PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions for Writers

Another Editor
12-30-2011, 04:58 AM
As an exercise in light-hearted sarcasm, I decided to come up with a few half-joking New Year's Resolutions for the ink-stained and pixel-stained among us.

I will write more.
I will write less; and rewrite, revise, and edit more.
I will realize that as cool as NaNoWriMo is, there is no reason why I shouldn't be productive all year 'round.
I will remember that as helpful as it might be to remember all the writing rules there are in every style guide that I might ever need to use, that there are times when I will need to violate them in a conscientious way.
I will remember that the upshot of rule #4 is that I really need to know what I am doing when I violate a rule of grammar or punctuation.
I try to keep my "INSERT NAME OF PROMINENT WRITER HERE did it, so I can do it too!" arguments to a minimum when I post to writing forums.
I will recognize that reports of the trade publishing industry dying have been somewhat exaggerated.
I will realize that most people know that Facebook doesn't look like MSWord when I have my laptop open in a Starbuck's, and the "I am working on my novel" (or screenplay, or whatever) line is making people smirk for a reason.
I will resist the temptation to write an informative, impassioned, or outraged reply to every thread on this forum, on a blog, on a podcast, on Twitter, ad nauseum; recognizing that emotion is transitory but everything I put on the 'net is permanent.
I will endeavour to create work that is not only done, but work that I can be proud to have done.

Not all of them apply to everybody who posts to or who reads this forum. :) But as tongue-in-cheek as many of them might be, they all probably have a grain of truth in them that applied to all of us at one time or another.

Paul
12-30-2011, 05:05 AM
put me down for no.9

for a laugh.

KellyAssauer
12-30-2011, 05:54 AM
I will write more.
I will rewrite, revise, and edit more.

I'm not worried about style, because I have my own, it conforms to grammar rules. I am proud of it. Real books and Trade publishing will always be around, and as for the rest of those above, I am unsure... because I have no idea why blogs exist, or what a Podthingy looks like, or MSWord, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks, or for that matter... light-hearted sarcasm. So, my resolve for net year is to continue writing and ignoring those things that might keep me from writing. =)

Cliff Face
12-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Recognise that even if I am a great writer, I won't get published if I don't submit anything.

Recognise that even if I am a terrible writer, I won't lose anything by submitting something.