• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Fantasist Enterprises

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
From their About page:
What is a “Fantasist”?

Fan • ta • sist | [fan-tuh-sist] | noun: 1. A person who writes or composes fantasies or fantasias in prose, poetry, music, or the like 2. One who creates a fantasy.
We are dedicated to reawakening the sense of wonder that our modern society can so easily suppress and disregard. We want our readers to recapture the wide-eyed glee they had as children, thinking that old trees contained spirits and clouds hid floating castles. We want them to study the shadows, trying to catch that strange movement they thought they saw, and experience visions that linger on the edges of their waking minds.
We are dedicated to high-quality books that are impeccably edited. If you are a writer, we want to work with you to create the best possible version of your story that you can write. Our passion is storytelling, and we believe in exploring that passion with our authors. We will strive to help young authors to hone their craft, and we will push grizzled veterans of the publishing industry to go just a little farther.
We are dedicated to fantastic art, and will do our best to fill our books with works of breathtaking beauty.
So let the words and images take you. It’s time to awaken your wonder!
http://fantasistent.com/

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, they seem to have anthologies than anything else. I only saw two full-length novels on there. They seem to care both about the reader and the writer, which is good I think. It's really important to care about the reader, because the reader is the one that buys that product. However, having a good writer relationship is good as well, because you don't want to get into a bad contract.

They also seem fairly new and small.

The thing that really worries me is that the prices on their books seem kind of high. Is that for eBooks or print books?

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
The description for the books say "trade paperback" and gives the trim sizes. It looks like they average around $13-$14. I don't think that's a high price at all. It actually puts them at the low end of most publishers I've seen.
http://fantasistent.com/shop/fantasy-books/#first
Even without the discount that they apparently give for direct orders, the cover price is still not unusually high compared to other trade paperbacks.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
The description for the books say "trade paperback" and gives the trim sizes. It looks like they average around $13-$14. I don't think that's a high price at all. It actually puts them at the low end of most publishers I've seen.
http://fantasistent.com/shop/fantasy-books/#first
Even without the discount that they apparently give for direct orders, the cover price is still not unusually high compared to other trade paperbacks.

Okay. Then, yes. That's reasonable for a trade paper back. I thought that they were charging that for an eBook.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
They're not that new. I sold a story to one of their anthologies back in 2006.

Having met some of the Fantasist folks, they seem like good people, It's definitely small press, and you're not going to make any bestseller lists, but they try to take care of their authors.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
I sold a story to their Fantastical Visions Vol. II anthology back in 2003. W.H. Horner was great to work with, and he was very patient with my extreme newness to the world of writing back then. He provided timely and excellent feedback on my manuscript, which needed a lot of work.

I've gone back to their website several times over the past few years, and although they've recently been closed to submissions, their website has changed. (I think I last checked it four or five months ago, and it's changed since then.) So Fantasist Enterprises is up to something, but I'm not sure what.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Although I'm not writing them off yet, it's troubling that site/blog/Tw/FB activity stopped in July. Anyone have recent contact with them?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Revived mid'-14.