Books in English on domestic servants in Nicaraguan haciendas- mid-20th century (1940s)?

Morwen Edhelwen

Registered
Reaction score
In my second WIP, the protagonist is a teenage servant boy in a Nicaraguan hacienda. I've done some research on the details of daily life, but have come up with nothing (I did find some stuff on the United Fruit Company. Useful for understanding the background). Does anyone know of any books in English which discuss the living conditions of house servants in a hacienda (the actual house) in
Nicaragua? or any books in English on the lives of domestic servants in colonial Central America? (of course this would differ by country).
I'm looking for something that would answer these questions. What and when did servants in a hacienda eat? Specifically, did haciendas have the equivalent of a scullery in British houses? Was it possible that there would be a scullion (male) instead of a scullery maid (female)? What about a servant with "combined duties" (someone who's both cook and housekeeper)?
(The protagonist is the scullion. Is this plausible? (the hacienda, as a whole, is a banana plantation). BTW, all my knowledge about the historical life of servants is from Britain.)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Is this modern times? Our maid in Costa Rica was Nicaraguan, and I got to hear a lot about maids (usually from Nicaragua at the time) from being friends with her and all of our guards :) I love that area so much! The people are fabulous.

Of course the laws were different between Nicaragua and Costa Rica. That's one reason so many people took jobs in Costa Rica rather than Nicaragua. So I only have a very general view of the situation, people and issues.

I'll rep you my email address.