PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Questions

Sea Witch
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Good Morning!

I have some marketing questions. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that you are querying on a completed NF book on kites. Let's say, "how to make kites". And you think that aside from bookstores, every toy store in the world should carry (and would be able to sell) several copies. My questions are as follows:

1. If the agent accepts the idea and it is then picked up by a publisher, is the toy store an idea that someone like *you* would have to sell to the store owners? Is that your role as the author? Or is that someone else's role?

2. If toy stores agreed to carry it, is that something that they would arrange directly with the publisher?

3. If the toy stores does not already carry any books, would carrying copies of your book be a difficult/complicated thing for them to do?

4. And last, is that idea something that would include in your original book proposal?

Thanks very much from a book marketing noob.

Old Hack
12-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Good Morning!

I have some marketing questions. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that you are querying on a completed NF book on kites. Let's say, "how to make kites". And you think that aside from bookstores, every toy store in the world should carry (and would be able to sell) several copies.

Ah. This part of AW is about promoting books which are already published; not about books which you're querying to agents. It might fit better elsewhere: I'll have a think about that. Don't be surprised if it moves somewhere else.

My questions are as follows:

1. If the agent accepts the idea and it is then picked up by a publisher, is the toy store an idea that someone like *you* would have to sell to the store owners? Is that your role as the author? Or is that someone else's role?

2. If toy stores agreed to carry it, is that something that they would arrange directly with the publisher?

Nope. A good publisher will have a sales team which will sell the books it publishes into shops. Those shops are usually bookshops, but not always. They will also have a distribution company which fulfills the orders the sales team gets, and which deals with invoicing, returns and all that stuff for the publisher. This is why it's important to know if the publishers you're submitting to have proper distribution for the books they put out.

3. If the toy stores does not already carry any books, would carrying copies of your book be a difficult/complicated thing for them to do?

Nope. This sort of thing happens all the time.

4. And last, is that idea something that would include in your original book proposal?

Thanks very much from a book marketing noob.

If you're writing a nonfiction book which has a built-in alternative market then for sure, you should provide some information about the market concerned.

Sea Witch
12-31-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you Old Hack.

Old Hack
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm going to move this to the Round Table, where it'll get more attention and will benefit more of our members. Moving in three, two, one...