Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I wrote a story that I would have sworn was humorous urban fantasy. Except, apparently, it's paranormal romance. Huh. So today I was in Waldenbooks, and I stopped by the (huge) Romance section. Oh my, there's TONS of romance novels out there...

So, a question, for those who write paranormal romance: do you consider yourself a romance author, or a fantasy author--and why?

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I consider myself just a writer :) Actually I like paranormal romance--I find it utterly Romantic in some strange way. That's just how I feel.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My paranormal romance is genre romance first but is also fantasy. I also write non-romance fantasy, paranromal erotica and many other combos.

But within romance it seems to go:

.....romance
../.............. \
fantasy paranormal

so calling para-romance fantasy may confuse a few people ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, if you have two people falling in love as one of two PRIMARY goals of the book, then you probably do have a paranormal romance. Urban fantasy can have romance IN the book, but it's not normally a goal of the plot to get the people together. I think of myself as a paranormal romance author. That's sort of a separate subset of both fantasy and romance, because books might be shelved in either romance or in the SF/Fantasy section of the bookstore -- depending on the store. I've found our books in either place, or sometimes BOTH. This is a good thing for the author, because you might well pick up fans who don't normally read romances, and vice-versa.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry Jax, it happens to the best of us. I thought I'd written a clever urban fantasy as well, with a modern-day heroine and lots of sarcastic jibes.

Turns out that I'd actually written a paranormal chick-lit. Who knew? Not to fret, though -- the boundaries between one market and the next is growing softer by the day, and fans of one will usually pick up the others. When I shop for books I browse through both fantasy AND romance looking for the elusive paranormals (which are usually shelved in both).

EllenG

Registered
Reaction score
Is it a paranormal romance?

Hi,
I wrote a novel that I thought was paranormal romance. The 2 main characters are in love, they knew each other in another life. There is time travel and telepathy in the story. I submitted it to several publishers and they said basically that it wasn't really a romance novel because, a), the male lead in the present uses a psychotropic mushrooms to enhance the telepathy. This is a no-no in romance novels, the characters has to be very likeable and sympathertic. B), my story didn't follow the formula for romance novels, I leave it open at the end. You know the man and woman will see each other again but you don't see them ride off into the sunset together.
I published it POD (see my thread in Bewares about Heliographica.) I now am going to get my rights back and void the contract. I wonder if I have any chance of getting my novel published with a legit company like Harlequin?
Ellen

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Harlequin will REQUIRE an HEA (Happily Ever After) so yes, they must ride off into the sunset. However, their new Luna imprint is fantasy without that requirement (so the books are NOT shelved in romance). In fact, they don't WANT the romance to take up more than 50% of the book. This might work better for your goals if you don't want to re-write the ending. Otherwise, quite a few of the romance publishers will have a problem with lack of HEA.

Don't know about the mushroom aspect. I've certainly seen stranger things in romance. Susan, care to comment on that from the perspective of category lines?

EllenG

Registered
Reaction score
paranormal romance

Thanks Cathy. I checked out Luna, they want a story with a strong female POV. That's not mine either, as I go back and forth but do spend mroe time with the man's POV.
I am thinking maybe HQL. Or maybe none of the above. I wish books could sometimes just be called 'fiction' without so many genres and sub-genres. :)
Thanks again,
Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.