New York City and State

emmawhy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am writing a YA book partially set in New York City and in Troy, in New York State. For my book, part of the premise is the difference between two lives and two places (one MC lives in England).

Anyway, if you have been to or live in either of the two places NY City, or Troy please tell me about them - what is it like to live there (specifically if you are lower-middle class or working class if you can), is it a nice place to be, and the history of the areas?

If you have any questions about what I need to know, just ask, and thank you in advance for your help.

Emma

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am writing a YA book partially set in New York City and in Troy, in New York State. For my book, part of the premise is the difference between two lives and two places (one MC lives in England).

Anyway, if you have been to or live in either of the two places NY City, or Troy please tell me about them - what is it like to live there (specifically if you are lower-middle class or working class if you can), is it a nice place to be, and the history of the areas?

If you have any questions about what I need to know, just ask, and thank you in advance for your help.

Emma

I live and grew up in NYC; if you get more specific, I'll answer what I can.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in Brooklyn NY for the last 20+ years and, likewise, can answer specific questions you might have. I have never been to Troy, so I can't speak to the differences/similarities.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI or The 'Tute) back in the mid 1970s. RPI is located in Troy, New York.

Troy is a small town in what's known as 'Upstate', and isn't too far from the state Capitol at Albany. Its major claim to fame is that it is the Home of Uncle Sam.

See the city's web site:

tedi.s

Demigods, wolves, & Vamps... Oh my!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Jersey but went into the city all the time and my Father was born and raised there. (Born in Manhattan and raised in Flushing). If you have specific questions, I can try to help you as well.
Good luck!

Oh and my Aunt who I visited often lived in upstate NY and so did a college roommate. They lived in very different areas. YIKEs is all I have to say on that :D