the... um... well, I guess he might be the anti-hero or another villain, hard to tell at this point... confronted the villainess and she opened her lovely mouth...

to tell me about a joke she'd read on the internet. Okay, that part was hubby. I muttered "I don't get it" and went back to the villainess and... nothing. It was gone. She's frozen in time. Hopefully I'll get back the mojo today, might have just been tired last night.

But it got me to wondering how you guys deal with interruptions. Can you blow it off, or does it knock you off course? Do you need quiet and peace to write, or can you write with a houseful of noise? How do you get back once you've been interrupted?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It knocks me off course. And, it happens a lot with three dogs and a retired husband. Actually, it's been fairly easy to teach the dogs what a closed door means—they only scratch at the door when at least three legs are crossed. Mr. Meermans is still "in training".

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It throws me off as well. I need to remember to switch off Skype when I write and I really should turn off emails as well, though I never like to do that in case something important comes in, but even a niggly little email can throw my swing.

To get over it, I usually have to either leave the scene til the next day or go back and re-read my notes / outline or what I've written so far, which can sometimes get my flow back.

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
Interruptions don't bother me at all. I watch two babies all day while I work from home. I am used to the noise and chaos that my children create! I have to be, or else nothing would ever get done.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I hate interruptions, but I'm getting better at dealing with them. The worst is when I'm on a roll and the momentum is just gone.

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
I desperately need quiet.

If it's my SO interrupting, I very consciously keep my attention funneled on what I'm writing, and mutter something like: 'I just have to finish this', then he goes away and I continue writing. I used to try not being so rude, but now I just apologize afterward, and he's starting to know when I'm in the zone anyway.

EternallyStressed

Registered
Reaction score

Absolutely, has to be quiet. The smallest noise and it all comes crashing down and the moment has gone.

Unfortunately we have a house full of kids and so I normally have to wait for them to be at school and my wife to go to work before I get anything meaningful done.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the interruption is significant enough to leave my scene suspended and lost for direction, I know I need to re-evaluate the roll I was on... Did what I envisioned have to happen in a particular way to support some future plot development? At this point would it sufficiently engage the reader? Is this what the story demands? And most importantly, do I like it?

Invariably, while I wrestle with these questions, the original intent surfaces from the murk of memory. Reassessed in a more critical light, it may yet find its way to the page - albeit suitably modified to meet the demands of fresh inspiration.

Interruptions will happen. They can be what you make of them; flares of frustration, or opportunities for reflection and inspiration.

I always aim for the latter. I think it supports a good mental state, and fosters a peaceful household. Unless you live alone, you know what I mean.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't need absolute quiet, but I really hate interruptions. Really hate them.

Whatever it was will come back (or something else will fill the void and it will be just as good) but - grr! (And the worst interruptions are of the - "Oh - am I interrupting you? It'll just take a moment..." variety. I used to get quite a few of those. Not so many lately ... :evil

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

If it's my SO interrupting, I very consciously keep my attention funneled on what I'm writing, and mutter something like: 'I just have to finish this', then he goes away and I continue writing. I used to try not being so rude, but now I just apologize afterward, and he's starting to know when I'm in the zone anyway.

:eek: He's trainable?! That's... wonderful! ::jealous::

Absolutely, has to be quiet. The smallest noise and it all comes crashing down and the moment has gone.

Unfortunately we have a house full of kids and so I normally have to wait for them to be at school and my wife to go to work before I get anything meaningful done.

:welcome: Eternally! Good to have you!

I really did get used to writing with kids around, and all the other stuff. I guess it's just some days are harder than others.

Interruptions will happen. They can be what you make of them; flares of frustration, or opportunities for reflection and inspiration.

Oh, yes, this. ::nods sagely:: I do love a good flare of frustration. :tongue

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find interruptions vaguely irritating but I tend to work from an outline that tells me 'what' has to happen in the scene, so I can get back to it. What is a bit frustrating is losing the impetus of 'how' something is happening in the scene.

There have been times when I'm in the 'zone' and the phone rings. It gives me a huge fright and I have to calm myself before I pick up or else I'll take the caller's head off.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
After a few (somewhat less violent and hostile) discussions like this, my husband has learned to leave me alone when I'm writing. Few things infuriate me like having to waste time getting back into a groove that I was pulled out of against my will.

I'm not *terribly* easy to distract. I can handle noise of certain varieties, I have cats coming and going, e-mail comes in at random times, etc. But if someone actually TALKS to me? Concentration...GONE.

And let us not speak about the squirrels outside my window, for they are cute, they are fluffy, and sometimes they--SQUIRREL!

What were we talking about?

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You mean like right now? With hubby entering the room for one thing or another and my daughter coming in with the baby? (Meaning my quiet time in the bedroom to write while doing laundry is over.)

They seek me out if I'm out of view for too long. :D My best plan is to physically leave the house if I'm doing non-fic and I really need to concentrate on silly things like facts, or in fiction if I'm coming up to a scene that is going to have a lot of tension and I won't want to get interrupted and be forced to sternly tell my family, "Don't mess with my chi!"

Other than that, yeah, I must work with distractions.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There have been times when I'm in the 'zone' and the phone rings. It gives me a huge fright and I have to calm myself before I pick up or else I'll take the caller's head off.

Happened to me a few times, too - in the end I took the phone out of my study because I used to answer it with one hand just reflexively just to stop the ringing and then put it down again.

Thank god for answerphones. :)

And doors. Thank god for doors. There are three doors that shut my study off from any living areas - I shut all of them, and people usually remember now not to go through the last one unless there's blood or smoke.

speirbhean

wishing I was reading
Registered
Reaction score
What's uninterrupted writing? With a husband, a toddler and a full time job I'm currently writing at the side of the road waiting for the Creche to close and answering work emails. But when I win lotto / publish best seller... Oh twill be a book lined sound proofed study for me (although I need to break my twitter addiction)

HunterEmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hunteremkay.com
Distractional writing

I'm like a lot in the replies- I'm currently finding it more difficult to find my two or so hours because I have a daughter home for the summer school holidays over here. Lots of long-term crafting activities are being sent her way. But she still hasn't been 'trained' enough in entertaining herself.

But normally I'm used to lots of noise and distractions around the house - I have a large dog who snores violently, and am still getting used to the lovely terradactyl-like sounds of the huge cockatoos that live around here. Oh, and the kookaburras which use the creek outside the study. And the frogs and jungle crickets at night. Australia provides a good lesson in working through distractions.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't need total silence to write, and quite often have music on, but I can't really work well with the TV on. But it really is more the emotional stuff that interrupts me, stuff that throws my mood off. That's what gets in the way for me. I hate conflict, especially when it's over nothing and there seems to be nothing you can do to convince the other person you meant no harm. So anything like that, whether it's emails or forums or whatever, just makes me feel so awful it throws my game a bit. Same if there's some hassle from home or something to do with work. Any other interruptions I can deal with.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Ever owned a Pyrenees? The world's most perfect guard dog.

Usually, I'm thankful for his need to defend me against all enemies, foreign and domestic. But while I'm unemployed, and home all day with him, he is the most gigantic pain in the ASS.

This dog barks at anything. Most importantly, the mailman. Also, FedEx trucks, UPS trucks, Canada Post trucks, Chinese food delivery guys, student driver cars, city tree trimmers, magpies in the yard....

GAH.

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
I actually do better with some background noise. It's easier to ignore random noises that way, and, having grown up the oldest in a large family, I don't know what to do with silence. BUT my daughter just turned one and suddenly figured out how to climb EVERYTHING. Today she climbed the coffee table I put in front of the book shelves and emptied all the shelves she could reach. There's just no point in trying to write while she is awake. Naps are the only way to avoid interruptions...without risking her safety or my sanity!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I actually do better with some background noise. It's easier to ignore random noises that way, and, having grown up the oldest in a large family, I don't know what to do with silence. BUT my daughter just turned one and suddenly figured out how to climb EVERYTHING. Today she climbed the coffee table I put in front of the book shelves and emptied all the shelves she could reach. There's just no point in trying to write while she is awake. Naps are the only way to avoid interruptions...without risking her safety or my sanity!

:Hug2: I remember these days! Enjoy her, learn to embrace Dora, and make every minute of nap time. :)

I kinda miss that age... ::sniffle::

V-Man

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesvachowski.com
face.jpg

I can manage to sneak away from people for 30 minutes at a time, but the biggest challenge is getting away from the Internet. That thing is everywhere I go....it almost seems like the Web has gone Worldwide...

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
It's so hard. Been there/am still there. Three children, a grandchild, husband - one of my children is retarded/autistic and when he needs attention you can't ask him to wait.

You've got to be disciplined and once the interruption is over, GET RIGHT BACK.

And older folks and children can be trained - would you interrupt them when they're watching an important football play (European or American) or at their golf game or while watching their absolute favorite can't-miss TV show?

But like I said, I know it's hard. I understand.