USAF and WWII Question

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
For the purposes of a character who is a WWII vet and former bomber pilot in Europe, I have a question.

Before the end of the war were there any USAF planes (not including fighter planes) that landed and took off in any of the occupied countries? On purpose, I mean, not because they were in trouble or shot down.

Thanks

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of were RAF Lysanders which were used to ferry Special Ops Agents in and out of occupied France. I don't know if the USAF had anything similar.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
There were no USAF planes anywhere before the end of WWII because the USAF was formed in 1947.

You need to be asking about the US Army Air Corps aka the US Army Air Forces, called the AAF.

Last edited:

Sea Witch

Registered
Reaction score
There were no USAF planes anywhere before the end of WWII because the USAF was formed in 1947.

You need to be asking about the US Army Air Corps.

Okay, thanks. I stand corrected. So the same question about the US Army Air Corps.

Thank you firedrake and Al Stevens

Last edited:

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Check out East Africa. I know there were operations there, but I don't know whether they were ours or one of our allies'.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Or he could have been on loan to the RAF.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Before the end of the war were there any USAF planes (not including fighter planes) that landed and took off in any of the occupied countries? On purpose, I mean, not because they were in trouble or shot down.

No, there were no USAF airplanesuntil 1947. There were mnay Army Air Corps planes, and there were some llandings and takeoffs from occipied countries during WWII. Those were usually to pick up or drop of individuals who had some business going there, spies, etc. Those would have been relatively smal planes, fighters or trainers. There might have even been a few transports.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting queston but I would doubt it. By the time the occupied countires were un-occupied (OK .. liberated) the war was pretty well over. Britain was a whole lot safer to fly to and from and the range didn't matter. Also delivery of ordinance was already safe and secure there by then.

Sea Witch

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

So US pilots were "loaned" to the RAF? I didn't know that. I did know one Dutch guy who joined the RAF and flew for them.

No, I can't make the guy British. I'd rather keep him American and a retired bomber pilot. I knew someone like that in real life (who died recently); so it's easier for me to use some of the real stuff I know about him to mold my fictional character. I guess as long as some of the American pilots *could* *have* landed in occupied territory once or twice, then this one detail in my plot will work.

I'm so happy I found AW. You folks are awesome.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I lived in Arizona, I met a lovely gentleman who volunteered for the RAF at the start of WW2. He went to Australia to do his training and then was sent to England. He flew Spitfires and then went onto Lancasters in North Africa. He didn't really talk about it except to say how much he loved being in England.

I have some links on my other computer that might be useful to you. I'll add the links in this thread tomorrow.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Étain-Rouvres Air Base was used by fighters and C-47s for medical transport.

Laon-Couvron Air Base was used by the 409th Bombardment Group for B-26s from February 1945.

Toul-Rosières Air Base was used by fighters.

There were also bases in Italy, but I'm thinking you're looking for France or the low countries. Laon seems like your best choice. Bombers stationed in England that suffered damage over Germany would land at any base in Allied controlled territory if they needed to.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

So US pilots were "loaned" to the RAF? I didn't know that. I did know one Dutch guy who joined the RAF and flew for them.

No, I can't make the guy British. I'd rather keep him American and a retired bomber pilot. I knew someone like that in real life (who died recently); so it's easier for me to use some of the real stuff I know about him to mold my fictional character. I guess as long as some of the American pilots *could* *have* landed in occupied territory once or twice, then this one detail in my plot will work.

I'm so happy I found AW. You folks are awesome.
If you need him in the war before the US joined as a country, if you don't want him directly in the RAF, he might have gone over the border and joined up with the Canadians. I don't know specifics about pilots and the air force, but there were lots of Americans that joined that way.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If you need him in the war before the US joined as a country, if you don't want him directly in the RAF, he might have gone over the border and joined up with the Canadians. I don't know specifics about pilots and the air force, but there were lots of Americans that joined that way.

Precisely so.
These were the Eagle squadrons I referred to above