Woodworking/Carving

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I have a character who's a cabinet maker, but who also makes furniture that's functional but artistic. And I want him to make a chess set out of wood.

I figure that most of the pieces would be made via wood turning, but I'm a bit stuck on the knights. I want them to be a sort of artistic, creative version of a knight, I think just borrowing the curve of a sea horse's neck for a shape but not putting in a lot of detail. So the piece would give the impression of a horse but not look like a horse per se.

Assuming that makes sense - how would such a piece be made? I guess, in less artistic/vague terms, I want him to make a hook shape out of wood. I guess the base would be turned, but the rest of it - would it just be carved? And if so, with what tools?

Also, in case I'm being stupid - I have him using cherry for one set and maple for the opposing set. Are there any problems with this?

Thanks for any help!

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Gouges, v-tools, rasps, and some sandpaper of various grits should do the trick. You can find images of hand carving sets if you search by those names, and no doubt videos showing the techniques.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
The pieces of a chess set that are carved are usually turned first, then the rest is hand carved with the tools MeretSeger mentions: you don't need many--some small chisels and a good carving knife or two....Pfeil makes some nice knives. Good chisels include ones by Lie Nielsen and Auriou (expensive) or Narex and Marples (less expensive). A couple of small pieces of sandpaper and/or a file or two would be enough.

You could do Cherry and Maple, but it's important to have a distinct color difference, so Walnut (dark brown) or Purpleheart (dark purple) or Bloodwood (dark red) and Maple (light) is more common.

I hope this helps,

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Very helpful - thanks!

I want both woods to be grown locally in Southern Ontario... I guess I could go with walnut instead of cherry, but the more exotic woods don't fit the story. I will investigate.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Google chess pieces and have a look at them. In many sets only the pawn can be made totally on a lathe. For the others, they would be put on a lathe for turning the base and an "outline," and the details carved by hand as MeretSeger says.

As I recall, cherry and maple are both rather hard woods. He might be cussing as he does the by-hand work, and for extra drama he could slip and cut himself.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad made a knight out of black walnut. He turned the base on a lathe and then carved the rest of it with a jack-knife - and did an excellent job. But, he was artistic and patient - and this was about fifty years ago.

Black walnut and white walnut (butternut) are both native in Ohio and were used a lot by the pioneers for wood trim because they were so easy to work. Puma

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I live in souther quebec right now

seems like walnut and maple would be fine... Good chance he'd stain them to enhance the difference anyway

he'd probably turn them and then finish with unique carving. Ever think of him making something different than the standard forms ...
maybe animals or some other theme?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I am considering the different themes, yes. I think I want to keep him sort of abstract... like, not carved animals, but maybe shapes or swoops of wood if I can think of ways to make them distinct enough.

It's not a huge part of the story, but it would be nice if the set was unique in some way.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My husband used to do some woodcarving and still does some woodworking. He suggested that you check to see if there are any woodworking or woodcarving guilds or associations in your area. Most of the bigger cities here in Oregon have them. If there is, you could contact them and watch someone work...maybe even try it a bit yourself to get a feel for it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal