Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
More books are being printed in our era than ever; more people with ideas worth expressing are able to express them. On top of this, the internet has made it easier to access and share writing than ever before. Literacy rates for the last two or three decades are significantly higher than in eras prior, and even language barriers are crumbling; if a text exists in a language you can't read, and you want to read it, the internet is bubbling over with programs, videos, and books that exist expressly to make people multilingual.

There are so many books worth my time that my reading list has become a part of my bucket list; barring a breakthrough in medical science, I will die before I have read every book that has been suggested to me. And even if I only manage to read half of them, I'll have tasted the viewpoints of more than 10,000 individuals.

The total number of books in the world towers somewhere over the 100,000,000 (100 million!) mark, and if you can read this post, you realistically have access to most of them. You will never be without something to read.

Be happy, and may the new year blow your mind.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to have a positive spin on contemporary writing for once.

Last I heard we were destroying the foundations of literature, brick-by-brick.

Nice thread!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But I thought all good literature was dead?

Oh well.

I'll just have to kill it again! *keeps writing*

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many books worth my time that my reading list has become a part of my bucket list; barring a breakthrough in medical science, I will die before I have read every book that has been suggested to me.

I heard they, you know, like made an App that plugs into your gravestone and can talk every book ever written within earshot of your decomposing corpse for the rest of time.

My mother's, sister's, Bridge partner's landlord said they were marketing it as a proof of eternal hell or heaven depending on what parameters you set for it.

He didn't say if it's compatible with cremations. :)

Reaction score
Every so often I read a book that, on finishing, makes me sigh and say, "I wish I'd written that."

Reaction score
Maybe they shouldn't, but the point of the thread is to celebrate the gems which are published, and deservedly so.

Hark at me being all optimistic.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper, but not all books should be published...

Can't have the good without the bad. :)

Stop resisting the rhythm...because it is going to get you.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
NO! No, don't turn this wonderful, optimistic thread into an earworm!

**runs away screaming**

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
And I thought we were degrading literature?

*ducks*

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the pantimus majorus area is happy, so am I.

Even the books that don't "deserve" publication (despite the mind-numbing effort that goes into writing a book and finding a publication venue--even with zero editing and Lulu, this is a lot of work) can be infinitely instructive about what modern audiences don't want to read, and a good record of bad ideas, confusing writing, or cliched ideas.

There was an era where a bad book was one of only two or three choices, and something to read, regardless of how bad it was. (And in all likelihood, you would have already read them before.)

Yes, there are bad and even terrible books out there; oceans need sharks and coral both.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Not to be a party pooper, but not all books should be published...

Not all these published books are accessible to the masses either. Not everyone has, or can even afford, a computer or eReader. Or the Internet. So really, since paper publishing is declining, less writing is available to the poor or the computer illiterate.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Not all these published books are accessible to the masses either. Not everyone has, or can even afford, a computer or eReader. Or the Internet. So really, since paper publishing is declining, less writing is available to the poor or the computer illiterate.

Define paper publishing.

Then prove that it's in declension.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Um. Paper. A product of trees. The wood is pulped and made into paper upon which the book is then printed. And I have no proof, only observation. Borders is gone. Waldens is gone. B dalton is gone. Many of our local independents are gone. Department stores no longer carry books.

To me the golden age of publishing was in the 30s and 40s when thousands of cheaply made magazines were on sale every month priced so nearly everyone could afford them, accessible to anyone who could get to the grocery store, drug store, or corner news stand.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys think online zines are the Little Magazines of our days? Certainly they don't have the same power of movement, but is it a similar philosophy?

Deleted member 42

Do you guys think online zines are the Little Magazines of our days? Certainly they don't have the same power of movement, but is it a similar philosophy?

I think blogs are like the pamphlets of the seventeenth - early nineteenth centuries.

I think Web zines are like the printed "literary reviews" or "little magazines." Certainly in the case of SF/F, and increasing number of the major award-winning short stories and novellas were published online first.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys think online zines are the Little Magazines of our days?

I've 'seen' them but I've never read a complete one, nor have I ever read a whole blog. Each of these 'appears' to me to be about as meaningful as graffiti: One person's random scrawls in the dark...

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Um. Paper. A product of trees. The wood is pulped and made into paper upon which the book is then printed. And I have no proof, only observation. Borders is gone. Waldens is gone. B dalton is gone. Many of our local independents are gone. Department stores no longer carry books.

To me the golden age of publishing was in the 30s and 40s when thousands of cheaply made magazines were on sale every month priced so nearly everyone could afford them, accessible to anyone who could get to the grocery store, drug store, or corner news stand.

I've been missing Borders with all my heart. <\3 Used to be my favorite place.

But I will say I continue to support my hard copies of my books, and as long as libraries exist, and they carry books/the Internet, anyone can still read stuff that's being published. It's just less likely you'll own a physical copy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.