What scene, in movie history, made you cry?

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps not the worst of them, I'll put down the end of Godfather III. Ouch.

FrankiiGii

Registered
Reaction score
Sad or disappointing? I bawled at the end of Life is Beautiful. If you like Holocaust films it's one of the best I've seen.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch. Gets me every time. Guess I'm not as tough as I look...

It's not just you. Any American man who doesn't cry at that scene has something wrong with his soul.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking. Later on when the main guy (I forget his name) read his wife's letter.

Toy Story 3 had a few moments that got to me also. Pixar, why must you make people cry about cartoon characters?

Krissy Reynolds

Once Upon A Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Toy Story 3 had a few moments that got to me also. Pixar, why must you make people cry about cartoon characters?

THIS. And, it isn't just Pixar either...Disney Fox & the Hound. Tears.

But, the worst has to be Boy & the Striped Pajamas. I have never balled so hard at a movie. I can't watch it again. I literally have to leave the room.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking. Later on when the main guy (I forget his name) read his wife's letter.

Up had me in tears. I sat there thinking about my husband and our lives together, picturing us as old folks.

Life is Beautiful had me too.

Casablanca, of course.

Shadowlands, when C.S. Lewis's wife, Joy Gresham dies. I cried like a baby at that one.

Most recently, Steel Magnolias, but for more personal reasons having lost someone close to me to diabetes.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
E.T - When he goes home (As a kid it was my favourite movie, I would watch it over and over again, each time running into my mum's sweing room howling "E.T's gone home." - now I'm terrified of him, I have an overactive imagination and If I even see a picture of the little critter I imagine him in my house following me around. Crazy I know lol).
Disney films. - Fox and the Hound.
- Beauty and The Beast
- The Lion King.
- Bambi

My Sister's Keeper. - I first watched it 8 weeks after my son was diagnosed with a brain tumor - Forgetting what it was about - Really stupid thing to do. I howled like a baby.
Now that my son is in remission, it's my 'when I need a cry' movie.
I've lived the Oncology mum thing, I know what it's like to look at your child not knowing if they're going to live or die.
The hospital parts of the movie is crap - I see right through it, but it never fails to pull the heart strings - I think it's just what it stands for.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
This one.

Shinji: I wanna stay with you, Asuka... and I want to help you. But, I don't know what to do.
Asuka: Then don't do anything. Don't come near me. All you ever do is hurt me.
Shinji: Asuka, help me! Please! Asuka, you're the only person that can help me!
Asuka: Liar.
Shinji: Asuka . . .
Asuka: Anyone will do. You don't care who it is! You're afraid of Misato, and the First Child... you're afraid of your mother and father, too! So now you come running to me . . .
Shinji: No, I need you to help me . . .
Asuka: — because that's the easiest way to keep from getting hurt! You never even loved yourself! You're all you have and you never even learned to like yourself!
[pushes Shinji down]
Asuka: How pathetic.
Shinji: [getting back up] Help me. Somebody... please, help me. Help me. Help me... somebody... please help me. Somebody, HELP ME! Don't leave me alone! Don't abandon me! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!
Asuka: No.

Komm, süsser Tod.

Last edited:

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score

I don't cry. Ever. Seriously, something must be wrong with me. But this here, the first third of UP, had my significant other bawling. I walked into the bedroom to find him on the bed red-eyed, wet-faced, and sniffling.

My son cried for the first time (in terms of movie watching cry) when he saw the kids in Narnia saying goodbye to *SPOILER* Reepicheep (the giant mouse - I think that's his name? I'm probably wrong).

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The last ten minutes of 'Gallipoli'

The first ten minutes of 'Up'

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch. Gets me every time. Guess I'm not as tough as I look...
It choked me up a little, I admit, but I was distracted. I was on a date (a first date, btw) and he was bawling so hard I thought I'd have to carry him out of the theatre.

The two that did get me however--the first that spring to mind anyway:

The end of Longtime Companion--it's a total cheat and incredibly cheap, but if you'd been a gay man in the 80s, well, I dare you not to react...

The end of Resurrection, where <SPOILER>after all the shit that came down on her, she healed the little kid with cancer. </spoiler> Damn!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch.

Yep.

The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking.

Yep. I nearly threw something at the screen when she miscarried and we're given to believe she can never have kids.

For me, it's the point near the end of It's a Wonderful Life, when George Bailey runs back to the bridge begging Clarence to let him live again. The minute the snow starts falling, I'm blubbering like a baby. This continues to the end, when Harry Bailey says, "A toast to my big brother George--the richest man in town." At which point I'm curled up in a fetal position on the couch, sobbing my eyes out.

I like this movie, but I haven't watched it in over a decade. Mr. Lily and kiddo put it on the week before Christmas, and I had to leave the room.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
For me, it's the point near the end of It's a Wonderful Life, when George Bailey runs back to the bridge begging Clarence to let him live again. The minute the snow starts falling, I'm blubbering like a baby. This continues to the end, when Harry Bailey says, "A toast to my big brother George--the richest man in town." At which point I'm curled up in a fetal position on the couch, sobbing my eyes out.
The point in that scene that always gets me a little choked up is when Ernie reads the telegram from Sam Wainwright. Hey, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
'Always': any scene where Richard Dreyfus' ghost is in the scene with Holly Hunter... I didn't think I'd make it to the car when I left the theater, and when I did make it to the car, I bawled all the way home.

'Green Mile': when they know John Coffee is innocent, but he wants to be executed anyway

'Armageddon' - aw, man... when Bruce says goodbye

'Serenity' - Wash! Dammit!

Any movie with an animal that dies... to this day, I won't watch 'Marley & Me'. Never saw it. Won't ever see it.

Yeah.

There are a million more... I'm an easy touch. :)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The end of Romeo + Juliet makes me bawl like a big baby every time, even though I know what's coming.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm a sap, I cry at just about everything. Even if I'm not supposed to ;) .

But every time I tune in to FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL - if it's playing on TV or something - and if I happen upon John Hannah's eulogy/poem, I burst into tears immediately. There's just something about the way he delivers that poem, and the words in the poem itself. . . oh man, I don't have to have seen any other part of the film, don't have to see it in context, and I'm gone.

Also, when I was kid, I always wept at the end of THE KING AND I.

ETA: Just read someone mentioned the beginning of UP, omg, that one too! And I'll add the beginning of the new STAR TREK movie - don't know how they did it, but they made me care about Kirk's dad in just ten minutes. Well, it helps that he's played by Chris Hemsworth I suppose . ..

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Gah--I forgot about Mr. Holland's Opus. Possibly because I'm not a Dreyfus fan, nor am I a fan of push-yer-button movies. But Mr. Lily put it on one day. When they reached the end and the students played for him the symphony he'd been writing for years...

Gah.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
OH GOOD. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who choked up a bit at the beginning of the new Star Trek movie. :D

Granted, I'm a bit of a trekkie, but I thought it was really well done.

Other than that -- the very end of The Color Purple, Shindler's List, and Dancer in the Dark.

*scratches head*

I think that might be it.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
When Dumbo's mum sings that lullaby to him. Gets me every time. I don't even like that movie...

Not a movie but a TV series but when Delenn and G'Kar thank each other sometime in the last season (I think). It kills me! Just... OK, must stop thinking about it because I'm tearing up.

ETA: Oh god yes! Star Trek! When they showed the Enterprise for the first time! I almost died!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I cried like crazy at the end of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas.

Mainly cause I had never heard of the book before, and never read the synopsis on the film so just turned on sky and omg biggest shock of my life.

A lot of films make me cry though.

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Boys Don't Cry killed me.

There's a bunch of movies I can't watch now because I get teary eyed.

I'm worse with TV shows, though. Buffy and BSG being the worst of them.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
'Serenity' - Wash! Dammit!

Any movie with an animal that dies... to this day, I won't watch 'Marley & Me'. Never saw it. Won't ever see it.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that part in Serenity for a while. Must have blocked it out or something. One of my friends brought it up years later and I punched him in the shoulder.

Same with animal deaths. I don't cry, but if it happens onscreen, I turn off the movie and watch something else (who cares what happens at the end of that movie) or if someone else is watching it with me and won't let me do that, I get up and start vacuuming, doing the dishes, or cooking something. Just to spite the movie...

Like that one movie with vampires and Will Smith.