Subconcious Plotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic

Anomaly
Registered
Reaction score
So, here's what happened a few days ago:
I'm writing a story, a lovely 13k word fantasy which I've been toying around with for the past 6 months or so. Seemed my timing was spot on, 'cuz I managed to crank it out much faster than I had expected (thought I'd give it about a month, had it done in a week)- seriously, I was in love with this thing, to the point where I'd have to stretch my fingers so I'd stop mashing up the words (Seemed I didn't have the typing skill to keep up with the mental picture).
I'd had the plot figured out from day one- It's about a rescue mission, saving a VIP from the bad guys via Faustian bargain, boom and done, but something else happened. On the last day of typing up the rough draft, a tiny invisible shuriken, made out of epiphony, flew out of the darkness and into my head- A twist?
Not just any twist, but the twist- the one which occurs to you on the drive home, or in the middle of the night, or maybe even mid-coitus- and tells you that it's time to sacrifice an hour or two of precious sleep so that you might nourish it into realization.

I'd had no intentions or knowledge of this new development. The plot was meant to play out just as I'd intended it: 1-Bad guys have us beat, oh no! 2- Black magic and corruption, secret weapon against bad guys! 3- It worked, we're saved, and the end.

Anyways, the story took a massive left turn, not even 2k words before the end, and I was baffled at how well it all fit together. Suddenly, I found myself having flashbacks of clutching a pillow in terror while discovering that Bruce Willis was a ghost, that Mr. Bemis broke his glasses, that Madeline Usher had been alive when she was entombed...

After clawing out ample amounts of hair and skin, I finished the story. It seemed almost too perfect, as though the planning of this story had been taking place far longer than my idle thoughts leading up to its writing had assumed, and I was hoping you all could share similar experiences- times when the story you've been working on suddenly pulls out the bloody hook on the door handle from behind its back, a hidden element or twist which surprises you just as much as it would (hopefully) surprise the reader. Do share!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've used this example before, but it's the best I've had so far. My characters often do things I don't anticipate, and usually it's even something major, like a character dying or being injured, etc. Not often an actual twist, though, just a plot element I didn't think of when initially plotting it.

I did have one story a couple of stories ago, though, where halfway through the book one of my main characters betrayed the other one. It came completely out of nowhere and shocked me. I'd had no idea she would do something like that. It also ended up being one of the coolest plot elements I've written. Lots of other problems with that book, but that part of it was pretty awesome.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
It's funky, isn't it? When our characters, the worlds they live in, the lives they lead,won't go in directions we plan out for them.

I think it's a magical experience, and not so much subconscious as just that we've allowed the project (almost literally) to come alive.

I'm not sure it improves our writing, but I *do* think our best ideas come from that.

Keisha Perry

Registered
Reaction score
I love these moments! I usually get them when I'm not writing but its always a moment of pure euphoria! My characters in my current WIP tend to talk to me quite frequently saying, "Hey I would NOT do that, I'd do this..." or "How about flesh eating maggots, tell me that isn't cool!"
It's now a running joke in my family that I talk to the voices in my head, but hey, whatever works!

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite parts of writing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.