European Version of Apep/Apophis

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone one know if there's a European version of Apep aka Apophis. He's kinda like the God of Oblivion in Egyptian mythology, the God who's warded against, rather than prayed to. Ancient Egyptians, it seems, wanted to appease him to stay away, rather try and gain his attention. (Unless they were trying to sic him on their enemies...)

He's different from Set who is the God of the Desert, desolation, and death. Basically, Set is the opposite of Osiris and Horus, the gods of the fertile Nile Valley. Osiris and Set are pretty much different sides of the same coin.

Basically, I"m looking for a God that people are trying to avoid, such as is the case with Apep. Or if they do leave offerings, they're trying to buy the God off in order to leave them alone. I'm not looking for Gods of Death. I already know several that I can look up.

I just need a name and the Pantheon they're a part of to point me in the right direction. Greek or Roman will do but I rather have European, for my story.

For the record - I am not looking for the Christian Devil. There's plenty of works on the Devil or Satan, etc. I'm looking for something from European mythology or Pagan point of view.

Last edited:

JayD

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
A trickster god, perhaps?

Getting the attention of one probably wouldn't be fatal, but it would be a lot more fun to sic it on your enemies.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Or his daughter Hel?

The Greek goddess of discord, Eris?

Does it have to be a god, or will a monster or assorted creature suffice? That might give you more results. My first thought for instance was a local watermonster Kludde.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Nordic, Germanic, Spanish, Portugese, Celtic, Romanian, etc. Greco-Roman mythologies tend to be classified as a group unto themselves, rather than with other European mythologies. I didn't want to say non-Mediterranean because I am interested in Spanish or Portugese mythologies.

Um, no, I'm not really looking for trickster gods, any more than I'm looking for gods of death. Gods like Hel or Annwyn ruled over places where spirits go after death. So in a sense, spirits still go someplace after death. Loki was a trickster god and caused trouble but he also tended to help clean up the mess afterwards, more often than not.

But it could be a monster. Basically something you don't want to attract the attention of because it's considered a destroyer of worlds or bringer of oblivion.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There must be a personification of Chaos somewhere.....

Named Chaos.

Anyways, Egyptian mythology is unlike Indo-European mythology (Greek, Hindu, Zoroastrianism, German, Celtic, etc.) It is like comparing Basque Mythology with Roman mythology - the Basques never had quite the equivalent to what an Indo-European god was considered to be. Mari is like the Cree O-Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma, although Mari has more ongoing roles throughout the Basque mythology.

Maybe Sugaar fits the bill. He is the Basque god of thunder and storms who appears as a fiery serpent. Gaueko is the Basque god of the night, who appears as a wolf and eats the shepherds at night.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well yes..... but what form does Chaos take in whichever mythology you mean?

And do you need this smilie? :brit

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apophis isn't really a "god"...he's more a force or a monster. His role is that he simply tries to bring about the apocalypse by killing Re and the other gods must restrain and defeat him. Humans don't really have a role in this...He's not really a "god" that humans interact with in any sense.

He is more like Jormungandr or Fenrir from Norse mythology, who both have apocalyptic roles (if Jormungandr lets go of his tail, the world ends; Thor must defeat him...if Fenrir breaks his bonds, he will kill Odin...world ends etc--however these are things that *will* happen in Norse mythology, not things that *might* happen as in Egyptian).

But these are inexact comparisons...Egyptian ideology is quite different from Norse and these monsters don't "mean" the same thing as Apophis. Mythologies and gods are not quite as interchangeable as the Greek/Roman traditions would have some believe :) Maybe if you could be more specific about the role you have in mind for this creature of chaos...?

Maybe check out Typhon...or scan over apocalypse-related literature from your target mythologies...trying Googling "Chaoskampf" and see what comes up...hm. Dunno...

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all! I wasn't expecting to find a one-to-one match but the Chaoskampf sounds like a good starting point. And from what I read, there were some spells or incantations that humans used to appease Apep so he'd leave them alone. Or help leave Re alone.

Anyway, I'm looking for a god/force/monster that my villian is in the process of trying to recall back into 'reality'. The mages in my WIP are descended from old pagan priests. My villian learned of a grimoire that he thinks is from his family's past. He thinks he can use the grimoire to his advantage if he can get his hands on it. But the grimoire is from one of my MC's family and contains spells to keep a totally different entity under wraps, this Destroyer/Chaos entity.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
In one of the versions of the Greek origin story (can't remember exacttly where from -- Hesiod maybe?), the four primal gods, none of whom you'd really want to meet, are Xaos (Chaos), Erebos (the darkness), Tartaros (the endless pit), and Eros (yes, Cupid. It's a deep mythic mystery, ok?).