Envelopes within Envelopes

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
What's the best way to get a #10 envelope into a #10 envelope with a one page query?

And how many pages can you stuff in a #10 with a SASE return without going over the need to add an additional stamp?

Folding methods? Some origami tricks? What do you have?

1. 2. 3. Go.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fold a #10 envelop in approximate thirds to enclose an SASE with a query. Don't crease it.

How many pages you can get on a single stamp depends on the weight of the paper. You get one ounce total weight for your stamp. I would not hesitate to send five pp. with a one-page query and SASE, but beyond that, I'd get it weighed at the post office.

Edited to add: But if I'm enclosing requested pages, I never use a #10 envelope but spring for a flat 9x12 and pay additional postage. Nobody's happy reading pages which have been folded in thirds, not even great pages.

Maryn, not terribly helpful

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Fold the #10 horizontally or vertically? :)

Anything more than three pages I'll probably stuff in a 9x12 but anything with fewer pages than that feels like... I don't know. Overkill. Unfortunately people ask for a query singularly, and occasionally a short synopsis. Query is one page, the synopsis is two.

Darn it. Email age. They need email submissions. ;)

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
What Maryn said.

If you are including an SASE, use a flat 9x11 envelope to submit even a one-page query letter. Do not make the agent fit his reply into a thrice-folded #10 envelope.

The #10 envelope gets a standard 1st class stamp on it. The 9x11 envelope gets what it gets, which you will find out when you take it to the post office.

Edited to add; What Throthgar51 said. Self-sealing envelopes.
The cost of doing business like a business doesn't cost much more.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! Ooh! I have an online widget that can roughly tell you how much your envelope is going to weigh:

The Writer's Weigh Scale

You'll have to figure out for yourself how much that will cost in stamps.

And I, also, fold the #10s in thirds to fit them in a #10 envelope.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Egads, I haven't sent our a query via snail mail in about three years. When I did though, I paperclip all pages, (1 or more), with the #10 SASE and slide it into a 9x11 flat envelope. This way it looks much more professional and the agent or editor does not have to fool around with unfolding anything. Generally, we are only talking pennies more in the cost of shipping and supplies.

I also use the self sealing type of envelopes so the agent or assistant don't have to lick the damn thing...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha-ha, then you don't have samples of agent DNA!

Maryn, thinking ahead

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Once upon a time, Writer's Market used to have a chart on the inside back cover of what x amount of pages would cost in postage.

It was handy. :)
Oh, yeah. I still have the first copy I bought for exactly that reason. And it's inherent handiness is exactly the reason I decided to create my aforementioned weigh-scale widget.