UK Military - When a regiment returns - getting into barracks to meet returning soldier

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a short story.

My MC's lover (they're gay) is returning from a six month deployment to Afghanistan. He's an officer in a UK regiment. He wants the MC there to meet him at the barracks when the regiment arrives.

Obviously, they're not married. The MC doesn't live on the base. Would he be allowed onto the base? Would there be a list at the main gate of approved visitors? I'm assuming there would be and my MC would have to show ID.

I know it's a small detail but I want to make sure I get it right.

Can anyone help?

Thanks and virtual cookies to anyone who can answer my questions!

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I don't know about the UK, but in the US, it would be a big deal for the unit to be returning. All the spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, family, etc., would be there with a big welcome sign. It might even be covered by local news.

I remember, I was answering the phones for a unit that had returned two days before. It was most embarrassing when one of the spouses called, asking when the unit was returning because evidently her husband had lied to her!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the UK, but in the US, it would be a big deal for the unit to be returning. All the spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, family, etc., would be there with a big welcome sign. It might even be covered by local news.

I remember, I was answering the phones for a unit that had returned two days before. It was most embarrassing when one of the spouses called, asking when the unit was returning because evidently her husband had lied to her!

Yeah, it's the same here. It's on the local news and everyone is there with balloons and banners.

and

oh dear! :Wha: