PDA

View Full Version : The world's most expensive one-eyed hamster

Mr Flibble
12-29-2011, 03:47 AM
As of earlier today, I own it.

Last night, as I was happily writing, my daughter came pounding down the stairs in great distress. 'My hamster's eye!' was all I could out of her among the sobs. Thinking it probably just had a bit of gunk in there or something (my daughter-hypochondriac about her pets) I soothed her and went to take a look.

The two hamsters (brothers, of a breed that should be happy being social) were happily scoffing. Nothing seems amiss and I'm about to reassure my daughter that all is well, when HOLY FUCKING CRAP!!!! One hamster, Indiana Jones (what? I pushed for calling him Evil McSquevil but was out voted) turns round and his eye...oh man, HIS EYE.

Not only was it three times the size it should have been, it's swelling out of the socket and is ruptured. Him and his brother fight occasionally and it looks like a claw has gone somewhere it shouldn't. It looks like an alien is trying to escape through Indiana's eye, if I'm honest. No wonder my daughter freaked.

Oh shit.

He seems happy enough though, if a little bewildered, so I sooth my daughter, telling her we'll take him to the vet tomorrow, thinking 'He's lost that eye. Do they operate on dwarf hamsters - I mean the anaesthetic must be dodgy for something that small....'

We take him to the vet who confirms that yes, the anaesthetic is risky, but it's remove the eye, or he'll get an infection and probably kark it anyway.

It's going to cost more money than I have, but look on daughter's face and the thought of putting down an animal (however small) that could quite easily be saved makes me say okay.

A couple of hours later, we get the call - he's fine and dandy, come and pick him up. So he's running round his cage like he's been born again, my daughter is grinning liek a loon and debating whether the rename him Gordon Brown.

And I have a bill for a hundred quid. I could buy 20 hamsters for that....

Still, it's nice to see him scamper about like nothing's happened (in a separate cage from his brother now) and my daughter has some colour back in her cheeks now he's okay. I think that's worth 100. Even if I do feel a bit of a soppy mug.

Stlight
12-29-2011, 04:20 AM
This is the kind of mommy action that saves kids thousands in therapy in their twenties. It's the sort of thing your daughter will remember forever.

A good mom post is a good thing to carry into the winter.

amergina
12-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Aww. You're a good soul!

I'm glad Indy and your daughter are both feeling better!

(I own the world's most expensive free cat. It's due to eye issues as well.)

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Oh.my.god. You spent $154 to fix an animal that only lives 2 years? O.o

Captcha
12-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Money well spent, I say!

KellyAssauer
12-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Yes, but they're cute!
It never would have happened with a ferret...

;)

Tepelus
12-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Dwarf hamsters are evil little bastards. Some are nice, but most I've ever tried to handle want to bite me. I've always liked their bigger cousins. The fluffy teddy bears are so effing cute!

Jersey Chick
12-29-2011, 05:41 AM
I like to watch the dwarf hamsters in the pet store. It's like they're on crack or speed.

I once went to three or four different pet stores to find bird tetracycline for my daughter's gerbils when they were pups (a surprise. What we thought were brother gerbils turned out to be boyfriend/girlfriend gerbils and we went from 2 to 5) and weaning. They all came down with respiratory infections (common) and the only way to cure them was to put this stuff in their water. When I finally found it, I cleaned the store out. Still have some if anyone needs it...

Way to go, mom! :D

scarletpeaches
12-29-2011, 05:42 AM
This story could bring a tear to a glass eye.

Mr Flibble
12-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Length of time alive = worth?

How long do ferrets live?

Tsk, shame on you.

Momento Mori was disappointed he's not running round in circles lol. But we're torn between renaming him Gordon, or getting him an eye patch and calling him Yarr, Jim Lad.

ETA:

How could you condemn this to death?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n83/spinynorman_2006/006.jpg

seun
12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Fair play. I had to spend four hundred notes on one of my cats a couple of years ago. I'd do it again. OK, I don't have that much money to spare but I'd go on the game or think of something else to raise the cash.

Luke, moved by Julia's hamster.

Mr Flibble
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd go on the game

I can't see you hanging round King's Cross.

BunnyMaz
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Tsk, shame on you.

Momento Mori was disappointed he's not running round in circles lol. But we're torn between renaming him Gordon, or getting him an eye patch and calling him Yarr, Jim Lad.

ETA:

How could you condemn this to death?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n83/spinynorman_2006/006.jpg

No question, it has to be Yarr Jim Lad.

crunchyblanket
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
A dwarf hamster once ripped my nose ring out. True story.

Indy's a lucky wee bugger to have a kind owner like you. And clearly, he's now got to be renamed Yarr, Jim Lad.

Mr Flibble
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Soppy's more like it.

FFS, don't tell anyone, I got a reputation to uphold.

Tepelus
12-29-2011, 06:27 PM
You have the Chinese dwarf hamsters. Those are much more docile than their psycho Russian comrades.

crunchyblanket
12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Soppy's more like it.

FFS, don't tell anyone, I got a reputation to uphold.

Gotcha. I'll tell them all you ate the hamster raw, with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

seun
12-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Gotcha. I'll tell them all you ate the hamster raw, with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

The hamster's new name is Clarice.

bettielee
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
You have the Chinese dwarf hamsters. Those are much more docile than their psycho Russian comrades.

ok, I was wondering about that, because those Russian buggars are not social.

I once had the most evil little dwarf bastard... I know that thing was plotting my demise behind that plastic dome...

Tepelus
12-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know why those Russians are even out there to be sold as pets. It's not common to get a docile one, most want to rip your fingers off. I used to always wear gloves when fishing one out of a cage for a customer, and a lot of times they were clamped down on my glove as I removed them to put in the travel box. You'd think that would be enough of a hint for people when they see this to not buy them, and even after they're told they are biters, people still take them home, and usually a week later bring them back because their kid got bit, and no one can hold it. Um, duh, did you not see the damn thing chomping down on the glove trying to rip it apart as I fetched it for ya? The bigger hammies, the goldens, teddy bears, etc., can be mean at first, but most often turn docile as they mature. Those Chinese ones rarely bite, but look most mouse-like, so people don't care for them as much. They love the fuzzy Russians, until they go for blood.

bettielee
12-30-2011, 12:10 AM
I tell you, mice and rats are the way to go.

Super cool. So, they carried the black plague and killed millions and millions of people. It didn't harm their disposition, now did it?!

crunchyblanket
12-30-2011, 12:12 AM
It was a Russian dwarf hamster that pulled my nose ring out. Little bastard.

I love rats. I will sing their praises all day long. Best pets I've ever owned (apart from cats)

Fenika
12-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Eeroo, you're a saint :) and that's one cute little furball.

Snowstorm
12-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Aw, IdiotRUs, what a great thing you did! That's a lot of money you spent to save the little squirt, but 20, 30 years from now, when your daughter tells you one of her life lessons, she may remind you of the time you took her little animal's health seriously.

Good for you!

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2011, 12:33 AM

actually, no. Worth = whatever you Place on it.

Ferrets live around 7 years but they're also cost more. they also are more akin to cats and dogs in regard to intelligence and personality.

Maybe it sounds cruel but I've always viewed rodents as disposible pets.

I admire what you did, it's just not what I would have done.

Jess Haines
12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
That was a noble thing you did.

The Jew in me is cringing at the money you spent... but it was very noble, indeed.

:D

cray
12-30-2011, 12:51 AM
That was a noble thing you did.

The Jew in me is cringing at the money you spent... but it was very noble, indeed.

:D

poor choice of words, jess.

GailD
12-30-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm with you, IdiotsRus. My grandson has a hamster (named Pod) who got her foot caught in the top of her cage. We don't know quite how she got up there or for how long she dangled but her little foot swelled up to three times its normal size and my grandson was distraught.

So daughter, grandson and Pod went off to the vet and my daughter got a bill for R300 ($37,50 or about 27 quid). No treatment was necessary - that was just the consultation fee! The foot, she was told, was not broken, just strained and would go back to normal in a couple of weeks. Which it did. My daughter was a bit put out. I told her not to be.

The issue, as I see it, is not the hamster, the vet or the amount. It's your reaction to your child's distress and the example you set by responding with compassion to both child and animal. Sends a powerfully positive message to a child.

IdiotsRus, you've got my vote for UK Mom of the Year.:D

Broadswordbabe
12-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Are you going to get him a teeny eyepatch? Please?
(I once spent a month's wages sorting out a sick cat. This is why I pay pet insurance).

Mr Flibble
12-30-2011, 06:03 AM
actually, no. Worth = whatever you Place on it.

Not what I place on it - what my daughter does. She loves those hamsters. Not just loves, LOVES.

That makes them high worth.

Are you going to get him a teeny eyepatch?Lol, I got an eye patch in my Christmas cracker - daughter asked if we could shrink it to fit. I think we may have to. At the moment he looks like he's on a winking binge.

I have insurance on the dog - never thought to take it out on the hamsters.

PS: Gail, as I said to a guy who told me I should 'Just stamp on it and save the money' what am I going to do, show my daughter that money is worth more than the things we love?

If I really, really REALLY didn;t have the money, I woudl have asked the vet for an instalment plan (they do tose) or taken him to the PDSA or RSPCA, both of whom will treat animals for a donation of what you can afford, though getting him there would have had to wait as car is off the road, and he might have got infected and.... But yeah, I could scratch it together (kinda - it's gong to be a short couple of months) - and he's a damn fine vet.

Jess Haines
12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
poor choice of words, jess.

Sorry if I offended you--I'm Jewish on my mother's side. I was trying to be funny, not offensive.

Either way, it was a very good and sweet thing of IdiotsRUs to do. That's all I was trying to convey.