Anyone do Morning Pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone else do Julia Cameron's Morning Pages? I want to start doing them but I have two questions:

1. What specific changes have you noticed since you've started doing them? (in your writing, art, etc.)

2. Do you literally open your eyes, grab your notebook and start writing? Or do you get coffee, or do other things first?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I tried doing Morning Pages years ago. For me, they were not only useless, they were harmful. They're supposed to let you vent on paper or whatever so you can move on with your creative work. They had the opposite effect on me: the act of writing about my troubles entrenched them in my brain even more. It gave negative events in my life more attention than they deserved. I certainly didn't make good decisions while I was doing them, probably because I spent so much mental energy mulling over my problems that I had no energy left to solve them.

These days, I prefer a more Zen-like mindset: acknowledge the problem, then let it go. My productivity and happiness improved immensely after I started doing this, and I haven't looked back since.

ETA: I knew I had shared my thoughts about Morning Pages before. My blunt opinions are in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.