PDA

View Full Version : Fair Use

Cathy C
12-30-2011, 10:56 PM
There's an absolutely fascinating article about Fair Use in the December 5th issue of Publishers Weekly (http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/copyright/article/49726-use-it-or-lose-it.html). I thought it would be a good topic of discussion. Read it and tell me what you think!

blacbird
12-31-2011, 11:38 PM
It's a good, informative article, but I'm surprised they don't actually quote the fair use provision of current copyright law, which (in the U.S.) specifies its application in scholarly, critical or parodical work, though it doesn't specify anything about quantity of material quoted.

But I guess the more currently urgent issues are those of downloading for remixes, etc. And I did appreciate this cogent statement:

Pat Aufderheide: Right now, I think the prevailing idea is still that young people think everything is free and they just do whatever they want. But that’s not our experience.I suspect there are still a lot of younger people who have grown up with the Internet who do expect everything that appears there to be "free". But I haven't seen as much of that sentiment expressed recently as I did a couple of years and more ago. Then again, Aufderheide also points out that downloaders now are scared of "getting into copyright trouble," which is undoubtedly true, since the demise of the early Napster downloading orgy, there have been some famous and frightening prosecutions of copyright violators in recent years.

The issue then is: Has the philosophy of copyright fair use evolved among these people, or are they just now more intimidated?

caw

Pat Aufderheide
01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
It's wonderful to know that people are interested in this issue. I would be glad to respond to queries. One thing it's important to recall is that fair use is a doctrine under US copyright policy, and that the situation in other countries is different.

Nexus
01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Well, I am young... but I was told about fair use and understand the basic rights it affords.

Parody allows for some of the most extensive use of copyrighted material - without prior permission given.

If I quote an article, I don't quote the whole article. Instead I post a paragraph and then the link to the publisher of the original article.

Its all about proper etiquette and manners. I was taught to be respectful to others, and learned that I get the most respect back when I do that.

As a very generalized statement (more of an example)... People who would slam a door in someone's face instead of holding it for them are the same kind of people that would not follow fair use. It demonstrates a sociopathic disregard for the emotions and entitlements of others. (At least in those who know full well what they are doing - rather than the naive or ignorant).

Cathy C
01-06-2012, 08:26 PM
It's wonderful to know that people are interested in this issue. I would be glad to respond to queries. One thing it's important to recall is that fair use is a doctrine under US copyright policy, and that the situation in other countries is different.

Thanks so much for joining in the conversation, Pat! The part I found most fascinating was the use in teaching, because there are now so many blogs & sites that teach outside of established academia. Where does one draw the line on the intent of the person quoting?