PDA

View Full Version : What scene, in movie history, made you cry?

CChampeau
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Perhaps not the worst of them, I'll put down the end of Godfather III. Ouch.

FrankiiGii
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Sad or disappointing? I bawled at the end of Life is Beautiful. If you like Holocaust films it's one of the best I've seen.

Gravity
01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch. Gets me every time. Guess I'm not as tough as I look...

SirOtter
01-05-2012, 09:18 AM
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch. Gets me every time. Guess I'm not as tough as I look...

It's not just you. Any American man who doesn't cry at that scene has something wrong with his soul.

Shadow Dragon
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking. Later on when the main guy (I forget his name) read his wife's letter.

Toy Story 3 had a few moments that got to me also. Pixar, why must you make people cry about cartoon characters?

Krissy Reynolds
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Toy Story 3 had a few moments that got to me also. Pixar, why must you make people cry about cartoon characters?

THIS. And, it isn't just Pixar either...Disney Fox & the Hound. Tears.

But, the worst has to be Boy & the Striped Pajamas. I have never balled so hard at a movie. I can't watch it again. I literally have to leave the room.

Mclesh
01-05-2012, 10:06 AM
The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking. Later on when the main guy (I forget his name) read his wife's letter.

Up had me in tears. I sat there thinking about my husband and our lives together, picturing us as old folks.

Life is Beautiful had me too.

Casablanca, of course.

Shadowlands, when C.S. Lewis's wife, Joy Gresham dies. I cried like a baby at that one.

Most recently, Steel Magnolias, but for more personal reasons having lost someone close to me to diabetes.

French Maiden
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
E.T - When he goes home (As a kid it was my favourite movie, I would watch it over and over again, each time running into my mum's sweing room howling "E.T's gone home." - now I'm terrified of him, I have an overactive imagination and If I even see a picture of the little critter I imagine him in my house following me around. Crazy I know lol).
Disney films. - Fox and the Hound.
- Beauty and The Beast
- The Lion King.
- Bambi

My Sister's Keeper. - I first watched it 8 weeks after my son was diagnosed with a brain tumor - Forgetting what it was about - Really stupid thing to do. I howled like a baby.
Now that my son is in remission, it's my 'when I need a cry' movie.
I've lived the Oncology mum thing, I know what it's like to look at your child not knowing if they're going to live or die.
The hospital parts of the movie is crap - I see right through it, but it never fails to pull the heart strings - I think it's just what it stands for.

kuwisdelu
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
This one.

Shinji: I wanna stay with you, Asuka... and I want to help you. But, I don't know what to do.
Asuka: Then don't do anything. Don't come near me. All you ever do is hurt me.
Shinji: Asuka, help me! Please! Asuka, you're the only person that can help me!
Asuka: Liar.
Shinji: Asuka . . .
Asuka: Anyone will do. You don't care who it is! You're afraid of Misato, and the First Child... you're afraid of your mother and father, too! So now you come running to me . . .
Shinji: No, I need you to help me . . .
Asuka: — because that's the easiest way to keep from getting hurt! You never even loved yourself! You're all you have and you never even learned to like yourself!
[pushes Shinji down]
Asuka: How pathetic.
Shinji: [getting back up] Help me. Somebody... please, help me. Help me. Help me... somebody... please help me. Somebody, HELP ME! Don't leave me alone! Don't abandon me! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!
Asuka: No.

Komm, süsser Tod.

JSDR
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM

I don't cry. Ever. Seriously, something must be wrong with me. But this here, the first third of UP, had my significant other bawling. I walked into the bedroom to find him on the bed red-eyed, wet-faced, and sniffling.

My son cried for the first time (in terms of movie watching cry) when he saw the kids in Narnia saying goodbye to *SPOILER* Reepicheep (the giant mouse - I think that's his name? I'm probably wrong).

Dr.Gonzo
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
The end of Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

:(

firedrake
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
The last ten minutes of 'Gallipoli'

The first ten minutes of 'Up'

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch. Gets me every time. Guess I'm not as tough as I look...It choked me up a little, I admit, but I was distracted. I was on a date (a first date, btw) and he was bawling so hard I thought I'd have to carry him out of the theatre.

The two that did get me however--the first that spring to mind anyway:

The end of Longtime Companion (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100049/)--it's a total cheat and incredibly cheap, but if you'd been a gay man in the 80s, well, I dare you not to react...

The end of Resurrection (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081414/), where <SPOILER>after all the shit that came down on her, she healed the little kid with cancer. </spoiler> Damn!

Calla Lily
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
The end of Field of Dreams, where Kevin Costner asks his dad to play catch.

Yep.

The Beginning of Up. It started out all happy and then quickly became heartbreaking.

Yep. I nearly threw something at the screen when she miscarried and we're given to believe she can never have kids.

For me, it's the point near the end of It's a Wonderful Life, when George Bailey runs back to the bridge begging Clarence to let him live again. The minute the snow starts falling, I'm blubbering like a baby. This continues to the end, when Harry Bailey says, "A toast to my big brother George--the richest man in town." At which point I'm curled up in a fetal position on the couch, sobbing my eyes out.

I like this movie, but I haven't watched it in over a decade. Mr. Lily and kiddo put it on the week before Christmas, and I had to leave the room.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
For me, it's the point near the end of It's a Wonderful Life, when George Bailey runs back to the bridge begging Clarence to let him live again. The minute the snow starts falling, I'm blubbering like a baby. This continues to the end, when Harry Bailey says, "A toast to my big brother George--the richest man in town." At which point I'm curled up in a fetal position on the couch, sobbing my eyes out.
The point in that scene that always gets me a little choked up is when Ernie reads the telegram from Sam Wainwright. Hey, I'm tearing up now just thinking about it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
'Always': any scene where Richard Dreyfus' ghost is in the scene with Holly Hunter... I didn't think I'd make it to the car when I left the theater, and when I did make it to the car, I bawled all the way home.

'Green Mile': when they know John Coffee is innocent, but he wants to be executed anyway

'Armageddon' - aw, man... when Bruce says goodbye

'Serenity' - Wash! Dammit!

Any movie with an animal that dies... to this day, I won't watch 'Marley & Me'. Never saw it. Won't ever see it.

Yeah.

There are a million more... I'm an easy touch. :)

Devil Ledbetter
01-05-2012, 06:18 PM
The end of Romeo + Juliet makes me bawl like a big baby every time, even though I know what's coming.

Toothpaste
01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm a sap, I cry at just about everything. Even if I'm not supposed to ;) .

But every time I tune in to FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL - if it's playing on TV or something - and if I happen upon John Hannah's eulogy/poem, I burst into tears immediately. There's just something about the way he delivers that poem, and the words in the poem itself. . . oh man, I don't have to have seen any other part of the film, don't have to see it in context, and I'm gone.

Also, when I was kid, I always wept at the end of THE KING AND I.

ETA: Just read someone mentioned the beginning of UP, omg, that one too! And I'll add the beginning of the new STAR TREK movie - don't know how they did it, but they made me care about Kirk's dad in just ten minutes. Well, it helps that he's played by Chris Hemsworth I suppose . ..

Calla Lily
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Gah--I forgot about Mr. Holland's Opus. Possibly because I'm not a Dreyfus fan, nor am I a fan of push-yer-button movies. But Mr. Lily put it on one day. When they reached the end and the students played for him the symphony he'd been writing for years...

Gah.

sunna
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
OH GOOD. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who choked up a bit at the beginning of the new Star Trek movie. :D

Granted, I'm a bit of a trekkie, but I thought it was really well done.

Other than that -- the very end of The Color Purple, Shindler's List, and Dancer in the Dark.

*scratches head*

I think that might be it.

Thump
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
When Dumbo's mum sings that lullaby to him. Gets me every time. I don't even like that movie...

Not a movie but a TV series but when Delenn and G'Kar thank each other sometime in the last season (I think). It kills me! Just... OK, must stop thinking about it because I'm tearing up.

ETA: Oh god yes! Star Trek! When they showed the Enterprise for the first time! I almost died!

fireluxlou
01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I cried like crazy at the end of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas.

Mainly cause I had never heard of the book before, and never read the synopsis on the film so just turned on sky and omg biggest shock of my life.

A lot of films make me cry though.

Anjasa
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Boys Don't Cry killed me.

There's a bunch of movies I can't watch now because I get teary eyed.

I'm worse with TV shows, though. Buffy and BSG being the worst of them.

JSDR
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
'Serenity' - Wash! Dammit!

Any movie with an animal that dies... to this day, I won't watch 'Marley & Me'. Never saw it. Won't ever see it.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that part in Serenity for a while. Must have blocked it out or something. One of my friends brought it up years later and I punched him in the shoulder.

Same with animal deaths. I don't cry, but if it happens onscreen, I turn off the movie and watch something else (who cares what happens at the end of that movie) or if someone else is watching it with me and won't let me do that, I get up and start vacuuming, doing the dishes, or cooking something. Just to spite the movie...

Like that one movie with vampires and Will Smith.

scarletpeaches
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
The 'secret vow in our hearts' scene in Gandhi.

Alpha Echo
01-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Yes! Me too.

Also...Armageddon at the very end when Bruce Willis goes up to get himself killed.

Million Dollar Baby - from the time she has the accident through to the very end.

Titanic. Yes. Whatever. :tongue When Jack dies.

Tangled when you think the hero's dead...and then again when he's not and everyone's happy.

Letters for Juliet...though I can't remember when.

Steel Magnolias - when Julia Roberts is dying

Beaches - when Bette Midler's dying

Okay...I'm a sap. There are more, I'm sure.

scarletpeaches
01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Funny, with Million Dollar Baby I just didn't care for Swank's character. It was misery, misery, misery all the way through and I wanted Eastwood to just bloody get on and do it.

sunna
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Same with animal deaths. I don't cry, but if it happens onscreen, I turn off the movie and watch something else (who cares what happens at the end of that movie) or if someone else is watching it with me and won't let me do that, I get up and start vacuuming, doing the dishes, or cooking something. Just to spite the movie...

Like that one movie with vampires and Will Smith.

Oh, that reminds me of one I apparently blocked out: Turner and Hooch.

I was 10 and a terminal tomboy, and when Hooch died I hid in my BF's bathroom for at least 15 minutes so they wouldn't know I was crying. :rolleyes:

hitchhiker
01-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Some good choices here. I'll agree with Field of Dreams and It's a Wonderful Life, which is strange because I've seen it so many times. Titanic didn't even make me sad, but that's just me. Steel Magnolias, the first time, when Sally Field has the breakdown after the funeral. Thankfully, Weezer threw in a comedic line to break it up. Million Dollar Baby wasn't so much sad as it was depressing. It was a great movie, though.

I'll add the movie, Ray, because it had several sad parts. The one that had me visible shaken was when he fell (after he was blind) on the floor and he was screaming, "Momma, momma!" and she was right there but wouldn't answer - to get him to learn how to take care of himself. BRUTAL.

And finally I'll add The Road. The significance with this is that I read the book while my wife was pregnent with our third child. The lengths the father went to protect his son (which we were having) and to get him to survive were overwhelming. The movie wasn't as good as the book, but I still knew it was coming and that last scene was more than I could handle. For the record I cried when I read the book too.

Even though I've become more of a cynic with age, I find myself getting more emotional when it comes to parent-child relationships, probably due to being in the middle with young children and aging parents.

Killgore
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Funny, with Million Dollar Baby I just didn't care for Swank's character. It was misery, misery, misery all the way through and I wanted Eastwood to just bloody get on and do it.

Same here. I thought it was a horrible movie. That movie was HORRENDOUS. It was filled with weak, lazy stereotypes. You have, Eastwood as the old, Craggy Boxing Manager, Morgan Freeman playing the stereotypical Magical Negro he's played a dozen times, Swank in the the stereotypical Spunky Tomboy role (basically reprising her role in the Next Karate Kid) and that's just the lead. The cast is rounded out by the Sweet Innocent Retard that gets beat up by Asshole Bully who is Put In His Place by Magical Negro, the cartoonish White Trash Trailer Park Family, and referees straight out of the WWF.

To top it all off, the Craggy, Crotchety Boxing Manager assists in the suicide of a mute, paraplegic. Which is insanely unnecessary, since Spunky, Tomboy Fighter has the right to refuse treatment, telling the doctors to turn off her ventilator. But that just wouldn't be manipulative enough.

What a dreadful shitty movie.

Celia Cyanide
01-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I cry when I watch Battle Royale.

Pterofan
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Cowgirl Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Always have to wipe the spots off the eyeglasses after that scene.

Darkarma
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Deathly Hallows Part 1, Dobby's Death

Manuel Royal
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't cry in real life. But movies let us experience emotions vicariously.

Sadness and horrible things don't make me cry; only moments of transcendence and epiphany. Like at the end of The Miracle Worker, when young Helen Keller, locked in a dark, silent world since infancy, somehow makes the mental leap into language.

Toy Story 3 had a few moments that got to me also. Pixar, why must you make people cry about cartoon characters?They had the perfect ending. The small band of toys is on a trash conveyer belt, heading into the incinerator. Their kid/god has abandoned them; they're at the end. They link hands and face the red glow with dignity.

FADE TO BLACK

(Actually it continued and ended a bit differently.)

Calla Lily
01-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Cowgirl Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Always have to wipe the spots off the eyeglasses after that scene.

I'd blocked that out. Now I remember it. Gah.

Ken
01-06-2012, 01:19 AM
... end of "Random Harvest," 1942, when Ronald Coleman's amnesia fades and he recognizes Greer Garson as his former love.

Belle_91
01-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Yep.

Yep. I nearly threw something at the screen when she miscarried and we're given to believe she can never have kids.

Glad I'm not alone, because I am in my house when my family watches it. I was also in a stage version of this and I teared up every night. I was Mrs. Martini. It's been four years since I've done the play, and I still keep in contact with most of the cast; that's really nice.

Up--beginning and end.

Toy Story 3--I was leaving for college when this came out. I saw it twice; once with friends--one was a big football player who cried--and then my family went and saw it and my parents cried.

The Polar Express--I can't even read the book without crying, and the wonderful music added to the film just makes it worse. The end always gets me about how the bell still rings for him.

Beauty and the Beast--when he lets her go because he loves her so much. Gets me everytime.

Steel Magnolias--when Shelby dies and the famous funeral scene

I also sobbed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows part II. The whole Snape and Lily thing and when Harry was talking to his parents really got me.

The Young Victoria--at the end when Albert gets shot and she's lying over him.

I als tear up when Beth dies in Little Women.

I know, I'm a whimp.

firedrake
01-06-2012, 01:27 AM

Oh, jeez, yes. I'd forgotten about that. Now I want to cry again. :(

Calla Lily
01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
... end of "Random Harvest," 1942, when Ronald Coleman's amnesia fades and he recognizes Greer Garson as his former love.

You said Ronald Colman. *sigh* :e2faint:

When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, He can rise up out of his grave and come eat my brain anytime, as long as he asks in that swoon-worthy voice of his.

I like Random Harvest, but it didn't make me cry. Hmm.

fireluxlou
01-06-2012, 01:36 AM
I also cried at the end of Revolutionary Road. I felt so much sympathy for Kate Winslet's character, her loss and hopelessness and it just made me feel incredibly upset.

Belle_91
01-06-2012, 01:47 AM
When Bambi's mother died used to REALLY upset me when I was younger. Of course Mufasa's death will always get me a little bit too.

There are a lot of deaths/tender moments in Disney films. I remember watching Princess and the Frog in theaters and when Ray died the little girl next to me burst into tears. :( I feel like someone died, almost dies, or has at least one dead parent in at least every Disney film.

Al Stevens
01-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Henry Fonda's closing comments in Grapes of Wrath
When Hoke visits Miss Daisy in the nursing home
When Jessie Stone had to have his dog put down in the TV movie
Orson Welles' summation in Compulsion
Montgomery Clift's testimony in Judgement at Nuremberg
The lynching of Jake Spoon in Lonesome Dove

Excuse me (sniff). I can't think of any more.

hester
01-06-2012, 02:00 AM
The pen scene in A Beautiful Mind.

The beginning of Up.

The end of Sideways (when the guy's agent tells Paul Giamatti his book didn't sell :)).

The entire Browning Version-the early one, with Michael Redgrave.

scarletpeaches
01-06-2012, 02:05 AM
"Stand up, Scout, your father's passing."

Calla Lily
01-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Curse you, Scarlet.

Killgore
01-06-2012, 02:12 AM
I don't cry in real life. But movies let us experience emotions vicariously.

Sadness and horrible things don't make me cry; only moments of transcendence and epiphany. Like at the end of The Miracle Worker, when young Helen Keller, locked in a dark, silent world since infancy, somehow makes the mental leap into language.

They had the perfect ending. The small band of toys is on a trash conveyer belt, heading into the incinerator. Their kid/god has abandoned them; they're at the end. They link hands and face the red glow with dignity.

FADE TO BLACK

(Actually it continued and ended a bit differently.)
Instead of fading to black, they should have been melted down, turned into recycled plastic pellets, and injected molded into new toys.

Belle_91
01-06-2012, 02:14 AM
"Stand up, Scout, your father's passing."
I was just thinking of putting that one up there.

So I'll do this one.

"Heaven, I'm in Heaven." and "That's as good a word as any. He infected us both, didn't he, Mr. Jingles? With life. I'm a hundred and eight years old, Elaine. I was forty-four the year that John Coffey walked the Green Mile. You mustn't blame John. He couldn't help what happened to him... he was just a force of nature. Oh I've lived to see some amazing things Elly. Another century come to past, but I've... I've had to see my friends and loved ones die off through the years... Hal and Melinda... Brutus Howell... my wife... my boy. And you Elaine... you'll die too, and my curse is knowing that I'll be there to see it. It's my attonement you see; it's my punishment, for letting John Coffey ride the lightning; for killing a miracle of God. You'll be gone like all the others. I'll have to stay. Oh, I'll die eventually, that I'm sure. I have no illusions of immortality, but I will wished for death... long before death finds me. In truth, I wish for it already."

Manuel Royal
01-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Although it's been parodied often enough, it's hard to be the "I'm Spartacus!" scene.

Camilla Delvalle
01-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Although it's been parodied often enough, it's hard to be the "I'm Spartacus!" scene.
Yeah, I have some memory of crying at that.

The movies I cry the most at when watching might be The Fountain and What Dreams May Come. I use to rewatch them now and then. If choosing a scene is required, maybe when they are in the dilapidated house in What Dreams May Come. Also I start crying just at the thought of the ending scene of Christmas Oratorio.

The worst one was the anime series Clannad, where I cried literally all the time through the second half of the second season. Also a lot during the final episodes of Noir.

drfrazier
01-06-2012, 04:33 AM
It's not just you. Any American man who doesn't cry at that scene has something wrong with his soul.
It does it every time!!!

fredXgeorge
01-06-2012, 04:48 AM
I'm such a crybaby.

Titanic - Jack's death and Rose's death
Return of the King - when Frodo says that the fellowship was ended and when he left Middle Earth and poor Sam had to live without him
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Dobby's death
Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Fred's death and epilogue
The Little Mermaid - beginning and end
The Lion King - Mufasa's death

There's tons more but they're the main ones.

French Maiden
01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Flowers for Algernon!

I forgot about this one - I watched in my year 11 English and it had half the class howling like babies.

Also Dumbo - where his mum sings him the lullaby.
Even now if i even hear the song I pour my heart out - It's my when i feel i need to cry song.

French Maiden
01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Titanic - Jack's death and Rose's death

I didnt think Rose died. - She's the one telling the story.
Forgive me if i'm wrong.

Ken
01-06-2012, 05:31 AM
I like Random Harvest, but it didn't make me cry. Hmm.

... that's neat you saw the flick in any event :-)

Belle_91
01-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Forgive me if i'm wrong.

It's kind of up for interpratations (sorry if I misspelled back) but she is referring to the old lady in modern times. That is Rose telling the story. At the end of the movie, when she goes to sleep, she dreams of kissing Jack. I personally think she died, but I have heard some people say she was just dreaming. I think that's what French Maiden meant.

@ FredXGeorge--why the Little Mermaid? It's been too long since I've seen that.

Lyxdeslic
01-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Click, with Adam Sandler. You'd think I'm kidding but no. That movie turned my galvanized emotional barrier to soup. 'Course I was going through a divorce and could relate to the plot of missing out on living a life for and with your loved ones.

Damn you, Adam Sandler.

Lyx

MaryMumsy
01-06-2012, 06:31 AM
The end of 'Somewhere In Time', where Chris Reeve's character is walking into the light and young Jane Seymour is waiting for him.

MM

Wayne K
01-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Scent of a Woman, when Frank said, "I'm no fucking good....I never was"

ElsaM
01-06-2012, 06:44 AM
I handle fictional human deaths much better than fictional animal deaths, apparently. So:

Old Yeller
I Am Legend
All Dogs go to Heaven
Wolf's Rain (tv, not movie, but I cried solidly through the last three episodes. It was embarrassing.)

thothguard51
01-06-2012, 07:26 AM
The Memphis Belle...

What those bomber crews went through on their last mission brought me to tears, especially the belly gunner. Very brave young men...

TerzaRima
01-06-2012, 08:17 AM
When Shadow, the wise old dog, appears over the hill at the end of The Incredible Journey.

Terms of Endearment, when Debra Winger learns she is dying and her girlfriend tells her she can't: "You're my touchstone, Emma."

CChampeau
01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Does anyone remember Old Yeller? It's a 1957 film, but I watched it in preschool and it practically traumatized me when I saw the end. Loved it anyway.

Edit: Elsa M - I see you know what I mean ;)

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
The Color Purple. eeeesh.

Saving Private Ryan (very end)

Glory. Storming Fort Wagner and when Denzel was being whipped for stealing shoes.

Tombstone - when Doc Holiday died.

The Iron Giant - "Superman!"

Dead Poet's Society

As for television, the last 3 episodes of Babylon 5 made me cry. The finale made me weep like a wee lil' baby.

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Forgive me if i'm wrong.

I took the ending as her dying--meeting up with Jack on the stairs w/all the other folks who died. But, maybe she was just dreaming. She said she met him in her dreams every night. So, who knows. =) I cried at that part too.

MamaStrong
01-06-2012, 08:54 AM
' Life as we know it"

Recent film and the part where the friend finds out her best friend and her best friends husband died in a motorcycle accident. :( I sobbed for a few moments at that scene.

Dreity
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
When Shadow, the wise old dog, appears over the hill at the end of The Incredible Journey.

Oh my gosh, yes. I've seen that movie a bajillion times, but every time, man, every time...

MamaStrong
01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Remember when Jack was telling her all that she was going to do..."ride horseback like a man...", "have kids", "travel the world" and then......"die peacefully in her sleep as an old woman". Well I took her sleeping that night, as the camera roamed over all her "adventures", all that Jack said she would do...as her living her life and passing on. Meeting Jack at the stairs was her "crossing over" so to speak...if that makes sense. That's how I took Titanic.,

Sea Witch
01-06-2012, 09:11 AM
+1 on what TerzaRima and Dreity said about The Incredible Journey when Shadow rises over the hill.

Also Out of Africa made me sob like a fool in the theater when she says goodbye to her manservant and is leaving Africa. I cried during the rest of the movie too......

reiver33
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
The end of 'Romeo and Juliet'.
The end of 'The Incredible Journey'.
The end of 'Titanic' where she finds herself back with Jack and the others who died.

The final episode of 'Babylon 5' - the sense of separation and loss struck a chord in my life back then. Even now I can't watch it without feeling that tight fist of anguish in my chest.

CACTUSWENDY
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
The Fighting Sullivans----1944

My mom had me watch this when I was young as she said it was based on a real life story. I cried and cried. Through the years when it has been replayed it has the same reaction on me.

Saving Pt. Ryan was also a take off from that, but for me did not have the impact that the Fighting Sullivans had on me. I remember holding my breathe wondering who died. Such an impact.

FrankiiGii
01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Okay it's a chick flick but I always cry when I watch PS I Love You.

The Fall when the stunt man is making the story he's telling the little girl end really sadly and she's begging him to stop.

Ugh, the scene in Alpha Dog when they kill the kid. I was so upset.

I can't remember which one it was but the Star Trek movie when I think Spock died. I lost it.

TamaraLynne
01-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Lots of movies...I cry alot but mostly happy tears.

August Rush was awesome! Happy tears :)

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
The end of 'Romeo and Juliet'.
The end of 'The Incredible Journey'.
The end of 'Titanic' where she finds herself back with Jack and the others who died.

The final episode of 'Babylon 5' - the sense of separation and loss struck a chord in my life back then. Even now I can't watch it without feeling that tight fist of anguish in my chest.

I've only watched the final episode twice. I'm not sure I could do it again. It's so utter gut-wrenching. It nails you in the stomach.

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I can't remember which one it was but the Star Trek movie when I think Spock died. I lost it.

Holy cow, I know. Me too.

You were and always shall be my friend......

(sniff)

Oh, and Tamara, I watched August Rush recently and just loved that flick. It was such a wonderful fairy tale of a movie.

Jehhillenberg
01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Flowers for Algernon!

I forgot about this one - I watched in my year 11 English and it had half the class howling like babies.

Also Dumbo - where his mum sings him the lullaby.
Even now if i even hear the song I pour my heart out - It's my when i feel i need to cry song.

Yeah, I think our high school freshmen class watched it. We read it, and that alone saddened me.

But.....

I was never one to cry from movies, or be moved emotionally, but that's changed in recent years for some reason.

Predictable, I know but the scene in Titanic where Rose is holding onto to Jack's hand and the rescue boats return for last minute survivors. "Jack, Jack. I won't let go, Jack." She almost gives up, but blows that whistle for Jack's promise. Eventually she lets go, letting him fall to a watery grave.

For a high school class, I checked out Anne Frank: The Whole Story from the library. The scene where they're being transported via train and shoved into the holocaust camps really had me bawling like a baby. I'm tearing up just writing this. In the scene there was a little girl, maybe 4 or 5 years old, separated from her family and innocently smiling as she was rushed along in the crowd. Had no idea where she was going.

firedrake
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Also Out of Africa made me sob like a fool in the theater when she says goodbye to her manservant and is leaving Africa. I cried during the rest of the movie too......

That bit right at the end when she's talking about the lions visiting the grave and all the time that gorgeous theme music is going on in the background...it chokes me up.

FrankiiGii
01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I loved Out of Africa. Talk about a man's man.

nighttimer
01-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm a total wimp for Field of Dreams when Burt Lancaster walks into the fields and Saving Private Ryan when we realize who the old man in the beginning really is.

Children of Men also gets to me.

My wife delights in watching her big ol' macho man blubber over Terms of Endearment. :cry:

Don't know why it turns on the waterworks but it never fails.

SPMiller
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I can't recall having cried because of a movie.

Or a book for that matter.

lastlittlebird
01-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I cry in everything. Even happy moments. Especially happy moments.

But one (sad) one that's sprung to mind is Gorillas in the Mist. The part where she breaks down and starts sobbing about how they took his hands.
And when they take the baby gorilla away from her.
And pretty much the whole thing really.

Oh and the end of Once Were Warriors had me sobbing for hours when I first saw it.

Catalyn
01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I get teary in quite a few films, but there's a couple of notable ones.

I remember watching Cold Mountain with my university house mates a few years ago - the ending hit me so bad I had to leave the room because no-one else could hear the film over my blubbing. I've still only seen that film once, keep meaning to get the DVD just to see the parts I missed while I was locked in the bathroom!

The other film that always gets me is Gladiator. I've seen it so many times that I know it almost word for word, and I always cry at the ending. I think a huge part of that is the music; I have the soundtrack and that also makes me cry when certain tracks play.

I have Up on my shelf at the moment but I've been too chicken to watch it because I know I'll cry - I'm saving it for when I'm all alone. :D

LadyA
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
A SUMMER STORY always makes me cry so bad. It's an old 80s film that my granddad acted in (he played the farmer) and the scene at the end, where the old man sees his son, but knows he can never tell him who he is - that was so sad. It's got pretty good actors in, like Sophie Ward, Imogen Stubbs, but it sort of slipped under the radar. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096189/

I also always cry at Titanic, when Rose throws the necklace in the sea - that's even worse to me than when Jack dies, I don't know why.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
SUMMER STORY always makes me cry so bad. It's an old 80s film that my granddad acted in (he played the farmer) and the scene at the end, where the old man sees his son, but knows he can never tell him who he is - that was so sad. It's got pretty good actors in, like Sophie Ward, Imogen Stubbs, but it sort of slipped under the radar. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096189/

I also always cry at Titanic, when Rose throws the necklace in the sea - that's even worse to me than when Jack dies, I don't know why.

I LOVED A Summer Story (was convinced I was the only person who had seen it!) and I bawled like a baby. Here he was thinking she had just gone ahead and married Joe, when the truth was that...

Titanic of course. Cuz I'm a big ole wimp. And Old Yeller. And the final scene in "If These Walls Could Talk" with Cher. I was hysterical the first time I saw it. My husband almost thought he was going to have to call the hospital, I was that upset.

Calla Lily
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
This one is a little odd: The penultimate scene in A League of Their Own, when Geena Davis gives up her career (in essence) to her younger sister, and goes home with her husband.

My oldest offspring was about 3 months old when I saw that movie, and I was feeling fat, ugly, and exhausted. All that scene said to me was: My life is over. I'm trapped with my kids and husband and I'll never do anything meaningful again.

Baby blues--gotta love 'em. :rolleyes: Mr. Lily to this day does not understand why that scene makes me blubber, still. Because once I got past the baby blues a little bit later, I was like, "Okay, here I am, here's the kid, let's make my new life into what I want to do." :e2shrug:

crunchyblanket
01-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't cry at films all that often (I've got a heart of stone) but these are the few moments I remember crying at:

The Green Mile, when John Coffey begs them not to put the bag over his head because he's afraid of the dark. That whole sequence, actually, every single time I watch it, makes me bawl like a baby.

"Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?"

The opening scene from Up

La Vita E Bella, especially the ending.

The Grave Of The Fireflies. The whole film is just so desperately sad.

Hotel Rwanda and Waltz With Bashir although that was more horror and despair than true sadness.

robeiae
01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
The end of Wall Street, when Michael Douglas had to go to jail.

Vemy Paw
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
The end of Bridge to Terabithia. I watched it together with my cousin and we cried together...

Ari Meermans
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Only two movies have made me cry and they were both silly movies I was "roped" into watching. The first time was the end of The Mummy Returns where Evie saves Rick from falling into the underworld and Anck-su-namun abandons Imhotep to his doom after all the villainy he performed out of love for her. The other was a sappy Hallmark movie The Lost Valentine starring Betty White.

People have now been warned that if it's not a Bruce Willis "yippy-ki-yay", a Jason Bourne-type movie, or such-like , I ain't interested.

crunchyblanket
01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Oh, the end of Withnail and I, where Withnail recites the Hamlet monologue to nobody at all.

seun
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Scenes that show basic human decency, as long as they stay away from the cheese, kill me.

The soldiers stopping their firefight in Children Of Men. And Michael Caine's last scene in the same film.

Butch and Sundance. You know which scene.

Two or three scenes and lines in LOTR. Liv Tyler facing off against the Ring Wraiths in the first one ("If you want him, come and claim him"), Sam's lines about dark stories near the end of part two, and a couple in the third: "Courage, Merry. Courage for our friends". And Merry and Pippin legging it into battle at the Gates of Mordor.

"Sloth love Chunk."

Yeah. The Goonies. Want a fight about it?

yellowhammer
01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
The scene in Titanic where the ship is sinking and they show the lower deck with the peasant mom reading to her children. I'm tearing up just thinking about that. I cried WAY more during that scene than when Jack died.

I cried when Marley died in Marley and Me. What? I'm a dog lover!

scarletpeaches
01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I took the ending as her dying--meeting up with Jack on the stairs w/all the other folks who died. But, maybe she was just dreaming. She said she met him in her dreams every night. So, who knows. =) I cried at that part too.I thought it was obvious she died and met the others who had died on the Titanic, too. Remember Jack told her she would die an "old lady, warm in your bed". She threw the Heart of the Ocean back, a foreshadow of her end, I think.

scarletpeaches
01-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm a total wimp for Field of Dreams when Burt Lancaster walks into the fields...Good God, yes. When he says, "If I'd never gotten to be a doctor? That would have been a tragedy."

seun
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
God, I can't believe so many people have spoiled the end of Titanic. I was going to watch it this weekend, but it's all ruined now.

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
The end of Wall Street, when Michael Douglas had to go to jail.

:D

CrastersBabies
01-06-2012, 08:49 PM
The end of 'Somewhere In Time', where Chris Reeve's character is walking into the light and young Jane Seymour is waiting for him.

MM

Thank you for mentioning this. Yes, Somewhere in Time. (sniffs) I love that movie.

LJD
01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I bawled at the end of The Descendants when they were putting the mom's ashes into the ocean. I cried in other parts of that movie too. It was way to close to home.

Also:Up. The montage of the old guy and his wife.

It is not that uncommon for me to cry in movies, but I rarely remember the scenes...

nighttimer
01-06-2012, 08:58 PM
God, I can't believe so many people have spoiled the end of Titanic. I was going to watch it this weekend, but it's all ruined now.

Spoiled the ending?

The movie is 15 years old, for goodness sake and it's based on a historic event. Who doesn't know by now how Titanic ends?

The ship sinks. Some people live. Some people die. Lights come up. Drive home safely.

seun
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Spoiled the ending?

The movie is 15 years old, for goodness sake and it's based on a historic event. Who doesn't know by now how Titanic ends?

The ship sinks. Some people live. Some people die. Lights come up. Drive home safely.

Perhaps I should have added a :brit to my post.

yellowhammer
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Ha. Sorry we ruined it for you!

dolores haze
01-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Oh and the end of Once Were Warriors had me sobbing for hours when I first saw it.

For me it wasn't the ending, but...

*SPOILER*

Grace's suicide and her mother's discovery of her body. OMG. Shuddering shoulders, streaming tears and a very uncomfortable lump in my throat. That poor child.

crunchyblanket
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Bruce Willis was a ghost all along.

firedrake
01-06-2012, 09:23 PM

*SPOILER*

Grace's suicide and her mother's discovery of her body. OMG. Shuddering shoulders, streaming tears and a very uncomfortable lump in my throat. That poor child.

That is a heartbreaking film. I love it but that scene is just tragic.

kassie
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Adam's Sandler's "Click". When he goes back to the last time he saw his father and when he dies in the rain. I was at the movies when I saw it and it was so embarrassing, I was crying so hard. Still gets me every time I watch it.

Also, Will Smith's "Seven pounds", I don't remember exactly which scenes made me sad but when the credits were rolling I couldn't stop crying for like an hour.

"The Lovely Bones", when her parents are looking for her. Heartbreaking.

lastlittlebird
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM

*SPOILER*

I remember being completely shell shocked for that bit...but there's a part later on when the mother is confronting Jake and she mentions that Grace was only 13.
I was only 14 or 15 myself when I saw it the first time, but I'd assumed Grace was my age or older. For some reason hearing that she was even younger than me really opened the flood gates.
If I watched it now I'd probably be teary eyed from the start of the film.

TerzaRima
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm a total wimp for Field of Dreams when Burt Lancaster walks into the fields

Good God, yes. When he says, "If I'd never gotten to be a doctor? That would have been a tragedy."

Yes. I thought a lot of that movie was kind of silly (ease his pain? wtf?) but that scene always renders me a blithering idiot.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-07-2012, 01:15 AM
'Soldier in the Rain'

'Waterloo Bridge'

'Long Gray Line'

'Phantom of the Opera'

Ken
01-07-2012, 04:11 AM
'Waterloo Bridge'

... great flick!

CChampeau
01-07-2012, 04:50 AM
"Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?"

That quote alone.

You mentioned Grave of the Fireflies. Funny, I hadn't seen it. But being as critically acclaimed as it was, I gave it to my anime-loving BFF as a birthday present. "Most depressing birthday present ever!"

cmi0616
01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
The only movie that has ever made me cry is 2 Days In Paris. The last scene gets me every time. Excellent movie, very underrated.

ChaosTitan
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Mr. Holland's Opus - the final performance gets me Every. Single. Time.

Steel Magnolias - Sally Field's "Why?!?!?!" speech. Guh.

The Green Mile - First Del's execution had me sobbing, and then John Coffey's. That move made me an emotional mess.

Life As A House - The ending, when we see the ex-wife sitting by an empty hospital bed.

A Time to Kill - Jake's summation speech gets me every time, too.

seun
01-07-2012, 06:47 PM
The Green Mile didn't do a lot for me. Mind you, I wasn't a big fan of the book.

ChaosTitan
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
The Green Mile didn't do a lot for me. Mind you, I wasn't a big fan of the book.

I actually read the book after the movie (which I saw 3 times in the theater, despite being three hours long). The way Del's execution was described in the book made me cry even harder than the movie did. And I was on my lunch break when I read it! :p

(just realized my last post was #15,000!)

seun
01-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I actually read the book after the movie (which I saw 3 times in the theater, despite being three hours long). The way Del's execution was described in the book made me cry even harder than the movie did. And I was on my lunch break when I read it! :p

(just realized my last post was #15,000!)

There was a brief passage in one of the books I particularly liked. Might have been after Del's execution when Percy insults his body and Brutal says something along the lines of: "He's paid what he owed. He's square with the house again."

Good line.

telford
01-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Having followed these characters since I was a teen the death of Spock at the end of Wrath of Khan got me by the throat. Not saying anything about the previous heart wrenching posts but that one got me. And, dammit, I know every time that I'm being manipulated but, and I hate to say it, the ending to Sleepless in Seatle. Telford hangs head in shame.

LadyA
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Oh, I've thought of another one - In the Lovely Bones, when Susie's dad is smashing all his ship-bottle thingies, and then later on when all the murdered girls ran to the tree in 'the inbetween', that made me blub like crazy. I got some weird looks in the cinema, I can tell you!

ohthatmomagain
01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I hate to admit this, but I still cry in Armageddon basically from when Bruce Willis beats Ben Affleck up and won't let him get in the elevator to blow up the bomb-- to when he calls Liv Tyler to say his good-byes.

Laineywrites
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I don't cry at the movies. Too much of a world weary, hard bitten New Yorker. Mysterious specks of whatever drop into my eyes and make them water sometimes, but no crying.

But there is one film that made me bawl like I just lost my best friend. It was the final scene of an old flick, from the 70s I think, called "The Champ" with Ricky Schroeder. He couldn't have been more than 10 years old and when he cried at the end of the film when the Champ died all my friends, including the guys, where reaching for tissues. What a performance. Just thinking about it puts a lump in my throat.

Mclesh
01-10-2012, 08:23 AM
I cry at the drop of a hat. After I had my son, when the hormones came flooding in, I was even crying at commercials. (Ridiculous.)

One movie I forgot to mention earlier was E.T. That one gets me every time.

If an animal dies at the end, forget about it.

Iron Giant too. (Geez. What is wrong with me?)

Ed Panther
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I pretty much cry constantly for the entire duration of It's a Wonderful Life. Seriously. Once the talking stars say that he is considering taking his own life tonight, I start and never stop.

The Graduate

Last Tango in Paris

Up

Philadelphia

Forrest Gump

End of godfather part III

I always get angry tears at the end of saving private Ryan when that coward photographer lets his man get stabbed through the chest

End of Paths of Glory.

Gladiator

Kramer vs Kramer

Angry tears during And Justice For All

Angry tears during Straw Dogs

Star Wars episode III

Harold and Maude

Peeping Tom

Click

CChampeau
01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Braveheart. Had to mention it since no one else did. Guess I saw it at 12 or so and I ran into the bathroom crying at the end to take a shower so no one would know, lol. It's enough to give me respect for Mel Gibson. :p

WriteKnight
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
The last scene in what I consider to be the very best 'Man's' love story - Robin and Marion.

spoiler
When she's poisoned him, and he realizes he'll never have 'another day like this' - and Audrey Hepburn as Maid Marion who gave up her life as a nun, is telling Sean Connery as an aged Robin Hood - how much she loves him.

"... I love you more than GOD..."

Ah... yeah, It broke me up when I saw it as a young man. It breaks me up MORE now that I'm older than the characters in the film.

JDM1950
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
The end of "Rudy."

Diana Hignutt
01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I cried at the end of the Perfect Storm--I've known many a fisherman that's gone to Davy Jones' Locker, and it hit me hard.

I cried during that scene with the little girl in Crash.

I cried during the theater scene in Mullholland Drive (and I still don't know why--something very exisitential).

CatrinaMarvi
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
As I remember it is a scene from the movie “Unthinkable” especially the scene ones the terrorist has to decide whether his religion or children then he decides to sacrifice him self due to the situation. Really sad to watch.

Brutal Mustang
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Secondhand Lions gets me every time, when the lion dies.

Misa Buckley
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
But every time I tune in to FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL - if it's playing on TV or something - and if I happen upon John Hannah's eulogy/poem, I burst into tears immediately. There's just something about the way he delivers that poem, and the words in the poem itself. . . oh man, I don't have to have seen any other part of the film, don't have to see it in context, and I'm gone.

This times a thousand. Even thinking about it makes my eyes smart.

The last thing I cried at was Helen and Nikola's parting in Sanctuary for None. So much emotion and I felt ALL THE THINGS and sobbed right through to the last scene with Will.

I fully expect to cry like a baby at the next episode of Sherlock :cry:

Jcomp
01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
The soldiers stopping their firefight in Children Of Men.

An absolutely brilliant moment of cinema, although it gives me goosebumps instead of moving me to tears.

I chills at certain scenes as opposed to crying. Benjamin Button did this to me multiple times. The sequence when his daughter reads the letter he father left for her, and the inevitability of the Benjamin's fate as time catches up to him, and the final "some people" montage work me over every time.

Makeshift Bubbles
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
When Mufasa dies in The Lion King.

Every damn time.

rhymegirl
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
When I need to cry, I rely on some of these scenes from these movies:

Fried Green Tomatoes: The scene where Ruth is dying and Idgie is telling her a story.

Forrest Gump: The scene where Forrest is talking to Jenny at her grave.

While You Were Sleeping: The scene where Lucy is sitting at Peter's bed side in the hospital, talking to him while he's in a coma. She is telling him about her lonely life.

Flicka
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Pan's Labyrinth had me crying several times. Absolutely brilliant movie, but I'm not sure I could take the anguish again so I never rewatched it.

Many years ago I stumbled over Lady Jane Grey with Helena Bonham Carter late one on tv. That final scene at her execution when she's been holding herself together but finally loses it on the scaffold when she can't find where to put her head with her eyes covered? I blubbered like a baby.

Marumae
01-13-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't cry at the movies. Too much of a world weary, hard bitten New Yorker. Mysterious specks of whatever drop into my eyes and make them water sometimes, but no crying.LOL, this! Exactly!

Well...okay...I'm willing to admit to three times in movie (this isn't book history that's a whole other post :D) history that I genuinely cried and one time when I was very nearly crying but held it back. The first, so I have just moved 2,200 something miles away from home (going to college) a few days ago and I finally watched Toy Story 3 before I moved and I was pretty much a sobbing mess that entire movie, which is rare because I'm honestly not a crier in movies, misty eyed? Hell yes, I got misty eyed in the "soldiers stop fighting to see the baby" scene in Children of Men and later, Clive Owen's characters fate (HE'S FINE. NO. REALLY, HE'S FINE, HE JUST PASSED OUT FROM LOSS OF BLOOD).

I'm also one of those people who worries more about the animals sometimes then they do the people in movies, gimme a dog dying and I'm near tears. Probably because I've lost a lot of dogs (all but one from old age) and it brings back memories.

Second, the entirety of the movie "The Grave of the Fireflies", one of the most beautiful and tragic movies ever, my god, I was a mess watching that.

The one time in which I was nearly crying? The opening of UP; with Carl and his wife Ellie, holy freaking crap that movie. I've lived with my Grandmother for most of my life taking care of her so like animals I have a...thing with the Elderly I guess you can call it? I have a hard time watching the elderly suffer like that in anyway, it just gets to me man.

Third, whoever mentioned the movie The Fall, the last 10/20 minutes of that movie, when Lee Pace's character Roy (one of my favorite actors ever, he's so damn good, I get caught up and forget who he is every time I watch something with him in it-- AND I'VE SAT THROUGH SOME CRAP FOR YOU LEE) is telling the little girl the end of the story he's been narrating throughout the entire thing and it's all ending tragically and he's crying and she's crying and I'm crying and...:cry:

Finally, the last few episodes (and last episode especially) of the anime Shoujo Kakumei Utena, it was all surreal (but unified in plot!) story and the ending was a great climax and the scene with Utena reaching down to Anthy, in her coffin-and she's crying and begging her to take her hand, I was like...oh wow I'm getting teary eyed now. Damn you all this post...

Atlantis
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
The scene in a little princess when her father gets his memory back and shouts her name and she runs out of the arms of the cops and over to him.

And recently the rape scene in the US girl with the dragon tattoo.

HarvesterOfSorrow
03-17-2012, 11:24 AM
TITANIC:

- Opening title (I think that this is mainly due to the effective music).
- Rose looks up at Jack as the lifeboat is lowering and Jack looks down at her with the emergency flare going off behind him.
- Jack runs after Rose after Rose leaps off of the lifeboat and back onto Titanic.
- Jack and Rose in the ocean--Jack saying to Rose that she must do him "this honour".
- The very end when we see Rose in her bed. The camera pans over all of her accomplishments, then over to her, and then we see the Titanic wreckage, which morphs into the ship as she was in 1912, and Rose meets Jack again (and for argument's sake: I think Rose died at the end of the film).

Actually, most of Titanic had me in tears lol. It's my second-favourite film of all time and it still gets me.

FORREST GUMP:

- Forrest talks to Mama before she dies, followed by Forrest's voice over: "You died on a Tuesday..."
- Forrest Gump realizes he's a father.
- Jenny asks Forrest to marry her.
- Forrest cries at Jenny's grave.

THE LOVELY BONES:

- Suzie Salmon screams as she realizes she was murdered by Mr. Harvey.
- Jack and Abigail cry in bed when they find out that Suzie has been murdered.
- Jack realizes Mr. Harvey is the murderer.
- Suzie arrives at her Heaven and "Song To The Siren" begins playing.
- Suzie kisses Ray.

STAND BY ME:

- Chris Chambers cries over the milk money
- Gordie LeChance cries because of Denny
-The boys walk away from each other when they return back to town and Chris disappears once it is mentioned that he's been murdered.

CHASING AMY:

- Holden tells Alyssa that he loves her.

THE GREEN MILE:

- Hal tells Paul that Melinda is sick.
- Hal tells Paul that Melinda has a tumor and that she will die.
- John Coffey heals Melinda.
- John Coffey is executed.
- Percy steps on Mr. Jingles and Delecois screams.

BOOGIE NIGHTS:

- Eddie/ Dirk tells Jack that he's sorry.

ROCKY:

- The end of the Rocky/Apollo fight and Rocky screams for Adrian

ROCKY II:

- Rocky: "There's just one thing I gotta say: ...YO, ADRIAN, I DID IT!!!"

ROCKY BALBOA:

- Rocky tells Paulie about the "stuff in the basement".

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY

- The Terminator and John Connor or talking while the Terminator is repairing the car and they see the two kids fighting with guns and John says, 'We're not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean."
- The Terminator is lowered into the steel and raises his thumb to John. John cries on Sarah's shoulder.

So, I guess what I'm saying is: I'm a big softie lol.

J.S.F.
03-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Toy Story 3, where they're just about to fall into the pit and while I knew they'd be rescued, the expressions on their faces made me think they were real. That's what great voice acting and music combined together will do.

Brian's Song, where James Caan in lying in bed and in the next scene, Billy Dee Williams hears his best friend has passed away.

Bang the Drum Slowly, where Robert DeNiro plays a slightly dim-witted catcher. Great acting.

Grave of the Fireflies (Hotaru no Haka). Gets me every time.

Shane, final scene. "Shane, come back!" Old fashioned, yes, but very effective.

UP, first ten minutes.

Godzilla's meltdown in Godzilla vs, Destroyer. Very melancholy music.

Lots of others but those are the standouts.

Tinman
05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
The scene at the end of Braveheart where Sir Bruce says, "You've bled with Wallace... now bleed with me." Maybe I'm warped or something lol.

dclary
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
I cry at movies a lot. I'm very sentimental. The emotional climax of Field of Dreams still gets me every time I watch it.

The most visceral reaction I ever had in a film was Saving Private Ryan. I was weeping at the end, and was so emotionally shellshocked that I broke down and started weeping again in the bathroom afterward. That's the only time I can remember having an emotional aftershock to a film.

LongWave
05-22-2012, 11:27 PM
The end of Braveheart got me, but I think it was the score that made it so emotional.

gothicangel
05-22-2012, 11:31 PM
I recently saw a documentary called Being Elmo, about Kevin Clash who puppeteers Elmo. There is a scene of a little girl who was dying of cancer, and it was her dream to meet Elmo.

I hardly cry at films, but I blubbed at that one.

Shadow_Ferret
05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
The ending of It's a Wonderful Life.

Spoiler:

The ending of Son of Kong where the island is sinking and Little Kong's foot is caught yet he holds the guy up out of the water until he's rescued by a rowboat. Gets me every time. *sniff!*

AnnikaHTDC
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Third, whoever mentioned the movie The Fall, the last 10/20 minutes of that movie, when Lee Pace's character Roy (one of my favorite actors ever, he's so damn good, I get caught up and forget who he is every time I watch something with him in it-- AND I'VE SAT THROUGH SOME CRAP FOR YOU LEE) is telling the little girl the end of the story he's been narrating throughout the entire thing and it's all ending tragically and he's crying and she's crying and I'm crying and...:cry:

I loved The Fall. Tarsem Singh is an incredible visual director, even though most of his stuff is lacking in other areas.

And Lee Pace has the greatest eyebrows in the world.

The last scene that really made me cry was in Melancholia, when Kirsten Dunst is eating the meatloaf and breaks down because it tastes like ashes. Her performance is such a brutally vivid portrayal of depression and it really got under my skin.

Snowball2695
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM

I am so glad I'm not the only one who cried during that movie!
Also, the new Muppets movie. I grew up watching the Muppets, and I started bawling when Kermit started singing Rainbow Connection.

Wow. I'm a pansy, aren't I?

Richard Alan Phipps
05-24-2012, 05:14 AM
When Mufasa dies in The Lion King.

Every damn time.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title!

Chazevelt
05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
I don't much cry over any movie, and although I can't bring one to mind, I guess there have been a few scenes- here and there- that made my throat tighten. People just don't move me.
But let a herd of horses gallop across the screen and I can't see the last one for the tears flowing. A single shot of a single horse will layer the goose bumps across my skin and darn near dehydrate me. I have to have a fist full of tissues to watch the Kentucky Derby.

angeliz2k
05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm not super emotional about movies/TV. Usually, I attribute that to one, being a writer and knowing it's all not real, and two, growing up with a too-bad-so-sad kind of mentality.

In reality, I'm only sensitive to things that are close to me.

But even insensitive me teared up a little at the beginning of Up. Usually, Mufasa's death gets me, too.

The one that really hurts my heart every time, though, is a documentary about gymnastics when they talk about Elena Mukhina, who was paralyzed from the chest down right before the 1980 Olympics. It's an exceptionally tragic story.

Fuchsia
05-27-2012, 04:41 AM
This:

Dr. Sayer: You told him I was a kind man. How kind is it to give life, only to take it away?
Eleanor: It's given to and taken away from all of us.
Dr. Sayer: Why does that not comfort me?
Eleanor: Because you are a kind man.

--Awakenings

(Also, the Vincent van Gogh episode of Doctor Who.)

ShadowyEclipse
05-28-2012, 10:49 AM
.... I'm just going to get it out there.
Marley & Me.

Red Tails, though I didn't cry at this one; when the Italian woman was told at the end that her husband was not coming home, kinda ruined my day.

Top Gun; Where Goose gets killed. Got misty-eyed on that one.

Letters from Iwo Jima, When the Protaganist was fighting off the American soldiers at the end with a shovel, and then he got captured(?) A sort of surprise moment for me is when the two soldiers executed the Japanese prisoners.

Ip Man, when Man was shot at the end.

And tons of other movies that have made me bawl my eyes out and lose my masculinity, one horrid death at a time.

Oh wait, I cried so hard when Rue died in the Hunger Games movie, not because the movie was good, because they So did not do Rue justice, at all in that movie!

jr0127
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
LOL, this! Exactly!

Well...okay...I'm willing to admit to three times in movie (this isn't book history that's a whole other post :D) history that I genuinely cried and one time when I was very nearly crying but held it back. The first, so I have just moved 2,200 something miles away from home (going to college) a few days ago and I finally watched Toy Story 3 before I moved and I was pretty much a sobbing mess that entire movie, which is rare because I'm honestly not a crier in movies, misty eyed? Hell yes, I got misty eyed in the "soldiers stop fighting to see the baby" scene in Children of Men and later, Clive Owen's characters fate (HE'S FINE. NO. REALLY, HE'S FINE, HE JUST PASSED OUT FROM LOSS OF BLOOD).

I'm also one of those people who worries more about the animals sometimes then they do the people in movies, gimme a dog dying and I'm near tears. Probably because I've lost a lot of dogs (all but one from old age) and it brings back memories.

Second, the entirety of the movie "The Grave of the Fireflies", one of the most beautiful and tragic movies ever, my god, I was a mess watching that.

The one time in which I was nearly crying? The opening of UP; with Carl and his wife Ellie, holy freaking crap that movie. I've lived with my Grandmother for most of my life taking care of her so like animals I have a...thing with the Elderly I guess you can call it? I have a hard time watching the elderly suffer like that in anyway, it just gets to me man.

Finally, the last few episodes (and last episode especially) of the anime Shoujo Kakumei Utena, it was all surreal (but unified in plot!) story and the ending was a great climax and the scene with Utena reaching down to Anthy, in her coffin-and she's crying and begging her to take her hand, I was like...oh wow I'm getting teary eyed now. Damn you all this post...

Great great taste in movies! Grave of The Fireflies ruined me. Such an amazing film and a totally different perspective on the war. The worst part is when Setsuko offers Seita the fruit drops that are rocks and rice balls made out of dirt...that gets me every time.

Calla Lily
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I just watched Children of Men. Yep... when they're walking out with the baby and every single soldier stops fighting as soon as they hear the baby cry. I blubbered.

elindsen
06-13-2012, 05:41 AM
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Bambi. When his mother...

Kills me twenty years later.

Gravity
06-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Dumbo, when he finds his mother locked in the circus wagon, and their trunks intertwine as she silently tells him goodbye ... gets me every time. Yes, I'm a sap.

Beautiful_Liar
06-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Only a handful have made me full on cry my eyes out. Kinda common probably but the end of Schindler's List. OMG. I did not expect to cry so hard when Oskar did his, I could have saved one more speech.

Pinguicha
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Lots of movies made me cry and I have no shame to admit it.

When I was six (I believe) and watching the Lion King, I cried when Mufasa died. According to my mother, I must have seen the movie around seven times in the cinema and I cried every time it happened. Those were my first tears over a movie. Afterwards...

The Notebook (I hate Nicholas Sparks' books, but they make terrific sappy movies). Tangled (my boyfriend mocked me for days). Bambi. Toy Story 3. Wall-E. Grave of the Fireflies. Atonement.

Oddly enough, it's mostly children's movies that make me turn the waterworks on. Nothing tugs at your heartstrings quite like children's movies.

third person
06-19-2012, 04:48 AM
That scene in Amelie when the titular character helps a blind man across the street, then proceeds to explain things around him so he can visualize them, taking care to note things that might have drastically changed since his youth.

Here it is on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZqT9kA1bcVQ#t=21s)

Mclesh
06-19-2012, 04:50 AM
I cry at the littlest things, so many movies make me cry, but the scene that gets me every time is when Elliott thinks E.T. has died. And then again, when E.T. goes home.

Where's my hanky?

TerzaRima
06-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Jesus, Gravity, you had to bring that up. Dumbo has always made me want to turn on the gas.

Aggy B.
06-19-2012, 05:26 AM
The scene in Big Fish where the son finishes his father's story. That makes me cry. Every. F*cking. Time.

Gravity
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Jesus, Gravity, you had to bring that up. Dumbo has always made me want to turn on the gas.

I live to serve! :D

Alpha Echo
06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Just thought of another.

The movie My Girl - the scene at the boy's funeral. It's an open casket, and he's not wearing his glasses. And Vita comes running up to his casket, crying and sobbing and saying that he needs his glasses! He can't see without his glasses!

OMG, I'm getting teary just thinking about it.

Esper
06-22-2012, 07:10 AM
I shed a tear when Mariah's boyfriend got shot in Glitter.
Yes, I know. I was ashamed of myself.

Despite the corny romance in Pearl Harbor, I cried during the bomb drops. Growing up, I got dragged to the Arizona War Memorial whenever relatives would visit us and that rusted smoke stack sticking out of the water still haunts my mind to this day.

pandaponies
06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
A lot of movies have made me cry, but the only one that gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME is the 1994 live action Black Beauty (with the mind-blowingly amazing score by Danny Elfman) when adult Joe finds Beauty at the end, pushes his forelock over, sees his star and starts crying. omg, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

eyeblink
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Several scenes in The Elephant Man, a film I've seen about ten times now. Two examples: the scene where Treves takes Merrick home to meet Mrs Treves, and the "I am not an animal" scene later on.

seun
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
"You take care of me, Simon. You've always taken care of me. My turn."

Calla Lily
06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
^Seun, please tell me what movie this is so I can avoid it forever. :tongue

seun
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Serenity. It precedes one of the all time greatest arse kickings in film history.

Calla Lily
06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh. I've heard good things about Serenity.

Damn. I might have to watch it.

seun
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
These lines from the film Glory:

John Rawlins (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000151/): "And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN!"

Trip (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000243/): "I ain't much about no prayin', now. I ain't never had no family, and... killed off my mama. Well, I just... Y'all's the onliest family I got. I love the 54th. Ain't even much a matter what happens tomorrow, 'cause we men, ain't we?"

Colonel Robert G. Shaw (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000111/): [points at the flag-bearer] If this man should fall, who will lift the flag and carry on?
[Thomas steps forward]
Cpl. Thomas Searles (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0105672/): I will.
Colonel Robert G. Shaw (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000111/): I'll see you in the fort, Thomas.

Wind Ann Wise
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
There are lots of movies that make me cry, but the one that never fails to every time, is
Mufasa's death in the Lion King.

Chrissy
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Ray - where Ray's little brother drowns in the bucket. When I saw that I bawled, screamed at the television, and cursed the producers and God and everyone. (The little boy was same age and looked a lot like my son at the time. Also I think I might have been off my medication. :D)

Ray again, when Ray is going blind, and trips and falls, and his mother doesn't help him even though she is right there, because he's got to learn to be self-sufficient -- and then a good cry when he hears and catches the cricket.

Secretariat when Big Red is winning the Kentucky Derby (the part in slow motion, when Diane Lane does that killer quote that starts out: He laughs at fear....).

Titantic when the mother in second class tucks her child into bed while the ship is going down. Another wanted-to-slit-my-wrists moment.

Titantic again, when Rose blows the whistle. Good cry.

Titantic AGAIN, every time a Celine song starts. :D

J.S.F.
07-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Chrissy, you would have to mention Titanic! (Cue vomit noises here:D). Sorry, every time I hear the ending song it makes me want to carve my eyes with a rusty spoon.

The Iron Giant where the robot goes up to head off the missile. Music just gets me every time. That scene, along with the end when you see the bodyparts reassembling themselves. Good music will make a so-so movie better, and great music will make a solid flick even more entertaining. This movie did it right.

Raventongue
07-01-2012, 06:08 AM
I cry at the drop of a hat, but the ending of Regeneration made me bawl when I first saw it. It would probably still make me bawl today if I watched it right now.

The ending of trilogy it's adapted from (well, the movie's really the first book with the ending of the third gracefully meshed into the end) is kind of designed not to make you cry, even though it's common knowledge that two characters you very likely love by this time don't make it. But the movie was like, "F*** YOUR TEAR DUCTS, I DRAIN THEM DRY!" three times over, and only one is those deaths. The other two, from the first book... Dang.

Chrissy
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Chrissy, you would have to mention Titanic! (Cue vomit noises here:D). Sorry, every time I hear the ending song it makes me want to carve my eyes with a rusty spoon.
Sorry! I totally get why it annoys some people. I try to psyche myself out NOT to cry, but all I have to do is think of ONE person I love (my mom, my dad, my kid, my ex, my dog) whenever Celine starts singing anything and I'm a goner. Sappy! :D

OneTeam OneDream
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Not a movie, but one of the final two scenes of Entourage when Ari decides he wants his wife back and plays the opera in the office and then the scene when he gets her back.

I cried, then realized that my marriage was 100% over and would never be again.

Lora Palmer
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
The scene in Father of the Bride when Annie and her dad play basketball always seems to get me for some reason. Oh, and What Dreams May Come has any number of tearjerker scenes...

abbie in wonderland
07-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Ill admit there are a lot of movies that make me tear up but nothing makes me cry as much as Big Fish. When he is walking into the water, saying goodbye to everyone...goodness I just cry like a little girl.

L. Y.
07-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Where the Red Fern Grows, when I was a kid. I was totally embarrassed about the tears when I watched it with my mom and dad.

Other than that, any movie with sappy father-daughter scenes. If my daughter decides to get married, I'm probably going to embarrass her and tear up at her wedding....:e2cry:

Brightdreamer
07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
The first theater film I remember ever tearing up in was Edward Scissorhands (the ending.)

The first one I remember ever crying over was a movie I saw on VHS as a kid: Silver Bell, an animated story of a young ewe whose mother is killed by a wolf. He leaves the flock to avenge her, the wolf takes him on as his apprentice, until the day comes when they make a raid on the sheep... Man, talk about a downer of an ending! (TBH, to this day I don't remember if that was the for-real ending or that was the we-just-can't-take-this-thing-anymore ending...)

Been a few others, but those two are the ones that stand out.

(Oh, yeah - and if anyone saw The Neverending Story and DIDN'T cry over Artax... and the last monologue of the Rock Biter as he waited for the Nothing... you ain't human!)

Wayward Daughter
07-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I can't ever get through the last twenty or so minutes of Dead Man Walking without blinking back tears. Brokeback Mountain, The Green Mile, and The Patriot are also known to evoke tears.

maxmordon
07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
This Barry Levinson movie, Avalon. The ending with the grandfather, now senile, spending thanksgiving alone in the nursing home repeating to his now adult grandson the same story he told him over two decades ago on thanksgiving surrounded by friends and relatives.

mkeyth
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Trinity death in Matrix Revolutions
Gandalf's fall in LOTR
The end of Seven pounds

hadou
07-18-2012, 04:13 AM
At the end of the movie Gladiator, and also at the end of the movie 300 when Leonidas talks about his wife: "My queen...my wife...my love"

mellymel
07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
The Patriot- the scene when the little girl who refused to talk to her dad, starts crying and begging her dad not to go and promises to say anything he wants as long as he doesn't leave again. GETS. ME. EVERY. TIME.

LOTR: omg. TOO MANY SCENES TO COUNT. Srsly, I never cried as much as I did in The Return of the King (even worse in the extended version). Cannot get through that movie without shedding tears (and I've seen the movie like 30 times!)

Pay it Forward

The Lion King-When Simba dies.

The Little Mermaid-When Ariel says goodbye to her father (King Triton).

Poltergeist-when the old lady is telling the mother what to expect and when she finally hears her daughter's voice through the t.v. (I'm weird)

Armageddon-when Harry tricks A.J. and decides to be the one to detonate the bomb and A.J. is crying and begging Harry not to go and screaming that it's his job to do it and Harry says his job now is to take of his little girl. OMG EFFING TEAR JERKER.

Powder--very sad movie :(

What Dreams May Come

E.T.

pandoricaopens
07-19-2012, 05:57 AM
I don't usually cry at movies (which is strange because tbh, I cray at everything else), but the end of Meet the Robinsons just really gets me for some reason It's not even sad!

heatherleacubs
07-21-2012, 01:33 AM
When I was about 7, my parents took me to see "Terms of Endearment". I've just stopped crying about that one. :)

There's a scene in "A League of Their Own" that gets me every time - when Betty Spaghetti learns her husband has been killed.

And many others. My tear ducts are overactive. :)

miss marisa
07-23-2012, 05:02 AM
50/50, when JGL's character goes into surgery, there is no way I cannot cry. No matter how many times I watch it.

sarahdalton
07-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Pretty much all of The Lives of Others - but in particular the end scene when he sees the book dedication. Blubbed like a baby. My boyfriend came home and thought someone had died!

Iggy58
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
End of "To Kill A Mockingbird", every time.

phantom000
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
First time was Charlotte's web when she died. Wasn't till the four time i could watch it all the way through.

I think that was about the only time i really cried over a movie.

A few that came dangerously close.

Up when the old lady dies.

Jesse's song in Toy Story 2

When Nemo's mom dies in Finding Nemo.

Ariel singing about her mother in The Little Mermaid 3. If you haven't seen it yet check it out, just once. It's sad that Disney stopped making video sequals just as they seemed to figure out how to make them work.

Lisa-Marie
08-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I want to put Seven Pounds on this list first because I watched it just under a week ago for the first time and can safely say I'll not be watching it ever again.

A vast majority of animated movies always have me crying. To name a few; The Lion King, Lady & The Tramp, The Fox & The Hound, Bambi, The Land Before Time, Dumbo, Oliver & Company and Watership Down.

American History X is another that tears me apart at the very end.

Others:

The Brave
A Walk To Remember
Pay It Forward
Dead Poets Society
What Dreams May Come
Meet Joe Black
Fluke :cry: :cry: :cry:
I Am Sam
Anna & The King
The Neverending Story
Wuthering Heights
Order Of The Phoenix
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:31 AM
The only pieces of media that ever made me cry are these:

1. The Lord of the Rings (I was a lot younger)

2. Malcolm in the Middle (That was my wanna be childhood, and it all ended right before my eyes!)

druid12000
09-15-2012, 04:06 AM
I want to put Seven Pounds on this list first because I watched it just under a week ago for the first time and can safely say I'll not be watching it ever again.

A vast majority of animated movies always have me crying. To name a few; The Lion King, Lady & The Tramp, The Fox & The Hound, Bambi, The Land Before Time, Dumbo, Oliver & Company and Watership Down.

American History X is another that tears me apart at the very end.

Others:

The Brave
A Walk To Remember
Pay It Forward
Dead Poets Society
What Dreams May Come
Meet Joe Black
Fluke :cry: :cry: :cry:
I Am Sam
Anna & The King
The Neverending Story
Wuthering Heights
Order Of The Phoenix
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

I can't imagine not being an emotional wreck at the end of that movie. Only saw it once because it hit me so hard.

HeavilyMedicated
09-15-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm going to be predictable and say the beginning of Up.

Boys Don't Cry killed me.

There's a bunch of movies I can't watch now because I get teary eyed.

I'm worse with TV shows, though. Buffy and BSG being the worst of them.

Ugh, The Body. :(

I've cried at lots of scenes in Doctor Who. ("Everybody lives!" from "The Doctor Dances" is an example.)

TorontoGirl
09-19-2012, 07:03 AM
The ending to The Color Purple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRSla1RaEiM&feature=related). When the two sisters see each other after so long. I cry every time.

Ed Panther
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
What's Eating Gilbert Grape. When Depp hugged DiCaprio after hitting him, it really touched me. That movie was amazing.

Since someone above mentioned Malcolm in the Middle,

I cried in the last episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-air when Will danced to Tom Jones with Carlton.

Hell, fresh prince of bel-air has made me cry a LOT.

Timmy V.
09-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Ordinary People

When Timothy Hutton is talking to his therapist about his suicide attempt and how selfish he was and how his mother had so much blood she had to clean up and he realizes then that it's his mother who was the bad one.

I was sobbing.

My own older brother had died the year before so maybe that fed into it.

And like someone just said the ending of Color Purple when she's screaming across the field "Nellie!!!!" oh boy oh boy.

And Brokeback Mountain during the "I wish I could quit you" scene. As a gay man watching the movie, that scene destroyed me wow.

Ayliea
09-25-2012, 03:49 AM
Wow, so many movies, so many tears. I cry at the drop of a hat in movies so it's probably better to ask me which sad movies I don't cry at.

However, a few of my favorites that I do always cry at:

The Matrix Revisited - when Trinity dies
Hachi: A Dog's Tale - yeah I cry at animal movies...
I Am Legend - when his dog dies (of course!)
The Road - just because
The Green Mile - I have only watched that movie once, and I own it. I just can't watch it again.

There are lots more, but those are the ones that stand out.

tmb815
09-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm not the type to cry in movies, but there are two that get me every time: The Shawshank Redemption and Toy Story 3. Just thinking about those scenes is getting me a little misty...

Cybernaught
09-25-2012, 07:59 AM
When I was eight my Dad told me to watch Old Yeller. Let's just say that I was not too happy with him after the ending.

When I was much older? Forrest Gump, definitely, when he's talking to Jenny's grave.

HSC456
10-06-2012, 09:16 PM
The Notebook! I still cry pretty much the whole way through

aruna
10-06-2012, 09:21 PM
The first film I cried at was Old Yeller. I must have been about 6. Now I'm 61, and I still remember it!

Others that made me cry:

Dead Poets Society
Children of a Lesser God
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Notebook
Gandhi
Hotel Ruanda
Shawshank Redemption

and lots of others. I cry very easily!

aruna
10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
When I was eight my Dad told me to watch Old Yeller. Let's just say that I was not too happy with him after the ending.

Exactly this. I think Old Yeller wins the prize. It was the very first movie I thought of.

ElsieTanner
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
The very last scene in Schindler's List - the one where the stones are being piled up. Massive, shaking sobs. I had to sit in the cinema for ten minutes to pull myself together.

Also My Girl. Pretty embarassed about that one.

lcwrite
12-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm glad I see a lot of Toy Story and Up! scenes in here. For me it would be when Sully has to take Boo back home and destroy the closet door in Monster's Inc but that, along with Kelly's Heroes, is my favorite movie.

druid12000
12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
The very last scene in Schindler's List - the one where the stones are being piled up. Massive, shaking sobs. I had to sit in the cinema for ten minutes to pull myself together.

Also My Girl. Pretty embarassed about that one.

Yeah, I can't even think about it without tearing up, but I was a wreck when I saw it. Anyone who wasn't needs a soul transplant.

blacbird
12-02-2012, 09:17 AM
The unveiling of Boo Radley (Robert Duvall) standing in the shadow behind the door at the end of To Kill a Mockingbird.

caw

Beatlemaniac
12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
The closing scene in "The Family Stone" always brings a tear to my eye.

mellymel
12-02-2012, 10:45 AM
oops, already answered this thread. DERP!

Bloo
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm such a crybaby at movies, I've cried at everything from Bambi to Armageddon. I'm a huge softie

Myrealana
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
The funeral scene in "Steel Magnolias" when M'lynn is ranting about strength...

My husband and I both sobbed like babies.

SJNew
12-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Too many to mention! Pretty much any Disney movie, almost all of them have at least one heartstring-tugging moment.

The Notebook pretty much left me in little soggy bits the first time I watched it. I still cry at it now, but that first time...no one warned me that it was a tearjerker film so I was totally unprepared for the sadness that was the ending.

My Neighbor Totoro also makes me cry and I don't even know why. I mean, they're animated characters, but their fear and distress when their mother can't come home from hospital and they start fearing the worst feels to real to me that I break down every time I watch it.

Panzypanz
12-09-2012, 07:30 AM
The scene where Annie tells Alvy she doesn't want to be with him anymore in Annie Hall. It doesn't make me cry but it makes me very sad.

NewKidOldKid
12-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I can't even think about it without tearing up, but I was a wreck when I saw it. Anyone who wasn't needs a soul transplant.

Yeah, this one for me too.

Darren Frey
12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
The scene in Braveheart where the girl gives young William Wallace the flower.

Calliea
12-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Something in Moulin Rouge, I can't remember what it was, because I was too busy wallowing and wailing to heavens while trying hard not to choke on my tears...

I will NEVER touch that wonderful movie again. NEVER.