Vietnam Prisoners of War

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what the families of captured U.S. military servicemen would have known in 1968 of their status. As far as I can tell, not many families would have definitely known they were alive and in POW camps. Were servicemen classified as MIA? I know the U.S. knew about John McCain, because the North Vietnamese found out his father was important and so released information about his capture, but I'm thinking of the regular pilots without influential families. thanks!

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I know several POWs in my association with the military from that era. Knowledge of their survival after crash/capture varied. If the VC wanted to exploit them (like with the Jane Fonda incident) then they're existence was broadcast. Also, they were learned about via other escaped prisoners. I know one F8 pilot I went to grad school with that his survival was a mystery for four years until confirmed by a fellow prisoner.

Same is true for many wars. For example I think with Jessica Lynch in Desert Storm we learned about her via HUMINT from Iraqi doctor. Hope that helps ya.