How To Make A Basic Book Cover

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
As someone who's had a few classes in design and studied it for a few years, I thought I'd make a "short tutorial on what I think makes a good book cover. Hopefully this is helpful for those who want to do their own cover art. I know Gale Haut started another tutorial, but as he's taking a break, this might tide you over until he comes back. Be warned, it's kind of huge.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...basic_book_cover_by_thebloodfiend-d4l0qn7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Rep given. That was lovely. Thanks so much. The information about grids and the golden ratio was especially helpful!

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Great tutorial. My only quibble would be with respect to type. It seems to me that for ebook covers (which most self-pub books are), and for selling print books through online stores, it is vital that the cover works well at thumbnail size. Many of the covers you've used as examples in that section, while lovely, and perfect for print covers in a bricks and mortar store, are going to be illegible and bland at thumbnail size.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've removed the enormous image, and just left the link -- that sort of thing can actually lock up someone's browser if they're on a slow machine or a dial-up connection.

NikkiSloan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! You've given me lots to think about.

NikkiSloan

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of fonts ... there was a comment in another threat about some fonts not being public domain. Can someone expound on that a bit? Is there a list of fonts that are available for use?

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
There are maybe 400.000 fonts out there. Some you can get for free others you have to purchase.
You can start here. If you want free...just make sure it says they are (and not just for personal use).

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I second it being stickied, though I think it would be better for members and AW's SEO if the jpeg were transcribed in an actual post.