SubCulture - Murder Mysteries

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Does there exist a sort of subculture where people gather as characters in their favorite murder mystery ... such as Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, etc etc.

Where a group of people meet and re-enact famous murders from novels, or create their own. These people are so engrossed in the world of murder mysteries that they live and breath it?

I tried searching "murder mystery subculture" but really didn't get anywhere aside from dinner parties, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Any help in finding resources on this is much appreciated. I remember an episode of one of the Law and Orders from several years back focus on a group of four 20-somethings who were a part of this subculture.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
If you look up Murder Mystery Weekends you would probably find something of the kind. However, I think they are more top-down--companies providing a service to customers--than bottom-up, which I think is what you're looking for.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
If there isn't such a subculture, there is no reason why you couldn't create one yourself if you need it for your book.

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Buffy - yeah, I am not talking about professional companies. LARPs are sounding closer ...

Lil - Yes and no ... Yes because of why I want one of my characters to be a part of that subculture ... and no, because I really wanted to get some perspective from those in the subculture, so I really need for it to be real, which I think it is, just hard to find.

So, if anyone is into LARPing, particularly murder mysteries (or similar) AND knows of anyone within a group who just lives and breathes their murder mystery character just a tad too much (lines are blurred between reality and make-believe), I really would love to get your perspective on a few things.

That and I don't want to write wrong judgements about the subculture and make it into something it isn't for the vast major of those in the subculture.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Are you referring to an actual real culture, or a web-based program?

Either way, the only thing I can think of is the killers in the 1996 film Scream, that reenact and are inspired by movie killers.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
That and I don't want to write wrong judgements about the subculture and make it into something it isn't for the vast major of those in the subculture.

I'm thinking that if you can't even find them, they (as readers) probably won't number significantly among your critics.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was an episode of CSI where a group adopted the personas of characters from Sherlock Holmes. They had regular meetings, dressed in costume, and in character.

"Who Shot Sherlock?"
season 5, episode 11

MM

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
I'm a bit late to the party, but if you're still looking I may be able to help. I'm a LARPer, though in the horror genre rather than murder mysteries. I was also part of a group that sort of blurred the lines by LARPing Vampire: the Masquerade throughout the French Quarter in New Orleans, where we all lived at the time. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Yes.

There's a Sherlock Holmes society, I believe there's an Agatha Christie - Tommy and tuppence one too.

I think there's a Campion one and a Peter Wimsey one.