PDA

View Full Version : Fiction Lake looking for submissions (royalty pay)

PamelaCaves
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I tried getting the editor his own AW account but it was rejected for some reason so I'm posting here on his behalf.

An old editor of mine has started an online publishing site called Fiction Lake (link in my siggi). Here is the original blog post (http://pamelacavesblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/fiction-lake-open-for-submissions.html) I put up to help promote the site. I do the online management for them and have been paid every month on time. I have a story coming out with them in just a couple of months.

I'm posting here because they would like to see more genre variety in submissions. They have had mostly erotica submissions but that's not the only thing they want to publish. They are afraid they will get into a rut if their first several titles are erotica.

Here are the Submission Guidelines (http://www.fictionlake.com/p/submission-guidelines.html). Please don't hesitate to ask questions and such. I'll try to get all the answers for you.

Thanks! I hope I've posted this in the right place. I would've posted it in the Markets section but I'm not technically an editor for them, just an independent contractor.

Sea Witch
12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
That's a good lead, but they won't accept any submissions from outside the US :o(

PamelaCaves
12-29-2011, 10:14 PM
That's a good lead, but they won't accept any submissions from outside the US :o(

Yeah, I'm sorry. :( I don't know all the details but it has something to do with payments and red tape.

blacbird
01-01-2012, 06:20 AM
I know it's a nitpick, but this sort of thing just drives me wild when I see it right up front on a literary publication or agents site:

Whether your just too busy for longer reads,

It's probably my teaching of English composition classes kicking in.

caw

PamelaCaves
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Nice catch! That was all me. I do the website stuff. Going to go change it right now. :) Thank you!

PamelaCaves
01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
There has been a change in genres accepted. Erotica is now out. I don't know the whole reason for the change; something about how it would be more expensive in the long run so the team decided to take it out.

All other genres welcome.

Quantum1019
01-13-2012, 03:13 AM
If anyone's interested, I received a very nice rejection from Fiction Lake today. I submitted less than a week ago and already heard back with a nice note telling me what they liked and didn't like about the story, expressing interest in seeing it again if I made a few changes, and encouraging me to submit more. Despite the rejection, a very pleasant experience and I'll certainly submit something else.

emmyshimmy
01-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Question: Would they consider young authors with first attempts? I have a creative writing class 12 y/o and under. I like showing them places and opportunities for their work often. It helps keep them encouraged.

PamelaCaves
01-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Question: Would they consider young authors with first attempts? I have a creative writing class 12 y/o and under. I like showing them places and opportunities for their work often. It helps keep them encouraged.

He said that it would be fine. If they accept a story from a minor, a parent or guardian would have to be the one who signs the contract and payment would have to go to them.

Great question and one that I've just added to the FAQs. Thank you!