Walking Dead TV vs Graphic Novel. Spoilers may be seen! Enter at your own risk!!

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I was thinking about starting a new thread on the Walking Dead. On the other one, we always are careful to avoid saying what happened in the comics so as to not ruin the show, even though they aren't following the comics too closely.

I just finished the 1st compendium. Wow. That really puts the graphic in graphic novels. At least from what I remember as a kid reading Spiderman!

So Shane is still alive in the show, but Sophia is dead. So will the other deaths in the comics happen? Or will others we haven't seen not happen?

Thoughts?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
How far along are you in the comics? I don't want to spoil anything for you.

(I just ordered the seventh book.)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that really bugged the hell out of me about the Walking Dead graphic novel? The fact that A) Everyone looked the same and B) Everyone keeps dying constantly. By the time they got to jail, I just stopped caring, and stopped reading.

The TV show is much better, if you ask me.

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the Walking Dead is an ongoing comic book series. It's not a graphic novel.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I just read up to the end of the first compendium. Which is where they are running away from the jail.

& yeah, I like the show better. Lori & Carol were pretty annoying in the comic, Andrea too, but she was annoying in the show as well. However, it was a differnt kind of annoying.

Interesting that there's no Tyrese yet?

I really hope Lori & the baby aren't killed in the show.

I do hope Shane does get killed.

I would love to see Walker Otis show up.

Do you think the show will hit the jail?

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I think that if they don't get to the jail, and/or they don't introduce Michonne as a character, fans of the comic series will revolt and never watch the show again. :)

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Michonne will certainly show at some point, she just has to. I think they are just dragging it out a bit.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Shit. I'll write an episode of the show and they don't have to rush me a blue ray copy. Not that I'd say no.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think that if they don't get to the jail, and/or they don't introduce Michonne as a character, fans of the comic series will revolt and never watch the show again. :)

Agreed. Now that they finally learned what happened to Sophia (and making it 1000% clear that the comic book is no indication of whether any of the characters will survive), I hope they get the hell off that farm and find the prison. The last six (right?) episodes of season 2 should be all about settling in the prison, getting new members (Tyrese, perhaps, with his daughter and her boyfriend; Michonne, definitely), and meeting the Governor -- I think it would be a great ending to have Rick, Glenn and Michonne captured by the Governor so they can fight in the gladiator pit -- and show what happens to Rick's hand. But hey, the creative minds behind the show didn't ask for my opinion... ;)

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here's another ?

You notice how we haven't seen anyone die who wasn't killed by zombie? With the exception of the season cliffhanger at the CDC, but there wasn't anything of them left to come back.

In the comic, anyone who dies comes back. So what about the tv show? Will they make it only in the even of zombie related death, or will it be anyone who buys the big one?

mhjess

Registered
Reaction score
I think Shane is hot, but I'm ready for him and Carl to have a little date with a gun, if you know what I mean. If Carl accidentally hit Lori, too, I wouldn't be upset.

Really, I think they should just change this show to Daryl is Awesome and Shoots Zombies with a Crossbow. I would watch that show all day.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think Shane is hot, but I'm ready for him and Carl to have a little date with a gun, if you know what I mean. If Carl accidentally hit Lori, too, I wouldn't be upset.

I wonder if the show is going to develop Carl's character in the same way that the comic book has. I have a feeling it won't. But I also have a feeling that they're going to kill Carl off because the People In Charge are going to quickly realize that dang, kid actors grow up REAL fast, and while the adult actors may all look like only a day or two has passed, the child actors will look like they've suddenly grown seven inches. So my money is that Carl will die and Lori and the baby will live.

Really, I think they should just change this show to Daryl is Awesome and Shoots Zombies with a Crossbow. I would watch that show all day.

He is absolutely a terrific character. He sort of is the person that Rick in the comic book becomes. You know, without the pesky limb-loss thing...

Nissie

not a beer
Registered
Reaction score

THIS. Normally adaptations set my teeth on edge, but the fact that Daryl is a TV-only character (so far) makes the series a billiongazillibillybobbion times more awesome.

I kinda hope Carl doesn't die, though. He's one of my favorites in the graphic novel, too, and he's the best example of a kid learning to mature and adapt the right way despite all the crazy homicidal adults around him.

mhjess

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to see Carl die, if only because Lori would be even more insufferable than she already is.

I hold out hope that Lori will somehow die. She is kind of too stupid to live as is. I mean, who goes out into a field in the middle of the night to pee on a stick when there are perfectly good bathrooms right there? She was just asking to get eaten by a zombie.

I've been really frustrated with the television season 2 of TWD, but one thing I am thankful for is the show introducing me to Norman Reedus. That is one fine man.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I guess we all want the prison, and want crazy-ass Michonne. But I hope Rick keeps his hand; not out of sentimentality, but because I think it was a bad choice on Kirkman's part. (And it'd be a pain in the ass to film thereafter.)

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I guess we all want the prison, and want crazy-ass Michonne. But I hope Rick keeps his hand; not out of sentimentality, but because I think it was a bad choice on Kirkman's part. (And it'd be a pain in the ass to film thereafter.)

That was relatively early in the series. So much has changed since then.