response to my orig lit post

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
To the mods:
I'm not trying to start a fire, I just saw the thread was locked. I only got to p 2 and wanted to respond to some so they didn't think I was curled up in a corner drooling while sucking my thumb.

To the others:
I graduated college in the '70's. I've read alot and have been writing for 30+ years and am good at it. Whether to make you laugh, cry, or get you off I've received more praise than not on my writing and just so you know, my blog is not representative of my fiction.

In college I majored in psych and law and wrote poetry and fiction to escape my then-life. I appreciate all your knowledge and responses and want you to know that I am trying to catch up on what I've missed in literature academia, if you will. If you disagree with my words fine, but don't insult me or my now wonderful life and I won't insult yours.

I will go back and read what I missed.

You know, when you post something about "literature being degraded" in a writers' forum with over 35K members all over the world, you might anticipate hearing something that isn't the response you were angling for.

Really? You mean my daft post won’t gain me any more followers? Sigh…

Your initial post was . . . daft is about the kindest thing I can say.

Kind? Do any of the words in your following paragraph represent your ideas in any way?

It reveals an appalling set of assumptions that all rest upon entitlement, arrogance, and a combination of ignorance and naiveté.

Your opinion. You’re entitled. I would think you with your vocabulary you should be able to get your point across without personal attacks.

I can see you've given this a great deal of thought.

But you need to read a hell of a lot more.

Yes, I do. But I’m not going to chew my nails off to read Milton or spend time deciphering other languages because that’s how you think it works. There are other ways.

First, your trite little reference to the "degradation of literature" suggests that you're completely unaware that you are echoing a cliché that's thousands of years old.

And you need to learn that your pov may be glean more respect if you stuck to the subject and not the person. Again.
QUOTE]

Also, you need to consider that there are only a FEW books from any given era, and that we still study and read and enjoy stories from the classical era. When you look at the Victorian era, those books weren't written that long ago, as far as history goes. Only a hundred years? Pshaw--that's nothing. Read some Juvenal or Chaucer--now THOSE guys were storytellers.

That being said, literature, like any other artform, grows and develops and changes with society and the times. A hundred years from now, somebody on the mindspeak networking applications will ask the same question, and will receive approximately the same sorts of answers--

--and hopefully will know enough to be more temperate in their response to those answers. Part of having a successful conversation is the ability to listen to differing views without being defensive--a skill that any writer really needs to develop before heading out into the mean nasty world of publishing. Just sayin'.

I welcome differing views as long as they don’t attack me. This wasn’t about us, it was about lit.

I don't know Amadan personally and he sometimes posts crap that make me want to tear my own arm off just so I've got something to throw at him but I feel pretty confident in saying this:

Yes. Yes, Amadan would say that to your face.

Thanks for the heads up.

Additionally, often what stands the test of time is not what the people at the time would have expected.

Give the kid a little break. Most writers and readers must think this at one point or another before they learn better.

It's just... Well, god help the ones that learn better by posting it on AW.

I’m probably old enough to be a young grandmother to some of you, and again, personal.

I do believe we are degrading literature. It is a trend started by Shakespeare, continued with Voltaire and then Dickens and passed down to us as an honored tradition.

Keep up the good work.

Not sure if this is sarcasm but if not, thanks. Just trying to think things through.
It's mostly said for effect, which is a problem; that means a writer has completely missed his or her audience.

It's not promising.

In terms of textual "tells" it's right up there with "I'm a writer, not a reader. "

You really are into assumptions. And that’s the last personal attack I’m giving.

Ah, but I'm going to give the Butterfly points for her sig :
I think that's adorable. I'm going to make it my 2012 screensaver.

Not sure that fuck and adorable belong together, but it works for me!

What makes this list of "100 best novels" in any way definitive? Don't get me wrong, I personally consider many books on the list great. But what is the criteria of "greatness" that we're using here?

Three Men in a Boat is one of the most hilarious novels I've ever read. Same thing with Voltaire's Candide. If my criteria for greatness were how humorous I found a book, those two would definitely be in any "best novels" list I composed. It isn't clear what criteria are being used to compile and order the books.

Another problem with taking these sorts of lists seriously is that if you really think about ranking books by assigning to them numerical values, by which you mean to say of a given book that it is (in the case of, say, Grapes of Wrath) just barely better than one (Under The Volcano) but not quite as good as another (Sons and Lovers), I think you'll find the idea really rather absurd.

I do.

Lastly, let's pick out a specific book on the list. Take Animal Farm. I like Animal Farm. But if I had to make a "best of" list, I'd rank tons of recently written novels above it. Animal farm (IMO) has very little subtlety, the characters aren't particularly interesting--the best thing about it is the premise. Again, what is the criteria on the basis of which Animal Farm is included but other books (both recent and not) are excluded?

Well said! Just for comparison to some of the above – see? Points can be made on subject only.

Early Shakespeare wasn't exactly classic literature back in his day, was he? And Dickens was a serial writer.

Who knows, Nora Roberts and RL Stine might be classic literature in the future. I like the latter, and I've never read the former. I think it's highly unlikely, but there's a slight possibility.

@MrAnonymous: I loved Animal Farm when I was eight, but I read it again my freshman year in high school and, sadly, most of the charm was gone.

The best of lists are rather subjective. One person will say Jhumpa Lahiri is the best writer ever. Others will say she's too heavy handed and doesn't branch out enough. One person will say Haruki Murakami is creative and trippy. Someone else will say he should stop dropping acid and write a real story. As for the opinions on Cormac McCarthy? I've had people tell me he's the most overrated writer ever and others swear by him as the best American novelist.

Another good post.

What any of the many '100 best books evah' lists are good for is widening one's experience of literature, especially someone who hasn't yet read very widely.

What they aren't good for is making judgments about current literature. After all, as has been pointed out several times upstream, they only contain books considered to be classics that have survived the test of time.

Since bazillions of books haven't survived, we can't very accurately compare the classics with all books published contemporaneously with them, the way we can with books published in our own era.

Truthfully, I wasn’t impressed after reading many books on that list and not sure how one gets on a list. If by sales just because a book is purchased doesn’t mean the reader liked it. There have been thousands of books written since then and just wonder why this “list” hasn’t been recreated.

Until recently Robert Louis Stevenson was classed as trash. Then about twenty years ago, people changed their minds and he became the 'classic' writer he is today.

This! How does this happen and why go back? Why not look at what is being published at the time?

This is the writer of boys-own [and occassionally girls] stories such as Treasure Island, Kidnapped, The Master of Ballantrae as well as Jekyll and Hyde.
Give me the adventure stories of RL Stevenson, John Buchan and Rosemary Sutcliff. And I have a literature degree that cover right from Sophocles, to Chaucer, to Shakespeare and Marlowe, to Pope and Sterne, to Stevenson and Eliot to Sarah Waters and Kate Atkinson.
I firmly believe that Sarah Waters will be one of the classic authors of Queer Gothic.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
I can only say: Wow. A lot of hostility to a contrary viewpoint. Yet I'll say that it's the task of writers to challenge accepted viewpoints. The more accepted they are, the more they need to be challenged. The reaction to the original post was a feeding frenzy, akin to that of an unthinking herd.

Apparently writers hear the point a lot: "Literature was once better." Therefore they reacted strongly.

But they'll then have to admit that there's a widespread sense or feeling among the general population that literature was once "better." We should be asking why they feel that way, and in what sense it might be true.

In the meantime I'll ask MacAllister to reopen the original thread. I had a few things more to say-- I only stopped posting last night to go watch a football game!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
In the meantime I'll ask MacAllister to reopen the original thread. I had a few things more to say-- I only stopped posting last night to go watch a football game!

I don't know why you stopped posting under your previous user name, Karl. I'm assuming it was because your post history would show me ridiculing you so hard you actually vanished from here for about a year.

I remember with some fondness your own attitude to criticism on your own blog, which was to silently delete any comments that offered a different point of view, even if very mildly expressed.

Cordially yours,

Torgo

PS: Paragraphs! Progress.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
p.s. I'm not a college sophomore and I'm certainly not a "troll." I may be one of the few individuals here who posts-- and writes-- under something akin to his actual legal name.

Anyway, here's the actual D.H. Lawrence quote I was speaking about, found in an essay by F.R. Leavis in an essay lauding the significance and greatness of Anna Karenina:

"The novel is a great discovery: far greater than Galileo's telescope or somebody else's wireless. The novel is the highest form of human expression so far attained."

No one today holds that viewpoint or could hold that viewpoint. Yet it could easily be documented that Western culture once held the novel, and novelists, in that kind of esteem. Novelists like Tolstoy in Russia and Zola in Western Europe were gigantic, larger-than-life figures whose words could shake entire societies-- as both men did in their respective cultures. Novelists were considered among the culture's highest intellects.

It's been said there are many Phds on these boards. I ask then: Would any Phd holder state that the ideas expressed in The Brothers Karamazov were simply a knock-off of Greek philosophy? Especially seeing as those ideas were the forerunner of modern philosophy, a precursor to existentialism, a strong influence on Nietzsche, as well as a being a discussion of Christian ideas which theologians still debate?

To state, as I did, that Tolstoy and Dostoevsky were "greater" novelists than any novelist around today is something which can be demonstrated. Not solely through their ideas, or the vast scope of their greatest works, but also the humanity contained within them. (See, for one example, the long birth scene in Anna Karenina.) That the notion is not allowed to be considered may be a sign that literature, if not "degraded," at least has devolved in some way. A point, again, that can be supported with argument and evidence.

www.americanpoplit.blogspot.com
www.blitzreview.blogspot.com

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
To Torgo: Sorry, but you expressed an inaccuracy. Study my personal blog to any extent and you'll see that I allowed, and tolerated, a mass of criticism to it. The blog was/is intended to be provocative. I fully realized that reaction came with the territory. However, I would delete anonymous posts when they became obscene, racist, etc, yes. At times I've moderated comments, when the response was more than I could deal with.

Any insults I received here were mild in comparison. (Why is it that only one side is allowed to be insulting-- if it expresses a majority viewpoint?)

Why am I back? Because I now have three ebooks of my fiction which I need to begin to market in some way. As I published them under the name King Wenclas, it makes sense from a brand standpoint to post under that name. I invite you to read them. Thanks.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
To Torgo: Sorry, but you expressed an inaccuracy. Study my personal blog to any extent and you'll see that I allowed, and tolerated, a mass of criticism to it. The blog was/is intended to be provocative. I fully realized that reaction came with the territory. However, I would delete anonymous posts when they became obscene, racist, etc, yes. At times I've moderated comments, when the response was more than I could deal with.

Sorry, Karl, but you deleted several comments of mine merely for mildly and politely pointing out fallacies in your posts. That is, of course, your prerogative, but please don't pretend that you were screening 'racist or obscene' content.

What you describe as 'provocative', I would describe as 'passive-aggressive, attention-seeking concern-trollery.'

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
Really? If I deleted your posts, as you say, then I apologize. I've been running that blog for a long time-- and of late have tried to get other blogs off the ground. That first one still gets a lot of hits even when I abandon it, so I'm drawn to using it-- to try to get people to my other doings.

Some background: I was once a member of a notorious writers group which made some waves last decade. We began by exposing corruption in the arts grants scene-- panelists awarding money to buddies, that kind of thing. The reaction was overwhelming. We began as an off-line group and used a po box. It became filled with anonymous hate mail. If Torgo looks on that old blog, and checks the archives for our most contentious periods-- 2005, say, or early 2007-- he'll see that the debates were fierce, and that I absorbed as much as I gave. There was one difference. We the members of that group posted under our real identities-- often goofy monikers, sure, but real identities, which made us accountable for everything we said. Yes, it's quite easy to call someone an "idiot" on-line under a phony name. What butterfly said is likely true-- that people would NOT call her that to her face.

The history of our now-dead writers group was that we also engaged people in debate in person. I never had a single person call me an idiot to my face. Yet that was a mild response from anonymous posters on my blog!

Given my background, I'm sensitive to herd response applied to other writers. I also can't help bristling at things said by individuals under the cloak of anonymity. (It's true that I've deleted posts to that blog strictly because they were anonymous-- after requesting for years that people respond under a real identity. What name did you post under, "Torgo"? Who is "Torgo," anyway?)

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Why am I back? Because I now have three ebooks of my fiction which I need to begin to market in some way. As I published them under the name King Wenclas, it makes sense from a brand standpoint to post under that name. I invite you to read them. Thanks.
Do I understand this correctly? Your reason for being here is to market your three books?

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
No, I'm on this thread and other threads to discuss literature, as I've been doing. I'm using "King Wenclas" rather than a pseudonym simply so that, if anyone is interested in what I say, and wants to read more of my ideas, they can google that name and come up with something, rather than a name which means nothing. Does that make sense? Do you see the distinction?

I've kept my posts restricted to discussions of literature, save for one or two on the promo thread. I trust that's acceptable.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Me thinks this thread is heading to the great thread bin in the sky soon.

I may be one of the few individuals here who posts-- and writes-- under something akin to his actual legal name.

Look around you, many members post using their real names. Some of us don't, and we have our reasons, but generally are happy to reveal real names to anyone who asks. Same as many writers use a pen name. It means nothing.

"The novel is a great discovery: far greater than Galileo's telescope or somebody else's wireless. The novel is the highest form of human expression so far attained."

No one today holds that viewpoint or could hold that viewpoint.

No one? Really? That's making a pretty big assumption there, isn't it?

I think most readers would still hold that view, and all writers do. Anyone who has ever anticipated opening a new book, or experienced that thrill of discovering a story that unexpectedly touches them. They all hold that viewpoint you are saying 'no one' holds.

So, your legal name is King Wenclas? I mean, that's what you stated in your post above, right?

We the members of that group posted under our real identities-- often goofy monikers, sure, but real identities, which made us accountable for everything we said.

The internet is not as anonymous as folks would like to think.

The history of our now-dead writers group was that we also engaged people in debate in person. I never had a single person call me an idiot to my face. Yet that was a mild response from anonymous posters on my blog!

I have frequently called people idiots to their face. If I think someone is being a tool then I will tell them that. Face to face.

Given my background, I'm sensitive to herd response applied to other writers. I also can't help bristling at things said by individuals under the cloak of anonymity. (It's true that I've deleted posts to that blog strictly because they were anonymous-- after requesting for years that people respond under a real identity. What name did you post under, "Torgo"? Who is "Torgo," anyway?)

The interesting thing about pen names or screen names is that they become an identity of their own. Names are, essentially, pretty useless as people frequently change them anyway. Psychologically real names mean nothing, I could tell folks my name was whatever I wanted to, it doesn't mean that it's my real one.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I"m locking this. For the future, when a thread is locked, that means leave the comments alone. Especially don't start a new thread just for the purpose of arguing about those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.