PDA

View Full Version : The Fangster Summer of Doom--now with more pancake! (Volume II)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Soccer Mom
09-03-2008, 11:20 PM
You are cordially invited to a civilized fete of decorum and dignity.

Nay, this is more than a refugee camp for Fangsters and Ne'er Do Wells. It is a foray into the open waters of AW's most shallow pond.

A special welcome to the sodden evacuees of Meeting House.

Please, perch delicately on the chair and nibble a crumpet.

Let me assure you that you will feel quite at home here.

It is like our former abode, but with more kitteh and less angst.

Silver King
01-06-2012, 05:26 AM
The newest version of this thread starts now.

Have fun. :)

(The original discussion can be found here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114742).)

mscelina
01-06-2012, 05:49 AM
*sigh*

Our third sizable thread. Must be housecleaning time. Fortunately, the move was so unexpected that stinky DJ is trapped forever in the other thread.

Life is good.

Silver King
01-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Our third sizable thread. Must be housecleaning time...
Yeah, I've been busy. Next up is the Royalty for a Week thread, then I'll be through causing havoc for a while. :)

Haggis
01-06-2012, 06:55 AM
*sigh*

Our third sizable thread. Must be housecleaning time. Fortunately, the move was so unexpected that stinky DJ is trapped forever in the other thread.

Life is good.
I could move him over here for you if I knew where he was.

BenPanced
01-06-2012, 07:03 AM
http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/000hgkz3

Guys! Look who I found at the curb!

Haggis
01-06-2012, 07:12 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411Y5-6LAFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Guy needs some freshening up.

mscelina
01-06-2012, 10:10 AM
You two are sick bastards. First the fish, then the ankle-biter, now the DJ. Great. Just damn great.

It's no wonder why no one wants to let us rent from them.

BenPanced
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
But we pay in cash so who are they to argue?

BeatrixKiddo
01-07-2012, 02:00 AM
New Fang thread!

Answering your post from the old thread miss M.

I had no idea the titanium disk was so expensive. You'd think a disk that much would be designed not to "break" from anything it's attached to.

Sorry to hear that. I had no idea your daily movements were that severely restricted.

I really, really hope you can get the surgery to help correct it somehow.

*sending out a wish to The Back Fairy Godmother for Miss M*

Jersey Chick
01-08-2012, 01:38 AM
**headsmack** only dawned on me today that the room moved again. **needs to update thread subscription**

BenPanced
01-08-2012, 04:33 AM
What? I got the note right here that Cel asked...me...to...give to...

*koff*

mscelina
01-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Hey don't blame this one on me. I got the original thread locked. The fish did this one all on his own.

BeatrixKiddo
01-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Heh. Ya gotta watch out for SK. He is sneaky.

I am getting worried about the DJ though.

mscelina
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah me too. Worried that he's here.

BenPanced
01-10-2012, 06:40 AM
try to liven up the place a little and give it a little color and this is the thanks i get? srsly? man. see if i ever put any effort into anything around here ever again I'LL JUST BE OVER HERE IN THE CORNER SULKING BY MYSELF THANK YOU VERY MUCH man. i got the pm's and the off-site emails that prove how much everybody likes me. don't even know what i was thinking when i first brought him home. sorry for trying to have a little fun around here. bunch of stoopid poopy stinky pants. NO. I'M OKAY. REALLY. not that they'd ever really care.

Haggis
01-10-2012, 06:43 AM
You know, Ben, the dead DJ makes an excellent drink holder. You just kinda set your beer on his forehead then pick it up when you want another drink. I mean, it's not like he's gonna move or anything.

Jersey Chick
01-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Just have to make sure the newest layer of poly is dry, or else the can/glass/bottle/what have you sticks something terrible.

Not that it's happened to me before, but... that's what I've heard. Yeah, that's right. What I've heard. Yep.

BenPanced
01-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Hey, maybe if I attach a glass to his forehead, I'll HAVE to keep him because that'd be the only way I'd be able to use the glass...

mscelina
01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Better get one of those long, loopy straws then.

BenPanced
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
YAY! INTARWEBZ APPROVAL AT LAST!

BeatrixKiddo
01-11-2012, 01:43 AM
:ROFL:

I think this thread is getting loopy.

mscelina
01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, the Realms of Fantasy announcement went out in the middle of the night. Now I'm playing catch-up with our promotions.

BenPanced
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
The blinking cursor on the blank page. It mocks me. And I cannot retort in the manner I would most prefer for I am in public and people would look at me funnier than they already do.

Jersey Chick
01-15-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm playing Angry Birds right now.

mscelina
01-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Well, Homer Eon Flint's book came out this morning. And the welcome packages for RoF subscribers goes out this afternoon.

And we sold enough ads in 24 hours to pay for the next FOUR Penumbra issues, including adding additional word count to the magazine. It's been a hell of a few days for us!

Haggis
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, Homer Eon Flint's book came out this morning. And the welcome packages for RoF subscribers goes out this afternoon.

And we sold enough ads in 24 hours to pay for the next FOUR Penumbra issues, including adding additional word count to the magazine. It's been a hell of a few days for us!
'grats, Celina.

Did I tell you (no, I know I didn't) that I've read the first issue of Penumbra? Good stuff. Very good. I only didn't like one story and I always don't like at least one story. :D

mscelina
01-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Which story did you NOT like? I'm always interested to hear things like that; I think it helps me editorially to discover why some readers don't respond to a story as well as others.

I have to admit, though--the upcoming Shakespeare issue is my favorite so far. With the two new featured columns and the nonfiction material on top of five really outstanding stories (picked from an initial pool of well over 300) I am VERY proud of it.

And the upcoming fractured fairy tales issue? I've done the first two rounds of cuts and STILL have 75 stories in contention. *sigh* I hate writing rejection letters.

BenPanced
01-17-2012, 08:24 AM
ZOMFG why can't it be AAAAAAAAAAAAAPRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO??????

kplzthnxbai

mscelina
01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Um...because it's January. Duh. Get a grip.

BeatrixKiddo
01-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Congrats miss M.

Haggis, thank you for the link in your sig.

That's right. I'm an American peoplez.

Haggis
01-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Congrats miss M.

Haggis, thank you for the link in your sig.

That's right. I'm an American peoplez.
You mean my Stop SOPA links?

Stop SOPA. Stop PIPA. (http://sopastrike.com/strike/)
If these become law, communities like AW will cease to exist.
My pleasure. :)

mscelina
01-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Happy release day, Benny and Bubastes!

BeatrixKiddo
01-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Go Benny and Bub! Woot!

Bubastes
01-20-2012, 06:12 PM
:banana: :snoopy: :banana: :snoopy: :banana:

Thanks, guys!

Haggis
01-20-2012, 06:13 PM
'Grats, guys.

And to Luke Sean too. :snoopy:

mscelina
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep. About to go see where his congrats thread is.

Jersey Chick
01-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Congratulations on the releases! :banana: :snoopy:

seun
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
'Grats, guys.

And to Luke Seun too. :snoopy:

Fixed. :tongue

mscelina
01-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Well, kids--my hopefully last ever back surgery is set for February 13. This is going to be a long, vicious recuperation period and a much more complicated surgery than we originally expected. But--pain with progress is a hell of a lot better than pain with none.

Oh yeah--and happy Valentine's Day to me, I guess.

BeatrixKiddo
01-26-2012, 01:35 AM
*hugs Doom Bunny very gently and hopes the surgery goes well*

Let the countdown begin...

seun
01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Hope there's some good news at the end of all this, boss.

BenPanced
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Just looked at the RTCon schedule, and I'm doing mostly craft and hands-on workshops this time around.

BenPanced
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Sugar-free Peeps aren't bad. But you know what they say: "It ain't the taste. It's the texture." The things I do to keep my liver and pancreas happy.

BeatrixKiddo
02-07-2012, 03:31 AM
I hate sugar free candy. It always makes me gassy. They put that sugar alcohol in all the sugar free stuff. It tends to taste weird too.

Bring on the sugar, I say! Kidneys and pancreas be damned.

mscelina
02-07-2012, 04:01 AM
*eats another vanilla creme cookie*

Huh? What's all this about sugar? Damn stuff should be regulated and banned. Like alcohol. That worked well.

*I'm giving up politics for Lent. between the Politics board on AW and the campaign commercials on television, I am waving a white flag of surrender until 2013*

BenPanced
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to undo the bad habits I've fallen back onto over the last year or so. It hasn't been easy, especially when I see the ways my system is starting to protest.

mscelina
02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't HAVE bad habits.

*lights up a cigarette*

Did I mention I had to quit smoking for my surgery? No wonder I'm so foul tempered.

*has another cookie*

Soccer Mom
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm not really here, but I'm here just to say "hi." Life is still chaotic trying to take care of my dad and stuff.

So...

hi.

kthxbai

Bubastes
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
:tackle hugs Soccer Mom:

eqb
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
::moar hugs for SM::

BenPanced
02-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Soccer Mom's here? WHERE?!

BeatrixKiddo
02-09-2012, 03:51 AM
I'm trying to undo the bad habits I've fallen back onto over the last year or so. It hasn't been easy, especially when I see the ways my system is starting to protest.

I try too...but then I realize how much fun they were and how much I miss them and give in. Pffft...will power. Meh.

I'm not really here, but I'm here just to say "hi." Life is still chaotic trying to take care of my dad and stuff.

:(

:e2arms:

Hang in there SM.
We'z here for ya.

Jersey Chick
02-09-2012, 05:31 AM
**hugs SM**

DeskBoundTeaDrinker
02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Runs in, hands Doom Bunny some nicotine gum, stops and ponders flatulent sugar free Peeps, runs back out.

mscelina
02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Well. At last, Aetna has FINALLY approved my surgery. It took a heroic effort on the part of my surgeon and his staff at OSU, but apparently the insurance asshats were cowed enough to cave--seeing as on Thursday, they were talking denial again.

So, you guys won't see me for a while. :( I am taking my tablet to the hospital with me, so I'll probably pop in from time to time to whine or to ramble on while drugged. I'll be at the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University for probably a week, and then back home for a long time of body brace, not moving, not sitting up, not even doing PT for about four months. And taking two months off from Musa will make me VERY bored.

So, I'll miss you guys. *sniff*

Bubastes
02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
:gently hugs Celina:

We'll miss you too. Recover quickly!

Jersey Chick
02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
**another careful hug**

**good healing vibes**

Here's to a quick recuperation!

mscelina
02-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks, guys. :) I'm sure I'll be just fine. Grumpy and ouchy, but fine.

Haggis
02-12-2012, 01:22 AM
SRSLY, break a leg, Celina. See you when you get back. In two months. Whilst following doctors' orders all the time. :D

BenPanced
02-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Good luck!

BeatrixKiddo
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Good luck Miss M!

eqb
02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Good luck and good healing!

BenPanced
02-14-2012, 07:26 AM
For those of you that haven't heard, Celina's come out of surgery and is now in recovery probably asking for her red pen and laptop. The surgery was a success and she'll be in recovery for another hour and a half or so.

Haggis
02-14-2012, 07:43 AM
For those of you that haven't heard, Celina's come out of surgery and is now in recovery probably asking for her red pen and laptop. The surgery was a success and she'll be in recovery for another hour and a half or so.
Good news, Ben. Thanks for sharing.

eqb
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh that's good to hear.

tjwriter
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Awesome! We're all thinking of her for sure.

Damn surgery took long enough to get approved and all that.

AJ Valliant
02-14-2012, 07:31 PM
You are cordially invited to a civilized fete of decorum and dignity.

Nay, this is more than a refugee camp for Fangsters and Ne'er Do Wells. It is a foray into the open waters of AW's most shallow pond.

A special welcome to the sodden evacuees of Meeting House.

Please, perch delicately on the chair and nibble a crumpet.

Let me assure you that you will feel quite at home here.

It is like our former abode, but with more kitteh and less angst.

I can't eat crumpets, it sounds too much like an oldetimey pejorative. I feel like I'm swearing, lamely.

BeatrixKiddo
02-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the update BP.

BeatrixKiddo
02-17-2012, 02:02 AM
I know Miss M is recovering, but how is the rest of the fang-gang? I'm up to chapter seven on my WIP. That's more then I've written, ever.

BenPanced
02-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm barely keeping up with the promo work I need to do for BINSIDLY because of this overtime at work. I've been doing 5 to 15 hours a week since, oh, NOVEMBER. It's finally showing signs of abating but we'll know for sure tomorrow (which is what I was told yesterday and the day before that and the day before that, etc.)

eqb
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm three chapters from the end of ALLEGIANCE, the third book for my Tor series. This one has been like pulling teeth, but I'm pleased with the results. I should be able to send this off to my editor in March.

Oh and we started the process for buying a house.

Jersey Chick
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Taking some time off to re-assess things. I hit a bit of a crossroads earlier this week and it's given me a LOT to think about.

Bubastes
02-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Finishing the first draft of a contracted long short story, editing novella #3, promo stuff, planning the next writing project, already freaking out over going to the Romantic Times con in April. Also job stuff and, like Jerz, reassessing things.

mscelina
02-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Just got home from the hospital and am lying on the couch. I am doing very well and I am going to be completely off from Musa until I can pick up my laptop. So I plan to do some world building and maybe read for fun. Just to be different. Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I really appreciate them and all of you. :)

BeatrixKiddo
02-18-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm barely keeping up with the promo work I need to do for BINSIDLY because of this overtime at work. I've been doing 5 to 15 hours a week since, oh, NOVEMBER. It's finally showing signs of abating but we'll know for sure tomorrow (which is what I was told yesterday and the day before that and the day before that, etc.)

But doesn't that mean more money for even more promo work? Win/win, yes? :D

I'm three chapters from the end of ALLEGIANCE, the third book for my Tor series. This one has been like pulling teeth, but I'm pleased with the results. I should be able to send this off to my editor in March.
Oh and we started the process for buying a house.

That's awesome. Congrats on the house eqb! House warming partay!

Taking some time off to re-assess things. I hit a bit of a crossroads earlier this week and it's given me a LOT to think about.

I hope that's a good fork in the road (pardon the pun) JC.

Finishing the first draft of a contracted long short story, editing novella #3, promo stuff, planning the next writing project, already freaking out over going to the Romantic Times con in April. Also job stuff and, like Jerz, reassessing things.

You are the busiest cat DJ I know. (most are lazy, ya know?) Good luck on everything. You make me tired just reading your post.

Just got home from the hospital and am lying on the couch. I am doing very well and I am going to be completely off from Musa until I can pick up my laptop. So I plan to do some world building and maybe read for fun. Just to be different. Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I really appreciate them and all of you. :)

Yay! :snoopy:

However, barely home and already on the computer? Shouldn't you be taking a long break from this modern technology? I hope your recovery goes well Miss M but remember to REST, and follow up on whatever physical therapy the doc wants you to do. I hope this latest surgery finally gives you some long term relief.

Bubastes
02-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I sound busier than I am, trust me. I fritter away far too much time on the interwebz.

Rest up, Celina!

mscelina
02-18-2012, 04:36 AM
I can't get on my computer. Too heavy. I am on my tablet which is the technology for fun.

BenPanced
02-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Thought about you a lot this week. It's good to know you're doing better.

eqb
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
That's awesome. Congrats on the house eqb! House warming partay!

Thanks! Here's the view from the patio:

http://www.numisology.com/house/house-04.jpg

tjwriter
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
So. Jealous.

eqb
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
So. Jealous.

You might be less jealous if I posted pictures of the bathrooms and kitchen. :)

(We're talking some major renovations.)

Bubastes
02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
That is one heck of a view. Gorgeous!

Hey fangsters who can't make it to RTCon, do you have promo stuff you'd like me to hand out so I can pimp your books?

Jersey Chick
02-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Any time my stress level reaches the red zone, I'm pulling up that post of your view, eqb. **ohhhhmmmmmm***

quickWit
02-22-2012, 06:47 PM
they've got a pool and a pond in the back, jersey.
pond'd be good for you.

Jersey Chick
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
:ROFL:

I got nothin'.

tjwriter
02-22-2012, 06:55 PM
It looks so perfect for writing and relaxing with a good cup of coffee/tea. A fire pit when the weather is cool.

I'd buy just for that view, despite the renovations. It wouldn't be the first time we would have to renovate.

eqb
02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd buy just for that view, despite the renovations. It wouldn't be the first time we would have to renovate.

Pretty much why we went ahead and offered on the house. The kitchen is a wreck, the bathrooms are 1960s ugly, but the view is amazing. Oh, and imagine you can hear a waterfall from not too far away.

BeatrixKiddo
02-23-2012, 01:59 AM
I agree. Great pics. Looks lovely. So happy for you guys.

Esopha
02-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Finals are in 2 weeks, and then I'm going to France.

*side eyes life*

Eqb, that view is gorgeous! And that pool is lovely. I'm sure it's worth the kitchen and bathroom. :D

mscelina
02-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Lil Squick! where have you been?

BeatrixKiddo
02-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Are we still supposed to be entertaining you? ;)

How are you feeling hon?

I demand an update!

mscelina
02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Um...I feel like crap.

Yeah. That about sums it up. I've left the severe pain part of recovery and have entered the "Oh, I'd feel better if I could just stand/sit/lie down on my back/side/side and write/edit/clean house without pain/pain/pain." portion of it.

*sigh*

I'd rather have the pain. It's a hell of a lot easier to medicate incision pain than it is to medicate sheer unadulterated boredom. But enough about me--how are you?

Esopha
02-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Lil Squick! where have you been?

At school. But now we're entering finals week(s) and I'm procrastinating. So I decided to stop by here because it's probably more entertaining than my usual methods of procrastination. :D

I'm sorry you keep having so many back problems. Back injuries are the absolute worst. You can't move or do anything. (Have you tried acupuncture? It helped my dad a lot. Some therapeutic acupuncture after you recover from surgery might prevent future injury?)

mscelina
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
LMAO--!

Gods love you, child, but if anyone tried to do acupuncture on my spine, all that will be accomplished is a mess of bent needles. Unfortunately, the best case scenario for this surgery is a 40% reduction in pain, maybe 50. This surgery, however, did (hopefully) create a successful fusion to stabilize that broken disc which will prevent the damned thing from causing any more damage.

While in Paris, be sure to start your mornings off at a neighborhood patisserie. Croissants with butter--real butter--dipped into a cup of steaming French coffee is absolute bliss, and only to be bested by dipping said buttered croissant into got chocolate made the REAL way.

Words.Worth
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Here's the view from the patio:

http://www.numisology.com/house/house-04.jpg

Love it! What's that in the river?

eqb
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Love it! What's that in the river?

I suspect the Loch Ness Monster's younger, smaller cousin. :)

BeatrixKiddo
03-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Um...I feel like crap.

Yeah. That about sums it up. I've left the severe pain part of recovery and have entered the "Oh, I'd feel better if I could just stand/sit/lie down on my back/side/side and write/edit/clean house without pain/pain/pain." portion of it.

*sigh*

I'd rather have the pain. It's a hell of a lot easier to medicate incision pain than it is to medicate sheer unadulterated boredom. But enough about me--how are you?

:( I know it sucks, but I'd rather you be bored then in severe pain. Continue to be bored and rest. Rest, rest, rest.

Don't you DARE try to clean any portion of the house. Do we need to send someone over to watch you 24/7? Stop it. (Even if you haven't actually attempted that, I know you're thinking about it. Stop that too.)

mscelina
03-01-2012, 03:26 AM
*looks up from dusting*

I'm sorry--what did you say?

Unfortunately, tonight I kind of have to. My daughters are on the way up with the babies--and Addyson is a LITTLE baby--two months old. I have to de-cat hair the living room before they get here.

BeatrixKiddo
03-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Your daughters can "de-cat" hair the living room when they get there. Or at least one of them can while the other watches the babies.

Stop it. You are going to regret it later. You know you always do too much. You need to rest Miss M.

We need another AW member to go over to your house and dust for you. *sends a shout out*

mscelina
03-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Have I mentioned that I totally love your avatar? That is really WAY cool.

BeatrixKiddo
03-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Yes, yes, we both have fantastic avies.

GO SIT DOWN AND STOP DUSTING. ;) (trying to change the subject, sneaky Doom Bunny)

I found it while randomly searching for something else online.
Just thought it was kewl.

Esopha
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
You can get acupuncture in your muscles, too. If you're in a lot of pain, or favoring your back or doing any kind of activity (or non-activity) that's unusual, you might get weird knots or something. *shrug* I would still look into it.

I'm trying to find a good acupuncturist in Chicago, actually. I have a weird hip and it's been acting up, as have my shoulders and back. This is reminding me to put that higher on my to-do list.

AND STOP DUSTING!!!!

BeatrixKiddo
03-01-2012, 04:46 PM
See? Esopha agrees with me Miss M. *wondering if you stopped dusting last night*

Have fun in France Esopha. I've always wanted to go. I'm jealous.

There's a great book my mom got years ago called Pain Free by Pete Escogue. He does chapters on each part of the body. Good (gentle) exercises in there if you want to check it out.

Bubastes
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Your daughters can "de-cat" hair the living room when they get there. Or at least one of them can while the other watches the babies.

Stop it. You are going to regret it later. You know you always do too much. You need to rest Miss M.

We need another AW member to go over to your house and dust for you. *sends a shout out*

Ditto. REST, DAMN IT.

Squicky!! So glad to see you again!

mscelina
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
A tornado outbreak. Seriously? That is SO not cool, especially with snow forecast for Sunday. Doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately, too, if there is a tornado warning for where I'm at, I am totally screwed. I can't do steps. So I would have to go down the stairs to the basement step by step and THEN try to pull myself up somehow at the bottom. By the time I negotiated all of that, the house would be gone and I would too.

Damnit. Damn damn damn.

mscelina
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh by the way--I'm not sure if you Musalings participated in the 'let's get Celina a get well gift' deal of Kerry's, but I'm now going shopping for a recliner or armchair/ottoman deal.

I was so freaking amazed--Musa writers and staff contributed over 300 dollars for me and in the process raised enough so I could get the one thing I needed but couldn't afford to get right now. I can't tell you how much that means to me. So now I'm sharing the love with all of Musa.

Thank you.

**hugs**

Bubastes
03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Gentle {{{hugs}}} back! Enjoy the chair!

BeatrixKiddo
03-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Awe, that's very cool Miss M.

Let's hope the twisters skip your area. The last thing you need is an attempt down some stairs right now.

mscelina
03-03-2012, 02:19 AM
The weather is so ominous that Shannon left school early so he would be here when the storms hit our neck of the woods. So, if we do get a tornado warning, he'll help me down the stairs and I'll be all right. Until then, though, I'm busily uploading my WIPs into an online storage space. I can't take the laptop and leave the Dali hanging on the wall, damnit.

BeatrixKiddo
03-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Heh, point taken but we just want to make sure your back is protected no matter what happens. (no dusting!)

I hope the storms passed you guys by, as far as the more serious parts.

We got some snow but less then we thought we were going to get. If Illinois got more severe storms, it was farther south then us. I didn't check the news last night, so I'm not sure.

Hope all our Fangers are good and safe so far.

BenPanced
03-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I must be tired, cranky, or both. Too much going on here today that's just getting me hacked off.

eqb
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Benny: *hugs*

BeatrixKiddo
03-06-2012, 02:02 AM
*hugs Brak tightly too*

BenPanced
03-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Eat yer heart out, Beethoven!

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/000k45kr

mscelina
03-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Those are pretty nifty, Benny. :) Very nice.

BenPanced
03-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Thanks! A good supply of them are coming with me to Chicago.

Haggis
03-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Thanks! A good supply of them are coming with me to Chicago.
Chicago? Make sure nobody's selling hot dogs nearby you there, Ben. They put tomatoes in them. No ketchup. And who would want to buy a book when they were eating a hot dog with a tomato? And without ketchup?

Bubastes
03-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Excellent cards, Benny!

BenPanced
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Chicago? Make sure nobody's selling hot dogs nearby you there, Ben. They put tomatoes in them. No ketchup. And who would want to buy a book when they were eating a hot dog with a tomato? And without ketchup?
Me. That's who.

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/0008f9cd

*drools*

Excellent cards, Benny!
Thanks! I'm very happy with the way they turned out, especially with as much grief as they gave me during the design process.

Haggis
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh, that's so wrong.

The hot dogs, I mean. Not the cards. The cards are good.

BeatrixKiddo
03-10-2012, 01:50 AM

Hot dogs with tomatoes are good. But I use ketchup and mustard on hot dogs too. Yeah, we're weird about hot dogs here. :D We put all kinds of stuff on them.

BenPanced
03-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Oh, that's so wrong.

The hot dogs, I mean. Not the cards. The cards are good.
Dude: pickles in two different formats.

Pickles in two different formats.

PICKLES. TWO. FORMATS.

Haggis
03-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Dude: pickles in two different formats.

Pickles in two different formats.

PICKLES. TWO. FORMATS.
Sure. Yeah. Fine. I can live with that. But what's with the tomatoes? And no ketchup? That's Third World, dude.

BenPanced
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
"Gimme a dog and drag it through the garden."

mscelina
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
How is it that authors who are able to SELF PUBLISH their books expect me to believe that they can't (a) use track changes; (b) sign up for Skype; (c) work our database; (d) figure out Yahoo groups; (e) or complete any task that requires a working knowledge of computers and the internet. By God they can show up HERE and dogpile on me, but they sure as hell can't figure out how to WORK online.

Damn frustrating.

BeatrixKiddo
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I thought self publishing was still frowned upon by the publishing houses? Is that still an option these days? (Never self published, so not sure)

Just ignore them. They'll figure it out eventually. :D

mscelina
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Self-publishing, unfortunately, has created thousands of books that no one ever reads. Hundreds of thousands of them. Tens of thousands of self-pubbed authors of books that no one ever reads come to the conclusion that maybe self-publishing wasn't the right route for them. So, they query on those self-published books, and at Musa I'll occasionally take a chance on a few of them. Unfortunately, some of those self-published authors then take exception to an integral part of the publishing process--namely EDITING--and act like imbeciles because they think that the editor will eventually give up and just publish the book the way it was self-published. They think that the editorial staff is stupid enough to believe that despite the fact that they created, formatted, and uploaded a book through the self-publishing process (not easy), I'm going to believe that they are computer illiterate enough to not be able to 'understand' or 'work' the few little things they have to do at Musa.

Unfortunately for them, that's not the case. And when a writer tries that with one of my editors while I'm off work, I pull the editor from the book and inform the author that I will now take over the editing of their book--after I get back to work and whenever I can fit it into my schedule, which necessitates, naturally, the pulling of said book from the release schedule until all these matters can be addressed.

*shrug* Passive-aggressive assholishness with a member of my staff has very definite repercussions.

BeatrixKiddo
03-13-2012, 12:45 AM
I guess I'd be curious to know what percentage of them are worth the hassle. It also makes me realize how much work I still have to do before approaching any publishing company.

I was checking out the Musa site again. I really like the cover art for the latest issue of Penumbra.

BenPanced
03-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Of course, they can just point at this and complain about how mean teh editurzez really are and how much they hateses Preshus.

Bubastes
03-13-2012, 03:39 AM
I wonder how people like that function in life.

Haggis
03-13-2012, 05:20 AM
I wonder how people like that function in life.
We generally do okay until we come up against people who don't appreciate our genius.

And thanks for asking. :)

BeatrixKiddo
03-15-2012, 02:44 AM
I keep wondering what it would be like to be an editor. I don't know how you people have time, for anything. Too much reading!

BenPanced
03-18-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm currently working on the Great Promo Experiment that's either going to succeed brilliantly or fail just as brilliantly. I'm using a business card template in Apple's iWork Pages to put together a sample booklet of the first chapter of BINSIDLY and it's going well so far. Peter thinks I can reformat the text blocks to include a page number but I just tried that and moved the last page off the file.

Next comes printing, trimming, and stapling them. All. 150. of them.

Version 2.0 of the prototype and the scale I'm working with:

http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/000k507p

I got folding business cards of the front cover, listing my site and Musa's on the back, then formatted 16 pages of part of the first chapter and the bio from my website.

BenPanced
03-21-2012, 06:22 AM
10 down...140 to go...

Jersey Chick
03-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Go!! :Shakes pom poms:

BeatrixKiddo
03-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Shoot, can't see it Ben. All I get is the dreaded red x instead. Do you have a link to the image?

BenPanced
03-22-2012, 04:10 AM
http://pics.livejournal.com/benpanced/pic/000k507p

Hopefully it'll work.

BeatrixKiddo
03-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Dangit, I can't view it at work. Grrr. Stupid online work restrictions!

I will take a look at it when I get home. (sowy)

mscelina
03-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Got back home today from operation #2 of 2012 and what was the first thing I did?

Finished up Penumbra and sent it to design.

And the second thing?

Sent off the What A Pretty Necklace revision with the new opening--an opening that literally came to me in pre-op--to my agent.

And the third thing?

Went to bed. Duh. Had to rest up for the Project Runway finale tonight. At any rate, I literally would have been happy regardless of who won. This is the only finale of PR where I loved all three designers.

So now, I'm just futzing around with some world building. With the latest surgery and this purgatorial brace thing I now have to wear, I'm supposed to lay down and stay down so I have to write longhand. Since that won't keep me on my 2k an hour pace, I think I'm going to play around with a Tudor-inspired world that's been niggling in my head.

BenPanced
03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
*kicks empty likker bottles under couch*

*hollow sound of empty likker bottles ricocheting off dead DJ*

Celina. You're back. So soon.

Jersey Chick
03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
**hic**

oh, hai!

BeatrixKiddo
03-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Just promise us you won't try to start dusting again.

*gives you a stern look*

mscelina
03-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah. I missed you guys too.

I think I need to try on some more Doom Bunny avatars. This one doesn't quite fit my mood.

BenPanced
03-25-2012, 06:07 AM
We cleaned up! Mostly! If you count bricking up the bathroom and starting over again.

mscelina
03-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Brick? For a bathroom? Good grief, Benny, what kind of queer guy are you anyway? Everyone knows that travertine marble is the ONLY acceptable option for a bathroom.

Brick, indeed!

And they better not have been glass bricks or I shall be forced to taunt you a second time.

BenPanced
03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
You haven't seen the new bathroom, then. It's where the kitchen used to be. Of course, we then had to move the kitchen to where the sewing room was. And the sewing room is now in the laundry room. But the old bathroom is behind that wall now.

eqb
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Celina: Welcome back!

Benny: All that redecorating means I need a new map to find my way around here.

BeatrixKiddo
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
We want pics Ben. We need proof of this "sewing room" you speak of. I didn't know those even existed anymore.

So, I'm stuck on Chapter Nine of my WIP. Sigh.

BenPanced
04-02-2012, 06:10 AM
I just mentioned to somebody I thought I'd try tinkling on the piano again and they spread newspaper underneath it. That's not what I meant, you horrible person.

And on the promo booklet project, 120 down, 30 to go.

eqb
04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
*wanders in, vents for twenty minutes non-stop about stupid sellers acting as though they don't want to sell their damned house, gulps down the extra strong coffee from six days ago, punches wall, and leaves*

mscelina
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Punch the wall for me too. I find myself vastly annoyed by the ignorance and stupidity some people display in their day to day lives.

eqb
04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
I will absolutely do that for you.

*punches wall six more times*

mscelina
04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Wow. I feel better AND I can still type. Awesome.

BeatrixKiddo
04-03-2012, 01:00 AM
*hugs for you both, along with nice hot cups of tea and crumpets*

Jersey Chick
04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
**sneaks in to add more fluffy pillows**

**makes fresh coffee**

**sneaks out**

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 01:38 AM
:sneaks in:

:places bottle of Bailey's next to coffeemaker:

:sneaks out:

eqb
04-03-2012, 04:20 AM
Fresh coffee! Baileys!

*leaps*

It's possible the sellers will see reason by tomorrow. Failing that, I will punch the wall again and go back to surfing zillow.com.

In happier news, my on-signing check for my second Tor contract just showed up in my agent's mailbox.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Ssh. Watching The Voice. And as much as I love Blake, this pubescent cowgirl isn't holding her own after the previous two singers.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I don't get Rae Lyn. She doesn't do it for me. No one has just lit me up tonight--yet. Maybe I'm in a cranky mood.

Nah, I prefer to think it's them and not me.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 04:57 AM
Well, for me--I enjoyed Jermaine and Chris. The three since then? Not so much.

Good to see you wasting time Fangster-style again. :)

*waiting for RT chatter from Benny. Damn, I wish I could have gone*

Oh Benny--I may need you to be the gathering point for Musa authors at RT.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:03 AM
I'll be there early for the advanced writers' workshop, so I can scope out the bar area too if you'd like. Any tips? Closest to the elevator banks, right?

ETA: I do NOT like this rendition of Heart on The Voice. Sorry, I love this song, and it's not easy to compete with Ann Wilson's pipes.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Whu? Fangsters actually hanging out in the thread? Never say it's so!

I wish I was going anywhere.

I just really enjoyed Jordis. I liked Jermaine and Chris, but they didn't make me want to grab my iPod and download.

Okay, maybe it's really me and not them.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:09 AM
I'm in between projects and doing promo/RT prep. It's nice to kick back in the thread again!

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:11 AM
I'll be there early for the advanced writers' workshop, so I can scope out the bar area too if you'd like. Any tips? Closest to the elevator banks, right?

ETA: I do NOT like this rendition of Heart on The Voice. Sorry, I love this song, and it's not easy to compete with Ann Wilson's pipes.

Oh I am SO glad you're doing Bobbi's class! You're going to love it. If Jade Lee comes in to teach, listen very carefully to her characters/descriptors workshop. It's invaluable, IMO. You'll have to take notes for me in the agents/editors panel too. The pulse of publishing isn't as much in Lancaster OHIO as I thought it was.

Whu? Fangsters actually hanging out in the thread? Never say it's so!

I wish I was going anywhere.

I just really enjoyed Jordis. I liked Jermaine and Chris, but they didn't make me want to grab my iPod and download.

Okay, maybe it's really me and not them.

Me too, SM. I would love to go somewhere. I did book my hotel for WFC in October though.

As for Jordis...well, you really need to have balls to sing Heart and she just couldn't get there. She was belting as loud as she could, on a microphone on a TV set and still got drowned out by the band.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Oh I am SO glad you're doing Bobbi's class! You're going to love it. If Jade Lee comes in to teach, listen very carefully to her characters/descriptors workshop. It's invaluable, IMO. You'll have to take notes for me in the agents/editors panel too. The pulse of publishing isn't as much in Lancaster OHIO as I thought it was.

Will do. Jade Lee isn't teaching at Bobbi's workshop this year. They're also not doing the three-chapter writing challenge. :(

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:17 AM
Aw, damn. Oh well--I'll have to dig out my notes for you instead.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:18 AM
What's with the Chippendale dancers?

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Aw, damn. Oh well--I'll have to dig out my notes for you instead.

That would be wonderful. Thank you! Any other notes you want? I'm attending mostly craft workshops and publisher spotlights for Carina, Samhain, Harlequin, and St. Martin's Press.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Tell St. Martins to buy ToS.

Any notes you want to share, I'll take a look at.

Oh--and Erin is DA BOMB! I lovelovelove her voice.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Erin! That's what I'm talking about!

Sorry. Still watching The Voice.

You're gonna have such a good time, Bub.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Erin nailed it!! I love powerful voices.

I'm terrified, to be honest. I don't have many nice clothes, so I'm going business casual for the whole stay (I'm bringing only two party dresses). I figure I'll focus on getting oriented this year. This is my first big conference ever.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:32 AM
RT can be intimidating, but once you see the author leading her leather-bikini-clad husband on a leash through the "formal" party, you will realize that clothes are really NOT that important.

Erin was AWESUM~!

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Wish I was going with you and Benny. :( We need a Fangster road trip.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Leash? Leather binkini? So writer conferences sound much livlier than lawyer conferences. *blinks*

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:37 AM
There actually WAS another convention when I went to RT. A FUNERAL DIRECTORS conference. The leather bikini really shocked the bar. Lizzie Leaf and I just pointed and laughed. It was awesome.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't get Charlotte. Her voice does nothing for me. Meh. Ashley was a real suprise. I liked her a lot more than I thought I would.

I would love to go to a funeral director conference. That's like, free story research there.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Christina and Blake didn't hear the flat notes??? I have a tin ear and *I* heard them!

Oh dear, I'll have to remember to bring my camera.

Checking work e-mails right now after procrastinating all evening.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 05:52 AM
Yeah. She was...not good.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jessie. This should be good.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:53 AM
OMG! Love his song choice.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Whoa...chills. When I hear something exceptional, my scalp tingles. Is that weird?

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Dayum! Where is my iPod!

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:55 AM
Get on my iPod!

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Curse you iTunes! I want instant gratification. Best of Christina's team: Jesse. Best of Blake's team: Erin.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Best of Christina's team: Jesse. Best of Blake's team: Erin.

I agree.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Got it on my iPod. :D My rule is that if I don't love a performance enough to put it on my iPod, I don't vote.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm voting for four tonight. Jesse, Erin, Jermaine, and Chris.

And now for SMASH!

Jersey Chick
04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't watch the Voice.

My WIP is making me crazy.

I'm waiting on rejections replies to my agent queries.

I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon.

blech.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 06:30 AM
You know what? in the REAL world of New York theater, it's not the Karens who walk in with their Midwestern-reared fresh faces and dreamy eyes who get the roles.

It's the Ivys--the seasoned theatrical professionals with big resumes--who land the major roles. But I can deal with THAT small glitch in the plot of Smash.

What I CANNOT deal with is the smarmy little PA producer wanna be. No one who acted like that would EVER EVER be allowed near a Broadway producer, much less the production. His nelly little ass would have been bounced minutes after he got busted releasing performances of songs BEFORE the first workshop and no one would ever have hired him again. NYC theater--Broadway--is one of those nets where everyone knows everything about everyone else.

Soccer Mom
04-03-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm just killing time, waiting for kiddo to finish with a track meet. I get to pick him up at the school.

I feel like I should watch Smash, but somehow it annoys me. :( Halp! I'm turning into a curmugeon. Iz too young to be curmugeon.

BenPanced
04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
*waiting for RT chatter from Benny. Damn, I wish I could have gone*

Oh Benny--I may need you to be the gathering point for Musa authors at RT.
I'll be getting there Tuesday afternoon but I'll probably be meeting up with a friend of mine. I'm planning on sticking around the hotel, anyway, considering the history this friend and I have with exploring Chicago (MORAL OF THE STORY: unless you go to a bar, you'll never find an open restroom at 2:30 in the morning in downtown Chicago THE END).

And while I understand Smash is set in the Broadway of Fantasyland ("Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Mom said we could use the barn as a theater and Dad said he's got some old dresses we can use as costumes!"), I got a case of whiplash on how the Marilyn Monroe show's book and lyrics were finished and the show went to workshop in the time it took for Anjelica Huston to throw a drink in her husband's face and get a refill. I quit after about three episodes. A lot of the fakey stage show stuff I could handle; it was the personal issues that got stuck in my craw. I pretty much wanted everybody to die in a fire, even the characters the writers were expecting me to root for.

mscelina
04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Texting with SM at the moment. She's safe in a boiler room while the tornadoes are tearing up the Dallas area. So she's safe.

Bubastes
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Texting with SM at the moment. She's safe in a boiler room while the tornadoes are tearing up the Dallas area. So she's safe.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about her (just found out about the tornadoes).

mscelina
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
She just sent me a picture from out her window. I'll pop it up here in a minute. Where she's at is just about in the clear, but she's been in the tornado shelter for a long time. Her kids are safe too; her dad was evacuated from his hospital room though.

Soccer Mom
04-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Yeesh, what a day. But I made brownies and now I'm watching The Voice eliminations. Any other fangsters in the house?

mscelina
04-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Yep. I am stunned...STUNNED...that Ashley made it through instead of Sara.

Soccer Mom
04-04-2012, 06:07 AM
I actually liked Ashely better. I'm just glad it wasn't Moses. That was dreadful. Dread. Ful.

Mostly, America got things right. And Jordis was the right pick for Blake's team.

mscelina
04-04-2012, 06:09 AM
I agree. The girl not only has a beautiful voice, but she's smart and unlikely to get derailed by all the horrors that stardom can bring.

And yes about Moses. I was convinced that Christina had lost her ever-loving MIND when she said that song PROVED he could sing. To me, it proved that he couldn't.

Soccer Mom
04-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I know. I think she just couldn't admit she was WRONG. I'm satisfied with the picks for both teams. The only one I'm sorry to see go is Sara.

mscelina
04-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Me too. But I REALLY hope that whacked out fashion model turned Edie Brickell wanna-be headband-wearing arrogant little div-- whatever her name is--gets kicked right back to whatever ridiculous hole she climbed out of.

Not that I dislike her or anything...

Soccer Mom
04-04-2012, 06:23 AM
I never understood why they picked her. She did nothing for me.

mscelina
04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Me either. She sounds like fingernails on a chalk board, and I thought she absolutely got blown off the stage by the pudgy little garage band brothers.

And now for something completely different.

Here I am, being treated by some of the top doctors in the country, and no one wants to take the responsibility for my pain management long enough to wean me off all the meds I've been on for several years and get me on...you know...NORMAL medications. So now, I have one dose of pain meds left. What REALLY makes that awesome is that no one bothered to follow through on the TEN calls I made in the last two days with the result that I was not aware they'd be doing this to me until this morning. So now I am headed to my family doctor on FRIDAY (yes, that's two days of withdrawal) unless I get popped in the hospital first.

Lovely.

I hate doctors.

BenPanced
04-06-2012, 07:23 AM
FINISHED. All 150 sample booklets for But I Never Said I Didn't Love You have been trimmed, folded, and stapled. In time to be shipped out for RTCon.

eqb
04-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Benny: Yay! *offers a shiny badge of accomplishment to you*

Celina: Oy, oy, oy. I guess that required these doctors to actually listen to their patient.

BeatrixKiddo
04-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I'll be getting there Tuesday afternoon but I'll probably be meeting up with a friend of mine. I'm planning on sticking around the hotel, anyway, considering the history this friend and I have with exploring Chicago (MORAL OF THE STORY: unless you go to a bar, you'll never find an open restroom at 2:30 in the morning in downtown Chicago THE END).

Sad, but very true. Chicago is bad that way, unfortunately.

As far as The Voice, I only watch for Adam Levine. He's a bit full of himself, but he sure is purdy.

Soccer Mom
04-07-2012, 02:16 AM
He's purdy and can sing his socks off. He gets to be a bit cocky. Actually, all the mentors can really, truly sing which makes this a better show than some other reality singing shows which I won't mention.

Have so much fun, Benny and Bub. Iz extremely jaloous here.

Bubastes
04-07-2012, 02:30 AM
He's very purdy. I saw Maroon 5 in concert several years ago and he is as good live as on the recordings.

I'll miss you at RT. :( I'll try to provide updates.

I painted my toenails silver for RT. Maybe dark blue glitter for my manicure?

mscelina
04-07-2012, 04:17 AM
You know, I like Adam for totally different reasons. I think he's funny for one, and for two my hubby looks a lot like him.

I am SO peeved that I'm not going to beat RT like I was supposed to be, damnit. Oh well. I expect GOSSIP, kids. Lots and lots of gossip.

Bubastes
04-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Reviewing my galley and HATING the little mistakes I can't fix because it's too late. Arrrrrrrgggggghhhh.....

I know, time to shoot the author and get the thing released.

:dives back into proofreading:

ETA: And I apparently still haven't figured out the finer points of verb tense. Is this what they mean by the more you learn, the more you think you suck? I feel like I'm going backwards here.

mscelina
04-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Bub--

If you are seeing serious errors in your galley, make a note of them. If you are seeing things you'd RATHER change, but don't NEED to change, well--the galley isn't the place to do that. But, file the info away for next time.

Soccer Mom
04-07-2012, 04:59 AM
I made triple chocolate cookies. Chewy chocolate cookies with dark chocolate and white chocolate bits. Nom!

Bubastes
04-07-2012, 05:04 AM
NOM!!!!

Thanks for the tip, Cel. That just made a few decisions much easier.

BenPanced
04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
He's very purdy. I saw Maroon 5 in concert several years ago and he is as good live as on the recordings.

I'll miss you at RT. :( I'll try to provide updates.

I painted my toenails silver for RT. Maybe dark blue glitter for my manicure?

You know, I like Adam for totally different reasons. I think he's funny for one, and for two my hubby looks a lot like him.

I am SO peeved that I'm not going to beat RT like I was supposed to be, damnit. Oh well. I expect GOSSIP, kids. Lots and lots of gossip.
I'll be bringing my MacBook since the hotel has weefee and I refuse to rely completely on my Blackberry for intarwebz.

BeatrixKiddo
04-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Mmmm....cookies. Num.

Soccer Mom
04-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Will trade cookies for gossip. K?

Bubastes
04-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Iz here. The bar has a fireplace with nearby seats facing the elevator bank. Good spot to park in the evenings?

mscelina
04-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Hell yes. Absolutely. That's a natural draw point for people coming in and out of where the business of the convention is taking place--the convention bar.

Also, if you make yourself a visible entity in that area from the beginning, people will expect to see you there and meet up with you at different points of the convention.

ALSO--whatever you do, if either of you signed up for pitch sessions, MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE LADY THAT RUNS THE PITCH SESSIONS. She's very nice and gets nothing but punishment from the beyotches demanding things from her at the RT I went to. In fact, in exchange for talking with her in smoking and sitting at her little desk when she went to the potty, I managed to gain 14 pitch sessions instead of the measly 2 you're allowed to have.

Bubastes
04-09-2012, 05:54 AM
I have nothing to pitch this year, but I'll definitely keep that tip in mind for future conferences.

The elevators here are a bit weird because there are four of them arranged in a square, all facing each other, but with glass all around so you can see the lobby and the bar and restaurant as you descend. There are additional seating areas closer to the elevators, but they're not in the bar and I don't think they're as visible. I still think the fireplace at the front of the bar is the best bet because it's so noticeable.

Maybe I'll wear my screaming red sheath dress on Wednesday night too.

BenPanced
04-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Not if I wear mine.

What? Was that out loud?

Bubastes
04-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Not if I wear mine.

What? Was that out loud?

Why not? We can be twinsies!

BenPanced
04-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah, but I'd hate to upstage you.

Soccer Mom
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
:hooray: Fangsters do Chicago! Have fun you two. I want to see pictures.

mscelina
04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
*gets really grumpy that she's stuck in Ohio, dealing with torturers and doctors and cats, oh my*

Haggis
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
*gets really grumpy that she's stuck in Ohio*
That right there would be enough to do it for me.

mscelina
04-10-2012, 02:30 AM
*groan*

Oh. My. GAWD.

I just found my mother-in-law's writing website. I may just have to hurl after all.

BenPanced
04-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Well, Maxi's home and needs a new diet. He also needs meds twice a day, but there's not much left in the bottles. He's scratching at the satellite dish...collar and mewing pitifully to have it removed, but it needs to stay on for the rest of the week.

Soccer Mom
04-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Glad Maxi is back home. Hugs for the kitteh. Now you get to go to RT and Peter gets to give him meds, right?

BenPanced
04-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah, but the meds can be mixed in with the gooshy foodz, so I don't have to buy any extra bandages before I leave. If Maxi needed to be pilled or there were any other special instructions or if I were living alone, I would have canceled going to RTCon but the aftercare's pretty easy.

Bubastes
04-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Awww, poor Maxi. You're a good cat dad.

First day of pre-con done. Whew! My brain is ready to explode with all the information. Jade Lee did her sex scene demo with the teddy bear and purple monkey -- hilarious! Bobbi Smith had us do an impromptu writing exercise: 30 minutes to write the first few paragraphs on a story topic of her choice. She will judge them and let us know the results in the morning. My Alphasmart got a workout from all the note-taking. I might take it easy tonight so I'll be ready for the craziness tomorrow. :e2thud:

Soccer Mom
04-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Yay for awesome days and gushy food that hides meds. :)

I wrote 3000 words today. A small victory and probably all crap, but I wrote them and they are mine! Hah!

BenPanced
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Supershuttle didn't show up where they were supposed to, even though I left explicit directions on how to reach my unit from the street. So it's my fault I never showed up, even though I was waiting where I told them I would be. F*ckers. I canceled the leg home and I'll take the risk of a "regular" taxi. Right now, I'm at Burger King at the airport, thinking it might be close to the time I need to get to my concourse for boarding in about 90 minutes.

Blech. I've been drinking diet pop for nigh on three years now. When does it start to taste and feel "normal"?

Jersey Chick
04-11-2012, 01:45 AM
If it's diet cola, I find a slice of lemon squeezed into it makes it taste better. Not normal, but at least drinkable. I despise all things diet, but since I also despise being pudgy... **le sigh**

My husband swears the "Zero" sodas taste normal. But I think his taste buds are warped because they all taste just as bad as diet to me.

BenPanced
04-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I try to get the "Zero" stuff, as well. I'm also starting to add lemon to the Coke Zero at work; they have lemon wedges for tea in the refrigerator but I figure as long as I'm paying for the fountain Coke, I can have some of the lemon, too.

And I said hello to a Bubastes-shaped blur about 15 minutes ago. She had a few minutes during her class and stepped out to pick up her registration. Also ran into thinker42.

And I'm just now changing into the black Utilikilt.

Jersey Chick
04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I wish I was there.... not being there sucks. :(

BenPanced
04-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Hey, I'm rockin' the Utilikilt. Somebody stopped me and told me I wear mine well.

mscelina
04-11-2012, 03:47 AM
I wish I was there.... not being there sucks. :(

I was supposed to be. I NEEDED to be--for Musa. Damn surgeries anyway.

BenPanced
04-11-2012, 04:02 AM
And somebody in the elevator asked me what I've written, since I'm wearing my name badge with "Published Author" along the bottom. I don't know if she's attending RT (there are at least two other conferences going right now) but I had five seconds to smile politely, mention what I've written, and tell her Kitchen Witch is coming out in May. Booyah.

RT 2013: Kansas City, May 1 - 5.

Soccer Mom
04-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Woo hoo! Sell those books Andy and rawk that Utilikit!

We need picshurs.

BeatrixKiddo
04-11-2012, 06:35 AM
The elevators here are a bit weird because there are four of them arranged in a square, all facing each other...

Did they remind of a "dream within a dream"? (That was my lame attempt at RTCcon/Inception humor.) :D

:hooray: Fangsters do Chicago! Have fun you two. I want to see pictures.

Me too! We demand pics!

Well, Maxi's home and needs a new diet. He also needs meds twice a day, but there's not much left in the bottles. He's scratching at the satellite dish...collar and mewing pitifully to have it removed, but it needs to stay on for the rest of the week.

Awe, poor Maxi. Hope he'll feel better soon.

BenPanced
04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
The elevators here are a bit weird because there are four of them arranged in a square, all facing each other, but with glass all around so you can see the lobby and the bar and restaurant as you descend.
I'm over in the Executive Wing, which is a trip and a half: my room number is 2320 but I'm on the third floor.

Bubastes
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you and your Utilikilt!

I have romance trading cards in my badge holder so I can give them to people if they ask what I've written. Woot! Let's sell lots of books for Team Musa!

BenPanced
04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Ran into...a male person...okay...he was a dick...who thought he was being funny when he looked at me and said, "Woah. I saw the earrings and the skirt, but then I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the beard." The woman behind me in the elevator said with a bit of a pained tone, "It's called a kilt. They wear them in Scotland." My friend Scot, who could see her, said she looked embarrassed enough for all of us.

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to talk to that Grace Wen chick, do so. It was really nice to spend a few minutes this morning chatting with her, and we even exchanged autographed trading cards (HOW COOL IZZAT?!)

Already have 4 free books. I'm now off to add a few more since I have some time to kill before opening ceremonies.

Soccer Mom
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Had a scary day yesterday. School called, trying to decide if my eldest need an ambulance. He's fine. Bad sinus infection combined with letting himself get very dehydrated made him one loopy kid. Fluids, steroids, and antibiotics. He's doing much better. Even went back to school today. Just no lifting or impact drills, but WHEW! Nothing is more panic-inducing than a sick kiddo.

Bubastes
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
WHEW! So glad sick kiddo is okay, but what a scare!

I'm SO psyched to finally meet Andy! Got a kewl autographed trading card from him. He's even letting me share his promo alley space (I owe Andy a drink big time for that). Great start to a great con.

BenPanced
04-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Met another refugee from The Publisher That Shall Not Be Named Today. She was happy to hear that a fellow has moved on successfully.

And through no fault of my own, I've somehow collected an additional 105 of the romance trading cards above the two what Bubs gave me. I can't help it. It's just...like...they LEAVE them out on the tables...just DARING us to take them or something...

Jersey Chick
04-12-2012, 03:48 AM
SM, so glad to hear the kidlet is on the mend. Scary school phone calls are no fun.

Bubs and Benny - LUCKY! :D

mscelina
04-12-2012, 03:51 AM
Well, I just got back from an all-day hell trip to Ohio State Medical Center, the end result of which is--

Can we all say it together?

MORE back surgery for Celina.

Yippee skippy whoop di do.

Jersey Chick
04-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Well that just sucks.

mscelina
04-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Yeah, it does. Not as major as the last ones by any stretch of the imagination, but yet again I'll be missing some work. Damn!

Soccer Mom
04-12-2012, 05:20 AM
:(