Lathe of Heaven

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, in search of a couple of movies I wanted to show to my English composition classes, I stumbled across a local video store that was selling all their VHS tapes for $1 each. I found two I needed for my class, but also stumbled across a video of Lathe of Heaven, from the Ursula LeGuin novel I read many years ago, and regard as one of the finer SF novels of the past few decades. I'd never seen it, and watched it last night. It was a made-for-TV thing, with obvious commercial breaks, but those weren't terribly intrusive. The major actor star was James Caan. Without further comment, I'm curious to know if anyone else has seen this, and what they think about it.

caw

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this. Or at least, I think I did. Many years ago, on a PBS station, I saw The Lathe of Heaven. But the lead actor was Bruce Davison. Could there possibly be more than one made-for-TV version of this movie?

What year was the James Caan version made?

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I never knew about this one, either.

The one with Bruce Davison was excellent.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Me too -- read the book in the '70s; remember the 1980 Bruce Davison movie; was unaware of the 1982 Lucas Haas movie. But, they're both available via Netflix, so I'm going to check it out.

ETA: Ouch! I'm reading some of the customer reviews on Netflix. (Reviews of the 2002 movie.) "Do not subject yourself to this pathetic hate-crime of a movie."

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this when it originally aired, but not since. I remember liking it pretty well. Maybe not absolutely world class, but pretty decent as made-for-tv goes. Plus I've always had a thing for Lisa Bonet. And it certainly was a better LeGuin adaptation than some. (anybody see Earthsea?)