PDA

View Full Version : Short essays on horses wanted- pay 1/4 cent per word, minimum $5.00

greengeckopublishing
01-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Green Gecko Publishing is seeking 10 short essays that “illuminate the theme: passion for horses.”

Essays should be 500-1,500 words and must be nonfiction, personal experience.You can include a photo as a jpg attachment. Pay rate is 1/4 center per word (minimum of $5).
The deadline is January 14, 2012. Click here for details and the email address:
http://geckopublishing.blogspot.com/2011/12/call-for-submission.html (http://geckopublishing.blogspot.com/2011/12/call-for-submission.html)

greengeckopublishing
01-16-2012, 10:33 AM
We're looking for about nine short essays that illuminate the theme, passion for horses.Non-fiction, personal experiences only.

We're not looking for stories about the one time you rode a horse.

Tell us why you love horses. Even if you've never owned a horse or ridden one, tell us why you love them and what has kept you from your dream. You can write about a tribute to a horse you had as a child, a horse that passed away, a horse that taught you a lot about life or an equine professional that had an impact on your passion for horses. You might even simply write a personal essay about your passion for horses. Feel free to use your favorite horse quotes. If your writing about a specific horse, please include a photo of the horse as a jpg attachment. The essays should be between 500 and 1500 words. Since the essays are short, place them in the body of the email.

I'll consider longer pieces if they're exceptional. For longer submissions, attach the files in rtf, doc, or docx format. The pay rate is 1/4 cent per word (minimum $5.00)We want essays from horse lovers, not necessarily writers so I'll be more lenient on spelling and grammar as long as the story has an emotional truth. But proofread. I mean this. It's an auto rejection if you can't use punctuation.

We will edit all submissions.

Send submissions to submissions ( at) geckopublishing.com. ( This format helps stop the bots from spamming us. Replace at with @ and remember to delete the period after com )

Call for submissions remains open until enough submissions are recieved.

redflame
01-17-2012, 03:53 AM
"'...Ware not looking for stories about the one time you rode a horse."

Erm...need I say more? Well, if you insist, I will!

"...But proofread. I mean this. It's an auto rejection if you can't use punctuation..."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

ps: quotes taken from the advert.

greengeckopublishing
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
"'...Ware not looking for stories about the one time you rode a horse."

Erm...need I say more? Well, if you insist, I will!

"...But proofread. I mean this. It's an auto rejection if you can't use punctuation..."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

ps: quotes taken from the advert.

This is why I'm not a stickler on the subject. Mistakes happen. However, the story that prompted this strong statement did not include any punctuation.

greengeckopublishing
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't know if I should make this a separate announcement or post here. So here goes.

The Passion For Series

Passion For is a planned series of books about the things that people have passion for. The first book in the series was planned to be Passion for Horses, because I, the editor, have an unrequited love of horses. However, we haven't received the number of submissions we need yet. Rather than continue to put other projects on hold, we're going to be accepting submissions to the following Passion For books.

Passion for Ketchup
That's right, we plan to make a whole book about Ketchup. As all ketchup lovers know, everything tastes better with ketchup. To bring this idea to fruition, we need essays, recipes and quotes about ketchup. (DO NOT send us recipes that are not yours.) You don't need to be especially qualified to write about Ketchup, the one caveat being that you have to have a passion for it. Please remember that the theme is not Ketchup but a passion for ketchup. Maximum length 2,500 words.

Passion for Spam
To misquote Monty Python, you can eat Spam and eggs, spam and cheese, and Spam, Spam,Spam. All joking aside, Spam has impacted the world. Many eastern countries give Spam gift boxes for holidays.

We want spam related essays, stories, and poetry. Maximum length 2,500 words

We also plan to include some global truths about war, US military aide and how Spam saved people all over the world from starvation.Writing well researched essays that aren't dry and boring is an art unto itself so for this we're looking to hire a writer/researcher or two. The pay will be based upon experience up to $.03 cents per word. (But if your resume is really awesome, we'll pay more because we want this book to be Spamtastic.) To apply, please send us two samples of research based essays. Your resume` would also be a good idea.

Do not send us essays about the spam in your mailbox. That would be the wrong kind of spam.

Passion for Puns
Puns are like mimes. Some people love them some people hate them. And we plan to make a whole book about them. This book is slightly different than Passion for Horses or Passion for Ketchup as we'll accept fiction and poetry. The one caveat is that all the stories better be very punny. Maximum length is 2,500 words

Passion for Weird Tales
True or false, we want weird tales. We'll consider horror, science fiction, fantasy and personal essays but we're really looking for stuff that's just plain strange. Maximum length is 3,500 words.

Pay
Our current pay rate is 1/4 cent per word, minimum of $5.00. We hope to increase this rate soon. Send all submissions as an attachment or in the body of the email to geckopublishing(at)gmail.com.

fsmfarms
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I own over 20 horses, but the pay isn't what would excite me.

greengeckopublishing
02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to note we're still looking for about four short stories. We know our pay isn't the most exciting but we appreciate our contributors very much.

We are not yet able to pay higher rates yet. I'm sorry.

Nexus
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to note we're still looking for about four short stories. We know our pay isn't the most exciting but we appreciate our contributors very much.

Don't worry about the concern over your pay. People are not allowed to complain about pay rates. If they are not interested because of the rates, they technically shouldn't even post.

So don't feel like you have to defend your rates. They are legitimate and fair.

R.S. Dean
02-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Are you still accepting submissions for the Passion for Horses title?

greengeckopublishing
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Are you still accepting submissions for the Passion for Horses title?

Yes. We're still looking for a few more essays. The deadline has been extended until the first week of March. After that date, we'll move ahead with what we have.

AncientEagle
03-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I failed to notice your posts until tonight. Would like to have sent you a piece on love of horses, including my own special palomino gelding of many years back. Unfortunately, I'm swamped with other work, but please keep us informed if you extend this project or add others on that, or similar, subjects.