Questions on: tattoo artists, high school suspensions, law enforcement, broken wrists, and weddings

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!
Me again.

So I have a couple questions about a couple different things. Anyone who can help with any of these, your help is much appreciated^^

Tattoo Artists
So my MC is an artist and tattoos fascinate him. What better occupation than a tattoo artist! His mentor, Brick (short for "Brice Robert Isador Connor Kick. don't ask), is a tattoo artist (another reason for his wanting to be one) and decides to teach him. The problem is I have no idea how tattoos work. Do you start with stencils until you're practiced enough to go freely? Explanantion would help a lot, because the Leon-Brick relationship is a big part of the WIP.

High School Suspensions
Leon punches a kid in the face for calling his brother a fag, and then tells him he'll break his neck if he says another word against his family. Leon has a violent past, he's pretty good about it now but when he snaps he you know snaps. (I mentioned this in case it will affect his ehm... sentence.) He does this during school at lunch, so the school deals with it. Right now I have him suspended for 2 weeks, one for violence and another for threatening. But I have never been suspended --- threatened with suspension sure but never the real deal. SO I'm wondering whether 2 weeks is accurate or not.

Law Enforcement
Part of Leon's backstory is him shooting his brother's girlfriend's brother in the hand with his own gun. The story is basically that they got in a fight, Luke (the brother) had him pinned down with his gun on the ground next to him, and Leon picked it up to scare him. Being 14, naive, and having close to no experience with guns, he tried to lock it and ended up pulling the trigger. I don't want to talk about the plausibility of this story! What I want to know is, would he be sent to juvenile hall and if so, for how long? He hasn't had any legal trouble before this, he has run into some trouble at his school and foster homes, but none recorded. Also, he could probably make a case for self defense, right? Thanks guys.

Broken Wrists
The second MC in the WIP is Scarlett. After certain, unexciting events, she falls out of a tree and breaks her wrist. I have NO idea about broken bones! Is this reason enough to go to the emergency room (she's pregnant, so obviously they are freaking out about the unborn child in her stomach as well)? I mean, how else would it be taken care of? Also, would she have a cast? For how long? How much does it hurt? Thanks a million!

Weddings
This is for a second WIP (in the outlining stage, shoot me now). Anyway, MC1 and MC2 are getting married.

I have never gotten married. Neither have my parents or anyone close to me. So I must ask how weddings work.

I know it's subjective, and differs for everyone, but how much do you think a wedding costs in all? What are the necessities for a succesful, or at least functional wedding? Theirs will be Catholic, so does a priest have to marry them? Do they have to write their own vows, or choose them, or what?

Also, what's the point of a rehearsal dinner aside from a nice dinner where the Maid of Honor and Best Man make speeches?

Thanks so much everyone.:Hug2: I would be lost without all you AWers.

Thanks again! Love you guys.:heart:
-Tragedies

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer most of your questions, but...

Broken wrists: yes, she'd go to the emergency room because she'd need an X-ray. They'd probably put it in a temporary half cast overnight to let the swelling go down, then a full cast which she'd be in for several weeks.

Pain depends on the person. When I broke mine, it hurt, but not rolling round on the floor in agony - I got up and finished my skating lesson. Then I drove home. What made me realise something was significantly wrong was that I couldn't turn the key to start the car with that hand - my wrist simply refused to do it.

It didn't hurt in the cast.

This is all assuming that it's a relatively minor break. If she's made a real mess of it and it's now out of alignment (the nurse asked me over the phone whether the profile looked like the neck of a fork) then it'll probably need operating on, and she'll possibly have an external bar and pins holding it in place and then need another operation later on to remove them.

Weddings: how much do you want to pay? In the UK at least, there's a set fee for the minister. It's not a lot of money, and it includes the fee to register your marriage. Everything else is optional.

We didn't have a rehearsal, much less a rehearsal dinner. But if your characters were having a rehearsal, then everyone involved in the rehearsal would need to eat that evening, and if they'd travelled any distance then it would make sense for them to go eat out together.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
Tattoo Artists
So my MC is an artist and tattoos fascinate him. What better occupation than a tattoo artist! His mentor, Brick (short for "Brice Robert Isador Connor Kick. don't ask), is a tattoo artist (another reason for his wanting to be one) and decides to teach him. The problem is I have no idea how tattoos work. Do you start with stencils until you're practiced enough to go freely? Explanantion would help a lot, because the Leon-Brick relationship is a big part of the WIP.

-Tragedies

Most apprentices would start out with stencil work if the shop is professional. Learning the speed of the tattoo gun, the weight of the gun, the needle sizes, proper cleaning of instruments, Ink combinations and organic ink. how deep to penetrate the skin, the right pressure to use, proper cleaning and after care of the work after it is done, personal hygiene, all the laws for who to tattoo, the age of consent, the proper forms to fill out to keep the artist safe, . . . . I can go on if that wasn't enough . .;)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Tattoo Artists

Generally you will start with working on paper first and gradually progress to skin. Most artists use some sort of stencil - this is stencil that is printed onto paper and transfered to your skin, which teh artist uses as a guide.

Some very experienced artists will go free hand, or will hand draw a stencil with a special pen. But the majority will still use a stencil of some sort.

High School Suspensions
Leon punches a kid in the face for calling his brother a fag, and then tells him he'll break his neck if he says another word against his family. Leon has a violent past, he's pretty good about it now but when he snaps he you know snaps. (I mentioned this in case it will affect his ehm... sentence.) He does this during school at lunch, so the school deals with it. Right now I have him suspended for 2 weeks, one for violence and another for threatening. But I have never been suspended --- threatened with suspension sure but never the real deal. SO I'm wondering whether 2 weeks is accurate or not.

It depends on the schools policy. The kids who were bullying my little brother didnt get punished by the school at all - the school were even reluctant to tell their parents. My school, on the other hand, would see you out for a week for sure, and a repeat offender would be looking at expulsion.

But, given what you said below about a previous criminal past, that can change things - see below for explantions

Law Enforcement
Part of Leon's backstory is him shooting his brother's girlfriend's brother in the hand with his own gun. The story is basically that they got in a fight, Luke (the brother) had him pinned down with his gun on the ground next to him, and Leon picked it up to scare him. Being 14, naive, and having close to no experience with guns, he tried to lock it and ended up pulling the trigger. I don't want to talk about the plausibility of this story! What I want to know is, would he be sent to juvenile hall and if so, for how long? He hasn't had any legal trouble before this, he has run into some trouble at his school and foster homes, but none recorded. Also, he could probably make a case for self defense, right? Thanks guys.

Whether he gets sent to Juvie depends. I mean, gun crime is dealt with pretty severely, and given that it happened in a violent fight then it's more likely to go against him.

Also, even though none of his past issues have been recorded, you can bet your ass that they will come up - if it goes to trial then his social workers and foster parents can be called up.

In terms of the suspension at school, this previous criminal history will be taken into account in terms of suspension - chances are that the school would have been reluctant to take him in the first place, so they will be watching him carefully. In addition, if he gets into trouble again then he may be potentially violating the terms of any parole - even if he didn't got to juvie then he's unlikely to have gotten off completely, and may have gotten a suspended sentence - this will be dependant on him staying out of trouble during the time specified, breaking those terms will see him sent straight to juvie or prison.

Broken Wrists
The second MC in the WIP is Scarlett. After certain, unexciting events, she falls out of a tree and breaks her wrist. I have NO idea about broken bones! Is this reason enough to go to the emergency room (she's pregnant, so obviously they are freaking out about the unborn child in her stomach as well)? I mean, how else would it be taken care of? Also, would she have a cast? For how long? How much does it hurt? Thanks a million!

Depends on the break. If she's pregnant then they will be unwilling to xray her as it can potentially hurt the baby.

In terms of her wrist - depending on the break a cast could be on for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months - assuming that it's a clean break and she doesn't need any surgery (my dad had to have a couple of ops on his wrist when he feel off the back of a lorry and literally shattered his wrist. he had a cast on for months)

Weddings
I know it's subjective, and differs for everyone, but how much do you think a wedding costs in all? What are the necessities for a succesful, or at least functional wedding? Theirs will be Catholic, so does a priest have to marry them? Do they have to write their own vows, or choose them, or what?

I got married last year and we spent a total of about £500 on the whole thing - including the reception. :)

We got married at Belfast City Hall, we had to get a licence at least two weeks before we got married, or, if you are getting a religious service you can have your bans (intention to wed) red out in your church for three weeks before you get married. When getting a licence we had to fill in a form each, about our details, parents, address etc, marital status (single, divorced, widowed etc) and sign a declaration that we were legally allowed to get married. You get your licence from City Hall, and since we were getting married there anyway the cost for that was £120, which included the licence and the registrars fee.

You need two people to sign as witnesses, they can be anyone at all. Beyond that it's up to you what you do.

In terms of clothes etc, we didn't go mad, kept it simple, the boys wore stuff they already owned, I got a dress on sale from a catalogue and my bridesmaids bought their own dresses from Next.

We turned up on the day, the guests were already seated, each of us had a last minute talk with the registrar and then the service, which was about forty minutes in all. After that we had photos and headed to the reception.

Our reception was held at a local lawn boules club, they have a really nice funtion room with a bar that we got the use of for free because we have over 50 guests. They let us use the kitchen there to heat food, and everyone who came brought a dish with them, so we just had a bit buffet style meal with chilli, soup, sandwiches, pizza, susage rolls, chicken wings and BBQ ribs (just what you want when wearing a while dress) and it was all very informal and relaxed.

A couple of people made speeches - but again these were informal and spur of the moment things.

If you are getting married in a church then things are slightly different, with the wedding ceremony being part wedding service and part church service. They tend to go on for longer with prayers and hyms.

When I worked in hospitality we did wedding every day of the season, and they were very different to our reception - they were more formal, more organised, with guests arriving to tea and coffee, and seating plans. Dinner would be served at about 5pm, then there would be speeches and then music, and usually a small buffet of sandwiches etc at about 10pm. You can expect to pay about £30 per person for that kind of reception.

The average cost of a wedding in the UK now is something like £10k, but honestly, you don't need to spend anywhere near that to have a functional wedding. We spent less than a weeks wages on ours and it was brilliant.

As a note - in the Catholic church events I have been to, the church doesn't charge the couple for getting married (or baptisms and funerals etc) when they are members of the church, however, it's considered the norm to give the priest a donation.

Also, what's the point of a rehearsal dinner aside from a nice dinner where the Maid of Honor and Best Man make speeches?

It's more of a last minute going through things - formalising the events of the wedding. We didn't bother with one.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the tattoo question - if you have time check out the series 'Miami Ink' - particualrly the earlier series where Yoshi is learning - he seems to spend most of his time tracing stencils etc, but it will give you an indication of the work involved for an apprentice.

It takes years to become a tattoo artist and is a very hands on and time consuming job.

Also, something to note is that in the UK there are no qualifications and no real licence as such, a premises must be registered with the local Environment Health Department, this comes under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions)Act 1982, Chapter 24, though.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Free style tattooing, as in tattooing without any guide at all, is very unusual. To the extent that it's a selling point for the artists who do it.

My leg tattoo was done free hand, but that's because the style is impressionist and clean lines aren't as important. My back was designed by me and the artist, but he drew himself a stencil which he then followed when he inked me, to ensure smooth lines and symmetry.

However, an apprentice would probably work with Flash to start with, which is pre-drawn stencils rather than creating their own.

I would advise going into a few studios (good ones) telling them you;re writing a book and asking them these questions. Bear in mind that they won;t want to answer in 'office' hours. The man who did my back charges £25 an hour, so a proper in depth interview would cost the artist a lot of money.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score

Back in 1995, my wedding cost in the vicinity of $3000 or so. We got married in a United church (he was religious, I am not, but I was willing to compromise) and made a donation to the church (I don't recall the dollar amount) instead of paying a fee. My dress cost around $300. The cake was $150. The rest of the money went into the reception, which we had at my parents' place.

You can always choose to write your own vows in any ceremony (my ex and I didn't), otherwise you get the standard spiel. Though you can (usually) modify even those.

If you want to get married in a church, Catholic or not, yes, a priest performs the ceremony.

What are the necessities? Besides witnesses, nothing, basically. But if you want to share the ceremony with friends and family, it's a good thing if you can feed them and serve drinks afterward. Receptions are where the serious money is always spent.

But you can spend as little or as much as you choose and still have a wedding you love. Though these days, it seems, people are more and more inclined to spend insane amounts of money on the things.

My ex and I didn't have one. We had big party back at our place instead. I don't remember speeches, just lots of drinks.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
An addition to the suspension question is -- it depends. So that can work in your favour, really!

I'd say that some extra factors that could be considered are the policies of the school board; whether there have been any other violent incidents lately that might make the board/school feel that an example should be made; whether the insults that started the fight were ongoing and had been reported/documented; whether Leon is doing well in school generally; whether Leon has a good relationship with the school administrators; whether Leon has any documented psychological issues or special needs related to the event (this could reduce or increase the punishment, depending on the philosophy of those involved0; whether Leon has a teacher/counsellor/other school employee willing to champion him; whether Leon shows remorse and seems to have a plan to avoid future violence; whether Leon has parents fighting for him; whether the other kid has parents pushing for a stronger punishment; and whether charges are laid by the police.

There's probably more stuff, but these are a start. In my jurisdiction at least, there are a LOT of variables that go into these decisions. In general, a good administrator will try to do what's best for the students involved, and for the school as a whole. It needs to be crystal-clear to everyone that school is a safe place and the admin will not tolerate any violence; once that's clear, the admin will look at trying to rehabilitate the offender and get him back into the school community in a safe way. That's what a GOOD admin would do.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago I fell from the back of a truck I totally shattered my left wrist, immediately the swelling came out and I thought it was going to restrict the flow of blood to my hand. Strangely it didn't hurt that much, but it looked like my hand had literally been shoved onto the end of my arm. I went to the ER and had an X-Ray sure enough it was a bad fracture they put me in an elastic type cast (presumably so it would give if it swelled anymore). 2 days later I had to go in for surgery which took about 2 hours, I had 3 plates and 8 screws inserted which are still here today. Long term, my wrist is deformed and larger than it was, I have to wear my watch on my right wrist due to the size of it. On cold days I feel discomfort and it still hurts if I catch my thumb. Hope this helps.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!
Me again.

So I have a couple questions about a couple different things. Anyone who can help with any of these, your help is much appreciated^^

High School Suspensions
Leon punches a kid in the face for calling his brother a fag, and then tells him he'll break his neck if he says another word against his family. Leon has a violent past, he's pretty good about it now but when he snaps he you know snaps. (I mentioned this in case it will affect his ehm... sentence.) He does this during school at lunch, so the school deals with it. Right now I have him suspended for 2 weeks, one for violence and another for threatening. But I have never been suspended --- threatened with suspension sure but never the real deal. SO I'm wondering whether 2 weeks is accurate or not. Depends upon the school district and its policies. With his background, I'd find this on the light side, provocation notwithstanding. Further, some school districts have a policy of reporting all assaults to the police.

Law Enforcement
Part of Leon's backstory is him shooting his brother's girlfriend's brother in the hand with his own gun. The story is basically that they got in a fight, Luke (the brother) had him pinned down with his gun on the ground next to him, and Leon picked it up to scare him. Being 14, naive, and having close to no experience with guns, he tried to lock it and ended up pulling the trigger. I don't want to talk about the plausibility of this story! What I want to know is, would he be sent to juvenile hall and if so, for how long? He hasn't had any legal trouble before this, he has run into some trouble at his school and foster homes, but none recorded. Also, he could probably make a case for self defense, right? Thanks guys. I know you say you don't want to discuss the plausibility of this, but you might want to try acting it out with a toy gun. Although the overall concept works, the specific details don't seem likely.

Self defense would be if he could argue that he felt his life was being threatened and reasonable force would involve using a gun. His explanation that he's trying to lock it while being beaten up would be hard to present with a straight face. If he's able to argue self defense and prevails, nothing happens to him. If he argues self defense and loses, I'd expect him to do his minority in juvenile detention. Even if his story is true, he's guilty of reckless behavior.

Broken Wrists

When I broke my wrist, I finished a thirty mile bike ride and didn't go to the doctor until after work the next day, and only then with the encouragement of my wife. A doctor will cast it, but if it is in place, you can survive with just an ace bandage holding everything together.

Thanks so much everyone.:Hug2: I would be lost without all you AWers. You poor thing. You need to find a life in the real world.

-Tragedies

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
No idea on most of these, but a couple of thoughts on tattoos and weddings.

Tattoos
I agree with everything that has been said here. I'd also like to add that in the shops I'm familiar with, there is a long, drawn-out process leading up to actually tattooing paying customers. As mentioned, the artist generally works on paper for a long time. Then he moves to skin, but not paying skin. He'll do ink on himself and shop employees, and then maybe move to friends/groupies/hangers-on.

A good artist (the mentor) can fix a bad-to-mediocre tattoo, but he's not going to want to get a reputation for bad ink, so he's not going to let the apprentice do actual customers until he's entirely confident. Then it'll be very small stencil pieces with simple designs. It might be a number of years before the apprentice does large, complicated pieces on tricky areas of the body. As others have said, free-handing might happen way down the line, or possibly never.

As an example, I went with a friend to get the Buddy Christ from Dogma on his thigh. Not terribly complicated, but the shop owner went online and printed out the exact image, then turned it into a stencil. He's been doing this, and training artists, for nearly 30 years. But recreating someone else's artwork freehand is virtually impossible to do accurately.

Weddings
I'm twice divorced. The second husband and I had two wedding ceremonies--one for ourselves in New Orleans and one for family in Florida. My cousin got married a couple of months after I married my first husband.

My first wedding, we went all out. It was medieval-themed, held outdoors at a horse ranch. Seven horses, a professional DJ for four hours, photography team, bridesmaids and groomsmen and flower girl and ring bearer, all (including the horses) in custom-made medieval garb. An authentic medieval feast. A traveling troupe of troubadours. A red dragon ice sculpture. Huge wedding cake and groom's cake. About 150 guests. Total bill in 1996 was only around $4k, because we did things smart.

My cousin's wedding a few months later was around $6k, and all she had was a church wedding with a cake and punch reception. Not sure how she managed to spend that much.

Second time around, I did something completely different. The official ceremony in New Orleans was under the Dueling Oaks in City Park--no permit or fee required. Officiant was a dear family friend. Two official witnesses, a man and a woman, who stood as maid of honor and best man. My parents were also there. We wore clothes we already had, and my mom made a veil. Total cost $250--$50 donation to the officiant, $30 for the marriage license, $20 for the veil materials, and $150 for the Chinese dinner my parents treated us all to.

The unofficial second ceremony was at midnight on Clearwater Beach. About 50 guests, small reception at our condo. Total cost $150--$100 for the officiant and $50 for food and decorations.

Basically, the wedding can be as expensive or inexpensive as the couple wants. The only actual requirements are a marriage license, two witnesses, and an officiant licensed in the state to perform marriages (some states still require blood tests for the marriage license, so check into that). Everything else is trappings. Tell us what the story requires, and we can help you decide what the couple gets for the money they want to spend.

Oh, and rehearsal dinners? Really just a practical consideration. Big weddings require a rehearsal so everyone knows what they're doing. Rehearsals typically go late into the evening, so everyone goes out to dinner afterwards. Groom's family traditionally pays, but today it can be paid by pretty much anyone (considered gauche to let everyone pay for their own, though).

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
The management of a pregnant woman who falls out of a tree depends on how far along she is. They would shield her abdomen if an x-ray is indicated. If she is far enough along for a viable pregnancy, she would also get sent to an obstetric unit for monitoring for abruption, contractions, etc.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
If the kid has a violent past, he'll certainly have a social worker and/or a parole officer. If he gets in trouble - once - he'll probably be put on indefinite suspension until a meeting is scheduled with school administrators, school superintendent (or equivalent), parents, representative teachers, social worker and parole officer. State law will vary in situations like this, but most states have cracked down on violations which involve guns. I had a violent student (history of jail, had a parole officer and social worker) and after one offense in school he was out. Gone. We teachers didn't know where he went and we didn't care.

As for weddings, my daughter's wedding (2006) was considered 'moderate' in price and cost $25,000. (Middle class family, religious on his side but not on ours. Garden wedding by the minister of a local, liberal Protestant church.) Her gown was $1,000.

I think with weddings you can go all the way from simple, family-made, to extravagant and over-the-top. Our wedding, by our middle class standards, was considered sort of middle-range. I had friends who spent far more and some who spent much less.

The rehearsal dinner is just part of tradition, generally paid for by the groom's family. (Though not necessarily.)

I got married in 1976 and we had an Episcopalian priest as my husband's family was verrry religious (Catholic) and mine wouldn't step foot in a Catholic church if you paid them. I also had a garden wedding and the Episcopalian priest was a 'compromise' between both families.

I think the more you ask about weddings, costs, etc., the more you'll realize the huge range when it comes to formality, cost, etc. I think in the end it depends on the family and what they want and expect.

In my family everyone is married. Some more than one time. :D

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. You guys are really helpful.

And to whoever said that I need to get a life in the real world, that was actually me just being nice. Sarcasm isn't really appreciated in a place where people ask for practical answers, at least IMO^^ but really good help otherwise.

You guys are awesome. :)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
And to whoever said that I need to get a life in the real world, that was actually me just being nice. Sarcasm isn't really appreciated in a place where people ask for practical answers, at least IMO^^ but really good help otherwise.

Ah, but I can never resist the idea of making an idiot remark. And under the standards I'm stating, apparently I also need to get a life myself, because if I did have a life, I wouldn't be responding to something like this. And my kids say I need to get a life, as well, and my children are never wrong.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Free style tattooing, as in tattooing without any guide at all, is very unusual. To the extent that it's a selling point for the artists who do it.

Yeah, it takes a huge amount of skill and talent and artists who can do it well are hugely respected - and very expensive.

I would advise going into a few studios (good ones) telling them you;re writing a book and asking them these questions. Bear in mind that they won;t want to answer in 'office' hours. The man who did my back charges £25 an hour, so a proper in depth interview would cost the artist a lot of money.

I have a full back tattoo that was done in several sittings that cost me about £100 a go for an hour. I designed the tattoo myself and the guy printed it out in the studio and altered it a little to fit my back.

He's a good artist and booked for a long time in advance.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Re: a Catholic wedding: Marriage is considered one of the seven sacraments, and therefore, yes, it must be performed by a priest.

You are not allowed to write your own vows. The Catholic church believes that one way to achieve unity of all believers is by unity of the liturgy. An important factor is consent. Both parties have to enter willingly or there is grounds for an annulment. The vows usually are in a form of questions from the priest: 1. Do you enter willingly? 2. Will you honor each other for the rest of your lives? 3. Will you accept children lovingly from God?

As far as cost, the sky is the limit. You can spend anywhere from $500 to $10,000 on the wedding gown alone. Are they going to have a string quartet? a live band? How elaborate is the catering going to be?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

Jim was teasing you. :)

SuzanneSeese

Comfortably numb by rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.viewofsue.blogspot.com
Here is a link on broken bones here on AW, it might help.

I was married Catholic almost 27 years ago. Yes, a priest must marry you and they insisted it must be in a Catholic Church, back then anyway. We had played around with the idea of an outside wedding.
Weddings are too expensive, thank God I have all boys. We offered our oldest a $1,000 and a ladder to elope and plan to do so with the other 2. Didn't work with the first one probably won't with the others. It was worth a shot.;)

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Here is a link on broken bones here on AW, it might help.

I was married Catholic almost 27 years ago. Yes, a priest must marry you and they insisted it must be in a Catholic Church, back then anyway. We had played around with the idea of an outside wedding.
Weddings are too expensive, thank God I have all boys. We offered our oldest a $1,000 and a ladder to elope and plan to do so with the other 2. Didn't work with the first one probably won't with the others. It was worth a shot.;)

Yep. It also has to be in a Catholic Church.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. It also has to be in a Catholic Church.

I do have to point out that this is a religious requirement and not a legal one, just in case any one is confused. Catholics can legally marry wherever they want, but religiously it should be in a church and by a priest.

Bron

Registered
Reaction score
I had a Catholic wedding ceremony 4 years ago and yes, you need to have it inside a Catholic church and performed by a Catholic priest for it to be a Catholic wedding. If one of the people getting married isn't a Catholic, they have to promise to bring up the children in the Catholic faith. We were also required to attend three sessions of pre-marriage counselling. This was in Australia, not sure how widespread this practice is, but if we wanted to get married in a Catholic church in Australia we had to go. It was actually really good, it was a little bit about religion and how it would figure in our married life, but also about communication, etc. in a marriage.

We didn't have a rehearsal dinner. We only had a very small bridal party and the rehearsal was about 20 minutes. It seems to be a bigger thing in the United States.

I never added up the total for our wedding, but I do know it was on the expensive side. You can spend as little or as much as you want though, as others here have noted. For a Catholic ceremony, you would sometimes have to pay church hire, a donation to the priest, and perhaps hire an organist or some other type of musician/s (eg. a string quartet). The church has to approve the songs. I think someone else mentioned this, but you can't write your own vows in a Catholic ceremony. There are several versions you can choose from, as with the readings, but they have to be approved by the priest. There are two versions of the wedding ceremony. One is a full mass and the other is the short version. Google can help you with the details of these. Good luck!

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I had a Catholic wedding ceremony 4 years ago and yes, you need to have it inside a Catholic church and performed by a Catholic priest for it to be a Catholic wedding. If one of the people getting married isn't a Catholic, they have to promise to bring up the children in the Catholic faith. We were also required to attend three sessions of pre-marriage counselling. This was in Australia, not sure how widespread this practice is, but if we wanted to get married in a Catholic church in Australia we had to go. It was actually really good, it was a little bit about religion and how it would figure in our married life, but also about communication, etc. in a marriage.

That's still the process here.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I do have to point out that this is a religious requirement and not a legal one, just in case any one is confused. Catholics can legally marry wherever they want, but religiously it should be in a church and by a priest.

Yes, sorry if I had too strong implications. As a Catholic, you could legally marry someone outside of the Catholic Church, but it wouldn't be recognized as a sacrament.