UK or US Agent?

cameohitch

No, you're Don Francisco's sister!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I’m looking for an agent for my first ‘Young Adult’ novel. Since I live in Germany and the novel is written in American English, I was wondering where to look for an agent. Do British agents represent work written in American English? And if they don’t, how do the chances stand that an American agency is willing to work with somenone who’s based in Europe and who has only published poetry in (US) magazines so far?

I’d appreciate your advice on this one.

Thanks

D.C.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a UK-based writer trying to catch a US agent. Being outside of the US has not been a problem for the agents I've approached so far. I know a number of UK writers who have US-based agents.

It depends on where you are trying to sell your work. A UK agent will help a lot with selling to UK markets and they must see stuff written in American English all the time.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
When I first tried to get an agent I was living in Germany. It seemed to me obvious to get a British agent; for one thing, they'e nearer! Americna English won't be a problem; what might be a problem is the target audience. If the book is aimed at the American market, it might make sense to try them first. Your British agent will first find a British puboisher, and sell the American rights as subsidiary. With an American agent it's the other way around.
Whats the setting of your book? What nationality are the characters? If it's a US YA setting, you might have difficulty finding a British publisher. Hope this helps; good luck.

cameohitch

No, you're Don Francisco's sister!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
As a matter of fact, the book has a slight fantasy angle. Although it's set in a in a world which resembles the US/Europe very much, it contains no allusions to nationality or real places.
You're quite right, Aruna, the States are far, far away and should the Am. English pose no problem, I'd certainly feel more comfortable getting someone in the UK ( I'm a great one for saving time and money...)