PDA

View Full Version : Pen Name or Legal Name

SCIONTX
12-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I write using a pen name. Do I query or submit proposals under this name? Magazine articles and online platform use this name. This is for non-fiction. Thanks.

*Hope this is posted in the right section.

waylander
12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Publishers will want your real name, after all you want them to write checks to your real name.
Send queries and proposals as "real name writing as pen name".

suki
12-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I write using a pen name. Do I query or submit proposals under this name? Magazine articles and online platform use this name. This is for non-fiction. Thanks.

*Hope this is posted in the right section.

Sign your query with your real name, but since you have writing credits under your pen name - I'd add under your real name, "writing as Pen Name" and when you list your writing credits in your query, note they are published under your pen name.

~suki

SCIONTX
12-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Thank you for the quick responses.

JSSchley
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
A lot of people do query under their pen names--after seeing a number of people do that here, that was what I chose to do with mine. I have a blog, an e-mail address, and a slowly growing web presence under my pen, and so if there's the slightest chance an agent might go, "Oh yeah, her!" I'd like to exploit that. Plus it's easier using a separate email for my querying and writing-related endeavors.

The title page included with any partials and fulls has my real name and then my pen name in parentheses above my mailing address.

SCIONTX
12-29-2011, 08:36 AM
A lot of people do query under their pen names--after seeing a number of people do that here, that was what I chose to do with mine. I have a blog, an e-mail address, and a slowly growing web presence under my pen, and so if there's the slightest chance an agent might go, "Oh yeah, her!" I'd like to exploit that. Plus it's easier using a separate email for my querying and writing-related endeavors.

The title page included with any partials and fulls has my real name and then my pen name in parentheses above my mailing address.

Thanks for sharing. My current setup is similar to yours. I wish to use my pen email address as well! Don't have to worry about the spam folder as much. LOL. Thanks again for responding.

Writing Again
12-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I've always used whatever pen name I've used and my "real" or birth name as the name it is copyrighted under.

SCIONTX
12-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I've always used whatever pen name I've used and my "real" or birth name as the name it is copyrighted under.

Thank you.