exercise partner/workout buddy

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm writing an article for a national fitness magazine about the benefits of having a friend to exercise with. Looking for anecdotes or quotes from people who have had more success working out with a partner than alone.

Any warm, fuzzy, inspirational stories to share? I'll quote you and may be able to mention your writing credits to give you a bit of exposure.

PM me or respond below and I'll follow up. :)

Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Kundalini Yoga communities typically congregate in the early morning, often around 4am to read Japji Sahib (Sikh morning prayer), do some Kundalini Yoga and meditate. The effects of practicing in groups can be exponential.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. If it is, feel free to contact me.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At one time, I walked for exercise and Mr. Maryn ran. If I wanted to skip it, my excuse had to satisfy only me--and I was easy.

As my husband's joints insisted running was less and less a good idea, he's now walking with me. Not only does he 'force' me to go a bit faster and farther than I might have, with those longer legs of his, but he's a lot more demanding when it comes to acceptable excuses.

Sure, I still blow off too many of the mid-week work-outs (which I do alone), but missing a weekend session with Mr. Maryn is pretty rare. When someone expects you to be there, you show up!

Maryn, fitter than she would have been

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
thank you! story finished.

Just swinging back by to say thanks for the responses. I was able to use Maryn's anecdote and filed the story last week. :)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm writing an article for a national fitness magazine about the benefits of having a friend to exercise with. Looking for anecdotes or quotes from people who have had more success working out with a partner than alone.

Any warm, fuzzy, inspirational stories to share? I'll quote you and may be able to mention your writing credits to give you a bit of exposure.
Thanks!

Man, i have tons. I used to train people when i was in the military.

Funny stories...i once had a buddy who i would lift with, this man was a true ladies man. He never met a woman he didn't like. One day i was working a fatigue set and i was repping out 225...i mentioned that my arms felt like jelly before hand and asked him to keep an eye on me...needless to say, he didn't and i had 225 lbs bouncing off my chest.

At one time i was training really hard to go E.O.D. (explosive ordinance disposal). i would work construct with my unit all day and then run myself through a 3 hr program every night. My progress was slow in the beginning. Once i found a guy who had been a BUDS drop (Seal Candidate that dropped out), he made my work outs a lot more fun and even harder! I was pushing myself more and more because he called me out on my crap! When i didn't feel like working out, he would literally drag me from my rack to the door!

The moral of that last story...pick your workout partners well. You may choose to pick someone you like or even enjoy spending time with, that is not the answer. We need to find people who have similar goals and the determination to make each other show up and put the hard work in.

i used to be that jerk for other people. I would tell the guys i was working with that the gym, was work time. We put in work, to play later. If they only wanted to ogle the ladies, they could find someone else to work with them. Don't get me wrong, i liked looking at the women more than anyone. i was just there to work and not be one of those "gym guys".

You know, the ones who go to the gym and make a lot of noise while not really working to exhaustion. the guys that spent more time looking at themselves in the mirror and not the goals they had set for themselves.

i am not sure if this helped, but i hope it does.

Sam K.

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have very little motivation to get up and run - would promise myself to do so over and over, and then not bother for two weeks. I'd just do a little work out at home instead. Then my housemate decided she wanted to get fit as well, and we agreed to be running partners. I was relieved - I'd been trying to find a running partner for ages, but everyone I know seems to either hate running or have knee problems.

Anyway, so the first run was a great success, we both levelled out, didn't mind one falling behind/sprinting ahead (I tend to interval train). But then the second and third...it was so hard to get her out of the house. Instead of demotivated me, however, it motivated me even more, because I'd have to be forcing her out of the house, and then I'd be full of energy from doing that when we got outdoors! After so much effort to get running, I'd want to make the most of the run!

So in some strange way, my running partner being very demotivated motivates me when I'm turfing her out of the house! Don't know if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.